Like Tree37Likes

Xray XB8E thread

Old 06-12-2019, 12:22 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by TheWorstDriver View Post
Hey guys, I'm going to need some help here.

I'm converting my XB8 2019 Nitro practice car into an E-buggy. Its my first entry into E-buggy, so I didn't want to go all in with a new E-kit just yet. I picked up all of the 2018 E-buggy conversion parts on the cheap (see pic below). Hopefully those will still line up with the 2019 chassis, if you see an issue let me know. I'll be running the Tekin RX8 Gen 3, with the Tekin 1900Kv. Also looks like I'll be running the Maclan LCG 5200mAh Graphene 4S 15.2V Carbon 120C Race Formula LiPo Battery, but I'm open to suggestions. Might try the SMC and Protek packs. I will be racing at the club races locally until I get the hang of E-buggy, so it needs to run full out for 10min heats.

Couple questions:
1. Is the center diff gearing the same (46T)?
2. Diff oils about the same (6K 7K 3K)?
3. What pinion (large outdoor)?
4. I've got lighter sway bars, any other recommendations?

Here is the kit I picked up, any other parts you think I might need, or E-specific parts I need to stock? I've got a ton of 2019 parts for my nitro's, I assume most suspension, & drive-train parts cross over, but let me know. If I like running this E-thingy, I'll be picking up a new kit later this summer.

Thanks!

1, Diff is same 46.
2, Stock setup. 6,7,3. I have been running 6.5.3 that did make car easier when track had some holes, as E-motor have always more punch than Nitro engine.
3, Im running 16t on good size of track, that should work most of tracks. Im running HW 1900kv.
4, I feel E-buggy might work best 2.2-2.2 or 2.2-2.4 swaybars. I have updated Aluminium C-hubs, 352655 link ball, 353381 2mm shims and Medium front arms.
1-2 caster insert might help some tracks. Im also running 4 front spring. Some guys have tested soft non-ribbed shock bladders to get shocks softer on bumby tracks.

As for batteries im sunning HW 1900kv and have no problem making 10minutes with 5000mah-5500mah Shortys. Lately I been running 6000mah long packs (2x 2S full size).
Old 06-12-2019, 12:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Here is my setup:
Sorry could not upload setup.

Last edited by DJ78; 06-12-2019 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm converting my XB8 2019 Nitro practice car into an E-buggy. Its my first entry into E-buggy, so I didn't want to go all in with a new E-kit just yet. I picked up all of the 2018 E-buggy conversion parts on the cheap (see pic below). Hopefully those will still line up with the 2019 chassis, if you see an issue let me know. I'll be running the Tekin RX8 Gen 3, with the Tekin 1900Kv. Also looks like I'll be running the Maclan LCG 5200mAh Graphene 4S 15.2V Carbon 120C Race Formula LiPo Battery, but I'm open to suggestions. Might try the SMC and Protek packs. I will be racing at the club races locally until I get the hang of E-buggy, so it needs to run full out for 10min heats.
Couple questions:
  • Most of the parts in that kit will work just fine, the major parts (if not all) should be the same as the 2019 e-buggy, cross compatibility is excellent with Xray in my experience, across year models especially.
  • Center diff gearing should be same at 46T, interestingly they use the higher oil volume diff in the nitro version (it's not a small difference, nearly double from memory) which is IMO preferable and they should have included it with the XB8E anyway. If anything it's more necessary on the E with higher torque, no clutch, etc. Not sure if they updated this for '19E but either way, you've already got the superior setup IMO.
  • From memory the standard pinion is usually 15T, you might want to go up a little for a larger track, keeping an eye on motor temps (at end of run) as the limiting factor.
  • I see no need for lighter sway bars
  • I've definitely found thicker diff oil in the center diff is useful on e-buggy, at least 10k, easily higher for those who like more rear-drive effect (myself) - but probably a matter of preference and may not be the same for you. Front and rear can stay ballpark same, I run 7F 3R.
There's really no need to buy the legitimate XB8E kit if you've got a '19 and a conversion, really the changes even between 17/18/19 are very minor.
TheWorstDriver likes this.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Perfect! Thanks for taking the time to get that down for me.

I ended up ordering a 16T pinion. I'll try 7-8-3K in the diffs, because 8K is the highest I have on hand, will order some 10K.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Couple questions:

Here is the kit I picked up, any other parts you think I might need, or E-specific parts I need to stock? I've got a ton of 2019 parts for my nitro's, I assume most suspension, & drive-train parts cross over, but let me know. If I like running this E-thingy, I'll be picking up a new kit later this summer.

Thanks!

