Wiki Posts
Search

First Kit? SCT or Schumacher Aero

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 09:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default First Kit? SCT or Schumacher Aero

Hi all,
Just getting back into RC after 25 years. I have done a lot of forum reading and looking at different manufacturer's sites. I am looking for some advice on what car to buy. I now have it down to either a short course truck (Tekno or Losi) or a Schumacher buggy. I like the look of the SCT as a class, and have narrowed it down to those two trucks based on various reviews.
I like all the carbon technology in the Schumacher. It looks like the highest quality kit around.
I don't see myself getting into racing, as there is no track close by and I don't have a lot of free time. I will be bashing it around, but not abusing it. I tried a couple of local shops, but they either had no stock or were generally unhelpful, so I am happy to stay on line.
Has to be in kit form, a big part of why it want to get into this hobby is building and maintaining the car. I am looking forward to the build as much as the driving.
Budget is around $1,000.
So, I think my question is really one of general durability. Is the Schumacher delicate race-day only vehicle? As much as I want to tinker, if the Schumacher is going to need constant repairs because it is simply not made for bashing, that makes my decision easier.
Thanks all, and apologies for such an oddball newbie question.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Shumacher is not for bashing at all. Track only.

For bashing not much can top a ⅛ buggy or truggy, and can also be driven at a track.
Old 06-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes the Schumacher is a bit fragile for bashing. Between the Losi and the Tekno, id recommend the Tekno. Its a better quality plastic. Ive ran mine for a year now and I have yet to wear any part out. The losi plastic gets worm pretty quickly, and it develops slop.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hoese37
Yes the Schumacher is a bit fragile for bashing. Between the Losi and the Tekno, id recommend the Tekno. Its a better quality plastic. Ive ran mine for a year now and I have yet to wear any part out. The losi plastic gets worm pretty quickly, and it develops slop.
Who else besides me locally runs a Schumacher wheeler ?

I've broke one arm , and one front upper bulkhead ( when a SCT jumped the pipe , and I hit it full bore on the straight.
I would not call them delicate at all . but at 23mm off the ground it is not a bashers machine.
Old 06-28-2014, 04:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

From a bashing standpoint, theres no real mod4 that's gonna take the abuse.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:39 PM
Tech Champion

Any car with a carbon chassis and exposed belts is not good for bashing. It might be pretty durable for a 4wd buggy, but just the design keeps it from being a good car for anything but the track. 4wd buggies do have roots in the 4wd tc market, and those don't make good bashers either, not because of durability, but due to design as well.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks all,
I am a bit sad that the Schumacher is not the vehicle for me right now, as it is such a great looking piece of engineering. Maybe for car #2!
Things have changed in the 25 years since I had my tamiya frog.
If I have considered traxxas, associated, losi, Kyosho and tekno for a sct, am I missing out on another manufacturer? I know each will have their pros and cons, so am not asking for a which one is best (there are threads I can search), but rather if I missing some brand that I should consider.
Thanks again.
Old 06-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AKWL
Thanks all,
I am a bit sad that the Schumacher is not the vehicle for me right now, as it is such a great looking piece of engineering. Maybe for car #2!
Things have changed in the 25 years since I had my tamiya frog.
If I have considered traxxas, associated, losi, Kyosho and tekno for a sct, am I missing out on another manufacturer? I know each will have their pros and cons, so am not asking for a which one is best (there are threads I can search), but rather if I missing some brand that I should consider.
Thanks again.
There is also Serpent and Team C.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:50 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Go 1/8 scale for bashing unless you want a crawler just my opinion. The sct's are real hard on lipos when it comes to bashing especially the Tekno. I have a Tekno sct410 and schumacher buggy and I have bashed an 1/8 scale buggy so this is coming from my experience. And for playing in the dirt pick up a set of badlands and let the grass know how much you hate it.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Axial Wraith. Thing is an absolute blast and you can do so much with them. I have bashed with 8th scales, short course trucks, monster trucks and more. If I could only have 1 vehicle to bash with, it would be a wraith hands down.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Serpents tend to be very durable.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jwill05
Go 1/8 scale for bashing unless you want a crawler just my opinion. The sct's are real hard on lipos when it comes to bashing especially the Tekno. I have a Tekno sct410 and schumacher buggy and I have bashed an 1/8 scale buggy so this is coming from my experience. And for playing in the dirt pick up a set of badlands and let the grass know how much you hate it.
Run 3s or 4s on the tekno sct will help
Old 06-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Champion

the wraith is certainly not a very fast basher. your old tamiya will probably be faster.... but if slow driving with wide turns is what you are into, or some light trail type stuff... the wraith is great.

for bashing... the tekno over the losi for sure. you can get either the act, or the buggy they make, and both are practically identical. the buggy might be a little more bash friendly though.
Old 06-29-2014, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

just don't do a lot of hard onroad bashing with that metal chassis. Metal chassis+ large jumps and bumps on hard asphalt=tons of wear, and possible bending.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:50 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Depending on the type of bashing you want to do, I would definitely look at the Traxxas options.
I race short course (Losi SCTE) and it is a great product but with 25mm ground clearance it is designed for racing on a track.
Deep grass, ruts, rocks etc would really limit the fun factor in my opinion. I don't bash so I really cannot comment on whats fun or not.

Traxxas, has some monster trucks, rally cars and other options that will go anywhere and are very durable. And parts are available at most hobby shops.
Make sure you go to a brushless system to get horsepower!!!