which to choose?

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Tech Adept

Default which to choose?

There's a hobby people close to where I work, and right down the street from 2 dirt tracks. I've been looking for a cheap sct, and they had their rtr DHK hunter (brushed) on sale for $170, and I went ahead and bought one on a whim. came to $185 after tax. I had a final today so I didn't have time to go to the track with it, so I just played around with it a bit in my back yard, and it's for sure a fun truck.

But then I saw this
http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/for/4490880780.html
Irvine is a bit of a drive for me (~75 miles) but I recently drove almost as far for a frog, so it's not that big of a deal if I head out on an off hour (which doesn't really exist when commuting through LA, but I might get lucky)
Should I just stick with the Hunter, or return it and go for the slash?
I've been wanting to make the switch to lipos, so I could use the charger as well.
Old 06-04-2014, 01:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

Definitely the slash.

My reasoning:

BrushLESS motor - Infinitely superior to the burshed; faster, less maintenance, more efficient

Better Quality - Traxxas make good cars, and some of the elements on the DHK look a bit iffy to me

Parts - Traxxas parts are EVERYWHERE, and lash is their most popular model. Also, very cheap.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

So you use the RC, run it a couple times and decide you want something better.

You really think HP will issue you a refund?

Good luck with that.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Tech Adept

I used it for maybe 10-15 minutes total. I didn't even use the battery it came with. I figured I could clean any dirt off it and return it.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dynikus
I used it for maybe 10-15 minutes total. I didn't even use the battery it came with. I figured I could clean any dirt off it and return it.
If it were my call here I would not take it back. The reason being you made a choice to purchase it, there is no issue or defect with it at all, just buyers remorse. I would advise you to sell it as used but in good condition to recoup your funds for any new direction you want to take in the hobby.

Not being rude, but they have bills to pay and I doubt you would walk in and want to pay full price for some truck that was only used for 10 or 15 minutes and had all the dirt cleaned off of it.

Still sealed up and unused I would be fine with an exchange of some sort, but having even just broken the seal on the box the game has changed there.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lbenton
If it were my call here I would not take it back. The reason being you made a choice to purchase it, there is no issue or defect with it at all, just buyers remorse. I would advise you to sell it as used but in good condition to recoup your funds for any new direction you want to take in the hobby.

Not being rude, but they have bills to pay and I doubt you would walk in and want to pay full price for some truck that was only used for 10 or 15 minutes and had all the dirt cleaned off of it.

Still sealed up and unused I would be fine with an exchange of some sort, but having even just broken the seal on the box the game has changed there.
what he said

put your truck for sale
Old 06-04-2014, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Nice....
Old 06-04-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dynikus
Should I just stick with the Hunter, or return it
Return it under what pretext? The owner of the store would then have to find a buyer, for your USED truck, at a NEW truck price to make a profit. You can't return it, you will need to sell it on the used market. I'm amazed you even asked this question.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:33 PM
Tech Adept

So I walked in to hp, said I wanted to return it, they looked it over, and gave me a full refund. The only changes from when I bought it and when I returned it were 2 missing zipties that held the truck to the cardboard, and as much wear as 10 minutes of run time can cause. The box wasn't even sealed when I bought it. I think you guys are all grossly over-reacting, or took "played around with it for a little bit in my backyard" to mean something much more than it did. The esc and motor didn't even get hot. The guy that issued to return walked over to where I picked it up yesterday and set it right back on the showroom floor.

Last edited by Dynikus; 06-04-2014 at 04:44 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

If you don't want people to comment on the things you do, don't post them.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Did you at least tell the guy thanks for letting you borrow their truck?
Old 06-04-2014, 07:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Wow
Old 06-04-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Man, I didn't think what I did was such a heinous crime, but I guess I was wrong.
The main point of the thread was never whether or not I would be able to return the truck, it was basically asking if the slash was worth the drive and extra 40 bucks.
If you guys were to buy a real car, would you be bent out of shape because someone else had test driven it before you? or would you think that because you test drove it, it meant you would have to buy it and sell it for a loss if you didn't like it?
sheesh
Old 06-04-2014, 08:21 PM
Suspended

wow nice...

Last edited by lindalonger; 06-05-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you guys were to buy a real car, would you be bent out of shape because someone else had test driven it before you?
Not if was a used car to begin with. OTOH, if I was paying for a new car, I'd WANT a new car. Not something that someone test drove and decided he didn't like it.
Sheesh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.