Looks like your on the right track.. I run 46/16 or 17 pinion. Diffs and setup are same to my nitro. Maybe just a tad stiffer on diffs.. for you I might also go 50 higher on shocks as well.. I personally run 2x 2s shorties to balance weight..
Old 06-12-2019, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

Currently I run proline AE ebuggy body on my car with no issues
Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
Looks like your on the right track.. I run 46/16 or 17 pinion. Diffs and setup are same to my nitro. Maybe just a tad stiffer on diffs.. for you I might also go 50 higher on shocks as well.. I personally run 2x 2s shorties to balance weight..
Could you post a picture of how the two shorty batteries are in your buggy? Not sure I've ever seen that arrangement in an e-buggy.
Old 06-13-2019, 11:59 AM
Tech Elite

here are pictures of what ty showed us on the team page.. and i did exaclty this.. cut off the plate that the speedo originally sits on and then use the XB2 motor plate brace to stop the batteries. I drill two new holes in the chassis 12mm forward of the rear pair of existing tray holes.. what i mean by rear holes.. there are 4 holes in the chassis.. 2 in front.. 2 in rear.. using the rearward holes.. o0 o0, measure 12mm foward of those 2 holes.. add 35g of weight on the motor side of the car.. balances out perfect on the hudy balance pins

Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dgrobe2112 View Post
here are pictures of what ty showed us on the team page.. and i did exaclty this.. cut off the plate that the speedo originally sits on and then use the XB2 motor plate brace to stop the batteries. I drill two new holes in the chassis 12mm forward of the rear pair of existing tray holes.. what i mean by rear holes.. there are 4 holes in the chassis.. 2 in front.. 2 in rear.. using the rearward holes.. o0 o0, measure 12mm foward of those 2 holes.. add 35g of weight on the motor side of the car.. balances out perfect on the hudy balance pins

Seems like a lot of unnecessary work when a smaller single pack 4S lipo, like a SMC 3700 would do the same thing with a lower center of gravity, without having to modify the battery tray.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=512
Old 06-16-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Adept

Well I've done the conversion from nitro to E-buggy, was easy and quick, took about an afternoon. I ordered batteries before I noticed you posted about the custom shorty setup, so I'll run it in stock form for now. I'm running The Tekin Gen 3 ESC, with the T8 2050Kv motor and a REEDy 4S 15.2v LiHV. Also picked up a Protek 4100mah 15.2v LiHV LCG batt for qualifying runs, its lower and lighter.

I did take it out and run a few packs through it to see what falls off, however nothing went wrong at all. I worked with the torque curve, braking, and the radios throttle curve to make it drive really smooth during those initial runs, obviously it has nearly limitless power. Its fast in every way, but boring and sole-less, as are all electric race cars. lol. Its possible I win the first race out, its really dialed with the MIP pistons and +50 CST oil wt front and rear. On the last run of the test day, I ran 10+ minutes without a marshal, lap times near nitro buggy pace. Still boring though,... lol.

Xray XB8E 2019
dgrobe2112 and DJ78 like this.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarlCrocco View Post
Seems like a lot of unnecessary work when a smaller single pack 4S lipo, like a SMC 3700 would do the same thing with a lower center of gravity, without having to modify the battery tray.

https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php...product_id=512
first thing.. the 3700 wont make 10 minute mains for sure..
#2, it puts the weight so the car feels more like my nitro car, the way it jumps, lands, and handles through the corners.. the modification.. took.. 30 minutes to do.. not that much unnecessary work if you ask me.. and i can make 10 minute mains..
#3, didnt cost anything to make the modifications..
Old 06-21-2019, 12:07 AM
Tech Adept

So, I did my first ever E-buggy race after only one day of setup and practice mentioned above. (See FPV drone video of first test run). Took 3rd place, so not too bad for this last minute nitro to E conversion. My driving will need adjustment for e-buggy, its a different style, and new to me. Will need to test some different diff setups, and choose a tire that can handle that kinda torque! I will get much, much faster with this lil whip.

However, I TQ'd and took first in Nitro, so still way faster in nitro, LOL.

Yellow Xray XB8E 2019 FPV footage at Eagle RC:
uDi_MP7.5, ScottZ and vsral like this.
Old Today, 01:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Did some suspension testing with old soft non ribbed membranes. I didnt get them really working on my car. Using them rear end didnt have support I needed on long corners. Laptimes were not that much different but with ribbed 2019 membranes car felt more secure and gave better stability. Same effect was also running too soft rear swaybar. Landing on bigger jumps also ribbed membranes gave better bottoming resistance.
Running C-Hub at front there was difference running tower mouting hole more inside. Running out hole as starting setup car felt good but didnt have same speed as middle or inside. Inside got me best laps but front end started to slap ground on biggest landings. I was running medium and low grip clay track again when did testing.
Old Today, 07:39 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DJ78 View Post
Did some suspension testing with old soft non ribbed membranes. I didnt get them really working on my car. Using them rear end didnt have support I needed on long corners. Laptimes were not that much different but with ribbed 2019 membranes car felt more secure and gave better stability. Same effect was also running too soft rear swaybar. Landing on bigger jumps also ribbed membranes gave better bottoming resistance.
Running C-Hub at front there was difference running tower mouting hole more inside. Running out hole as starting setup car felt good but didnt have same speed as middle or inside. Inside got me best laps but front end started to slap ground on biggest landings. I was running medium and low grip clay track again when did testing.
I was thinking of trying the older style membranes, but didn't know if they would seal up in the 2019 caps. I ordered the new 2019 red/firm membranes to test with, will post back.