Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
??'s   Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ??? >

??'s Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

??'s Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 02:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ??'s Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???

Hello.... I own a RC8bE (factory team)and have had very good luck with it, I bash it and race it on a large outdoor dirt track which is VERY bumpy and rough, most guys run 1/8 scale Truggys and 1/5 scale 5T's on it... My Losi 8ight-T (electric) runs GREAT on this track (when the track is dry, it is a VERY hard surface that gets VERY dusty (cars run very loose and spin out alot). I run my RC8be on it alot, tried different tires and setups, but can not get it to hook up like the larger Truggys (like my Losi 8T). So...... I am looking to turn my RC8be more into a Truggy or Muggy, but I don't want to do the whole conversion (such as longer (Truggy) a-arms, cvd's, etc.. so I just purchaced a set of OFNA MT3 Splits and OFNA 81157 MT Spike Tires... FYI, the OFNA rims have 100% negative offset, meaning that the hub mounting surface is all the way towards the back of the wheel.. Making the wheels stick out (so it stands wider and doesn't rub the body or vehicle..... Well, after doing that, the buggy stands tough and will go over harsh terrains, but the problem that I have is that when I run it in the grass and bash/race, the traction is so good (tires are super soft and huge) it keeps on pulling the front tires off the ground and flips over alot, hard to control on-throttle while turning...... I am thinking of changing over to a RC8T chassis to make it longer to help stop this from happening... Will this longer chassis help with this??? Will everything bolt up to the Truggy Chassis???? Like I said, I don't want to spend the money on longer a-arms and such, that's why I went with the OFNA wheel set up... What else would I need besides a chassis to do this?? (center drive shafts)??? Any suggestions/thoughts for my conversion??? I just mounted the shocks in the lowest position on the towers to lower the vehicle but haven't tried it out yet, thinking it may help just a bit...

Last edited by camncars; 08-26-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Longer won't help, wider will.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Here is a pic comparison of the buggy wheels, truggy wheels, and the OFNA MT wheels that I have... (note the last pic with the offset of the MT wheels...
Attached Thumbnails ??'s   Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???-dsc01208-medium-.jpg   ??'s   Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???-dsc01209-medium-.jpg   ??'s   Converting Team Associated RC8be to a Truggy/Muggy ???-dsc01210-medium-.jpg  
Old 08-26-2014, 03:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Longer won't help, wider will.
I can understand on why wider will help with rolling over (ecpecially when turning hard with the 100% grip/traction, but in a straight line either from a dead stop, 10mph punch 20mph punch, etc, it just has so much traction/power that it pulls the front wheels off the ground and starts to backflip... I was thinking the longer chassis will help that issue... When I just compared the width to my Losi Truggy, they are just about the same width from outside tire to outside tire, but obviouslly truggy is longer.... (more of the straight line punch that I am trying to correct, and know I will have to baby it more while turning while on-throttle)
Old 08-26-2014, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

If it's back flipping, the longer chassis might help some.
Old 08-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your center diff is not working correctly. It should diff out when the front tires come off the ground.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Initiate

Well, I just did another test run in my back yard after putting the shocks to the lowest ground clearance setting.. It seemed to help quite a bit with a lower center of gravity... I did some high speed turns and it wasn't rolling over... Center diff seems to be working fine... It still pops wheelies when I gun it, from a stop and from a roll at lower speeds, so I think the longer 'T' Chassis will help with that happening.. My motor temps were a bit high after constantly beating the crap out of it (185 degrees F) and I am going to change to a 50t spur instead of a 46, and maybe step the pinion down a tooth as well..... When I change the spur, and rebuild the center diff, what weight should I go with to make it 'diff-down' to help the front from lifting???
I have the manual for both the Buggy and Truggy, just trying to figure out everything I need to go with the T chassis... (minus the 'T' a-arms, etc.... Off the top of my head I think I need the T chassis and front and rear center bones... What about shock towers??? I think I can use my B shock towers but may need to make some mounts to use my buggy body or differetnt body mounts if I need a truggy body....??? Any ideas welcome???
Old 08-26-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Initiate

I just came across this Tekno kit for the RC8T http://www.teknorc.com/shop/tkr4506-...r-42mm-motors/
Will this work with my rc8b parts? Good choice to get for my conversion idea???