Gas truck
1 class for everyone
Motor Cross
Retro
Old 07-11-2014, 07:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawner85
People just have it stuck in their heads that new people ruin the sport. Your not a pro driver. Period. If someone doesn't get out of your way your not loosing sponsorships or any real money. Just pride. Your comparing pros racing pros. A completely different world. People just need to get over themselves a little bit. So let's say a new guy causes you to crash, so what? You come in second instead of first in a club race? Monday morning you go to your job all pissed off, who's priorities are out of wack?

It's a hobby where you race toy cars around a track with other people driving toy cars. Keep it in perspective.
I agree with this guy 100%. Its toy cars at the end of the day and we want to see this hobby grow because truly this hobby only exist in cali, here in alabama the hobby stores and tracks are shutting down. Some of y'all act like y'all are racing professionally and you're not. We are all club level guys on here with the exception of a few that are pro level. Last I checked its a hobby to enjoy, which I do. I have recently started racing and really enjoy the fun and enjoyable atmosphere.

I do agree as well to get out of the way of the faster guys on the track to be respectful of them.

Getting back on topic! I really would like to see stadium trucks come back along with 4wd buggies. The 1/8 classes are cool but a lot of the tracks here are smaller so they feel huge and out of place on the track.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:51 PM
Tech Adept

Honestly, I think the next big thing in off-road, at least for the U.S. is going to indoor carpet.

Costs are so high for tracks its really hard for them to sustain themselves.

With the declining amount of hobby shops and tracks we may be moving to an era where you have to have a local club that sets up the races in a high school gym or whatever is available just to race in some areas...
Old 07-11-2014, 10:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Stadium truck come back. Associated t5 and 22t 2.0 will pull more people to it.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Hoese37
They tried this already. Remember the J Concepts J82? Me either.
I agree with you on this, but only one company offering a conversion is hardly trying in my opinion.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Two more years, and you will see the 1/10 nitro truck pop back up.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:25 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Why are so many electric guys hung up on making a 1/5th scale Electric? Gas is easier, more reliable, and cheaper. Don't confuse gas with nitro.

The big problem is: Gas 1/5th have limited acceleration. They can be safely run on larger outdoor 1/8th scale tracks. We run them every weekend they show up. About as safe as truggy.

Electric 1/5th scale is insane. Acceleration is off the scale. It juust isn't safe anywhere outside of a true 1/5th scale facility.

Just like it was when nitrobuggies were being converted, they're going waay too big with the powerplants. Maybe they'll relax eventually.

If you're avoiding 1/5th scale because you're and electric guy? Don't. It's no worse than the weedwacker in your tool shed.

I'm with you 100% on this. 1/5 Sct or Stadium style trucks. Cheap and the easiest to operate and work on because everything is bigger and easier to tune than any brushless motor and esc period. The sound of a modded, stroked out 30.5cc with a nice pipe is heavy metal to the ears. Im hoping and wishing that Tekno will one day very soon release a two stroke 1/5 Sct to compete with the losi. Come on Tekno, if you build it, heads will turn for sure.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:01 AM
Tech Regular

Here's my take on this:

When I started, I had a Frog... thought it was great, only raced onroad as that was all that was in my area. When the RC10 came out, I got one of those, modified it with McAlister lowering kit, swiss cheesed the chassis and still raced onroad. My father and I picked up Black Magic Motors, Hyperdrive and Lazerlyte as sponsors and started racing pan cars. This was when the 1500SCR and 1700SCE batteries were all that were available. Truly some of the most fun I have ever had when I wasn't being a little snot

I really wanted a 1/8 scale Inferno back then, but at nearly $1500-2000 in the early 90s. It wasn't happening. So whats changed, well the 8th scales have entered the price point were the top electric cars were in the 90s and more people can afford and race them now. E-Buggies / Truggies price points are coming down allowing more to race a "fast" class with less tuning issues of the nitros. Slowly E-Buggy is becoming cheaper than Nitro... at competetion level anyways. (In some cases they are, and long term they def. are)

Now here are the areas I am having problems with in this hobby. 1/10 scale prices are on the climb... Half the total weight of raw materials at almost the same cost of some of the 1/8 rigs. HB/ X-Ray/ Kyosho/ TLR (All over $400-$500) etc... why race a 1/10 4wd rig knowing I need a smooth track with 1/10 scale jumps when I can buy a 1/8 scale for almost the same cost run it anywhere and know the durability will be great... as for parts.. they are almost the same... $4 for 12 3x12 screws... REALLY?? (I know I can find cheaper...extreme example, but you get the point)

Once upon a time I could say because total maint. cost on a 1/10 would be cheaper, but a pair of tires is almost the same. Hell 3 years ago I could buy a set of AKA for $20, now the cost is +$27, SCT $28+!!! Truggy tires... forget it... lol Tell me how a set of 1/10 scale buggy tires weighing and using 1/2 the material of 1/8 scale costs only $7 less.

