Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Stadium Truck or Short Course >

Stadium Truck or Short Course

Stadium Truck or Short Course

Old 07-12-2014, 06:57 PM
Tech Champion

I'd love to see the Monster Truck class come back strong!
Old 07-12-2014, 06:59 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Exclamation ST

Stadium Truck is making a strong comeback, I recommend you all get one and join in the fun!
Old 07-12-2014, 07:05 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Talking

Originally Posted by Dave H
I'd love to see the Monster Truck class come back strong!

Old 07-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Stadium truck runs faster laps and jumps better.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:45 AM
dtr
Tech Master

ST's are the ugliest abominations I have ever seen on a racetrack. Surely SCT's are harder to drive but feel more real.
Old 07-13-2014, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by XXXDad

The class started out as Monster Trucks. Originally a club level class for Tamiya BlackFoot (think BigFoot), Monster Beetle, Lunch Box, Mauri Big Bear, and the like. It morphed into the ROAR recognized national class that continues to this day with the immense popularity of the Losi JRX-T, labeled as a Racing Monster Truck. As was the follow up LX-T. Over time the Monster label was lost, and it was just called Truck at Roar and local events in my experience. Even recently it’s been listed as Racing Truck or Off-Road Truck to distinguish it from Short Course.

The history explains why they look the way they do, with the large equally sized wheels that stick out beyond the body. Distinct from the SCORE, Mickey Thompson, CORR, etc. trucks.

Given the heights of today’s jump oriented tracks it is arguably a better description as well. Full size monster trucks frequently take on larger jumps, kickups and such, than at least the short course type tracks I’ve seen on TV.

So yes, bring back Monster Trucks!
Old 07-13-2014, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looking back, I wish they would of kept "Monster Truck" as the name. More accurate than stadium.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What I've noticed is short course is for the guys who want to race/tune and have fun.

Buggies seem to be where all the guys go when they want to go full 100. That's too much for my taste I went short course his time cause it seems the best of both fun and performance. If I keep in it and can find a fat wallet I might finally go buggy in the future but too much tuning for my taste and like I said all the buggy guys always seem like full blown racers.

Short course tend to be a mix of both fun timers and track killers.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stadium Truck! Short Course was a fun class when there were more fast guys racing it, but lately it has been a low turnout class at club events, and at larger events it will have 25-30 entries, but the top half of the A Main is the same group of guys every race. Stadium Truck is more competitive, but isn't quite as difficult as 2wd buggy. I get the realism thing for SCT, but if more new racers were steered towards ST I think they would get better faster because clean driving means a lot more in open wheel classes.
Attached Thumbnails Stadium Truck or Short Course-sat-dychetact.jpg  
Old 07-13-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Monster truck would be a cool class to bring back for sure. The traxxas Maxx and revo trucks would dominate though.

As for me... Stadium just seems so much more "racey" than sct ever will. I would love to see a nation wide stadium return. Especially because they are easier to drive drive than a buggy, but at the same time can be driven very fast, and look good doing it.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

For me it would definitely be Stadium truck for a few reasons:

Easier to drive in my eyes
Teaches finesse driving that Short Course racing lacks
Makes the transition to 2wd buggy easier if they ever decide to run one
Old 07-13-2014, 04:06 PM
Tech Champion

I think it’s interesting to compare the entry sizes at some of the medium to big races.

2014 JConcepts Summer Indoor Race running this weekend:

17.5 Truck: 25 entries
17.5 2wd SCT: 15
Mod Truck: 13
Mod 2wd SCT: 19

2014 Cactus Classic:

17.5 Truck: 32
17.5 2wd SCT: 13
Mod Truck: 14
Mod 2wd SCT: 15

2013 Roar Nats:

17.5 Truck: 25
17.5 2wd SCT: 16
Mod Truck: 16
Mod 2wd SCT: 13

Doesn't appear Truck is going away, at least at larger events. Regardless, I’m in favor of some class consolidation either way, any of these entry numbers are too low for my likes.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

While I enjoy driving a stadium truck much more and I love them as an rc vehicle, I'd rather have sct stick around as a racing class. Why? Because I feel, as some have stated, it is the better beginner/basher class. SCT is very forgiving. I think we need a spot for entry level drivers that allows drivers to get used to racing without the consequences and all of the seriousness. If they want to take it more serious... get into the buggy class. The hard part about this is should beginner drivers be racing something that is easy(sct) or something that teaches them not to contact racers or barriers (ST). It also attracts new drivers because of the scale realism. Stadium trucks really are wider, longer buggies with bigger tires. They seem a bit redundant when we have the sct class going strong now, however I fully understand why people want to revive the class.
Old 07-13-2014, 04:59 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I have the unpopular opinion, of SC! I think that Stadium tucks seems too much like buggy, and were a tad redundant. I like how different the SC trucks are compared to the buggies.
Old 07-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I kinda like the realism of SC. I think monster truck (ST) looks soo out of proportion to be called a ST. It's a dying class out here. SC is the real stadium truck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.