Whats killing this sport? Cost, plain and simple, not of the vehicles, except in 1/10th scale, but in wear items, common items, $45 lexan bodies???? $15 tooth brush from upgrade RC, dog bones, drive shafts (have you seen how much xray and kyosho charge?) $600 radio with $120+ receivers that I need 4-5 of... transpoders that are almost required $90-100... list goes on. Do I pay for this stuff, YEP, cause I compete and enjoy it. Would it be more fun if I could spend half what I do considering I drive +4 hours once or twice a month to attend the large races, sure would...

How to make this hobby thrive? Reduce costs period, make RTRs that are equal in motor and type so people can start there. Not one 4x4 with a 3700kv and another brand with a 4000kv etc... one brand of 2wd with 13.5 and another with 4600kv or something... I like the idea of manufactures making or agreeing on an RTR equal vehicle for its class. Start with 2wd SCT and 2wd Buggy and go from there... Both with 13.5 class motors or something, include a set of racing tires for the rear along with bashing tires...

As for the carpet/ astro on indor tracks... why not, the clay tracks with sugar and traction sauce are just as bad, where's the off road in that. May as well just lay the carpet down. I actually enjoy the speed a precision of races where traction isn't a determining factor. But again I enjoy the outdoor rooster tails and mud (Ok maybe not the mud)...

As far as the next big thing:
Carpet/ Astro
4wd Buggy
2wd ST
4wd ST (Would be awesome)
1/10 4wd Truggy

Last edited by Stirex; 07-12-2014 at 05:12 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hacksback
I got to admit I disagree with you. If somebody is faster than you and they are coming around to lap you that means they probably take the racing much more seriously than you. To try to get around a driver that can't go straight is sometimes more difficult than it really seems. To top this off being that fast driver you are the one that has dedicated all your time to getting that fast. To have it taken away because someone can't move out and go wide and lose a quarter second (when they are not in contention for the lead) for them to take you out so both of you guys lose 15 seconds is not fair or respectful. If racers want to get faster and learn from more experienced drivers they have to treat them with respect.

2 way street.

But yea, regardless, no yelling on the driver stand if you really have a problem bring it to the race director.
My point was about grown men acting like children. Yes slower cars should let the leaders pass but if person can't drive a straight line what makes you think they can move out the way? And with 8-12 cars on the track how is a new guy supposed to know who is a lead lap car or a lap car? Can't a lap car race another lap car? Courtesy and respect go both ways. It is equally wrong for the leader to punt a lap car just to get by him, and this happens all to often.

Again, this is something that could be easily fixed by addressing it in a drivers meeting. The race director needs to let people know that if they are a lap car he will ask them to move out of the way when the leader is coming though. And if the race director doesn't tell you to move then race on! If people have a problem take it up with the race director.

99% of rc racers are club racers and probably started because they thought it was fun. Yes winning makes it more fun but if you're only having fun when you win then it might be time to find a new hobby. I can hold my own in a club race and at that level I've won a toy car race or two and lost many more, but I always walk off the drivers stand with a smile on my face whether I've won the a main or broke on the first lap of the C main.

The obvious death of rc racing will be the inability to retain new comers. Either because of the cost, or the "pro club racer" mentality we see all to often. Let face it if you're not getting a paycheck, all your gear and travel paid for from a rc manufacturer then you're not pro, a 50% discount on purchases from Team X doesn't count as a being a pro racer. Just means you're a part time commissioned salesman at best.

But back on topic the next big thing just needs to be a spec class for new racers only. Spec batteries, tires, speed controls, but in a quality yet affordable hobby quality vehicle that can quickly and cost effectively be upgraded to race in a faster class as the skill level improves. We need consistent rule making across all sanctioning bodies and tracks who will join and enforce the rules. We don't need a slew of new products and race classes to further dilute and complicate things. Its to complicated already.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:24 AM
Tech Legend

I run a Rc race car.

Its a highly tuned machine built for victory.

Toys ?

There for children and no one races toys to my knowledge.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
I run a Rc race car.

Its a highly tuned machine built for victory.

Toys ?

There for children and no one races toys to my knowledge.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Legend

When ever I come up on a toy rc car on the track ?

Usually give it the wheel as I past by & yell beat it...

Is that ok ?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

1/10 buggy, maybe
Old 07-12-2014, 09:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Two more years, and you will see the 1/10 nitro truck pop back up.
Still holding on to mine for this very day.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Legend

Beat u all, bringN mind to track today & getting ready to run.

Got some 12mm shocks for it too..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.