Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
beginner of electric buggy help! >

beginner of electric buggy help!

beginner of electric buggy help!

Old 05-28-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? beginner of electric buggy help!

hi,
I would like to race with electric buggy, I have experience only with the nitro buggy. So My first problem is.
I want make conversation, but i Don't know witch one is better, the losi 8eight, or the mugen mbx6.
Or I buy a normal electric buggy? but i don't know which brand and model is the good.
I don't have money for new kit unfortunately, so if you have some tips or maybe you have model for sell, please tell me.
Thank you
Old 05-28-2014, 03:18 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 197 (100%+)
Questions?? Do you own a Nitro car now

What car do you own? Nitro as of now??

Originally Posted by matyko View Post
hi,
I would like to race with electric buggy, I have experience only with the nitro buggy. So My first problem is.
I want make conversation, but i Don't know witch one is better, the losi 8eight, or the mugen mbx6.
Or I buy a normal electric buggy? but i don't know which brand and model is the good.
I don't have money for new kit unfortunately, so if you have some tips or maybe you have model for sell, please tell me.
Thank you
Old 05-29-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Apprentice

I think you're asking whether to do a conversion on a nitro buggy, or buy an electric car up front?

If that's it, definitely buy electric, their weight balance is far superior. If your budget is tight, get an rtr.

Brands, well, Associated, Mugen, Losi, Kyosho. Others too, I personally own a Serpent.
Old 05-30-2014, 01:50 AM
Tech Rookie

hi,
thank you for the answers, i have hpi trophy, but i would like a totally new which good for the race.
At now I thinking the losi eight 3.0 but unfortunately this is used and I need make the conversation.
Or the X-ray xbe9e,
or maybe this
Duratrax 1/8 835E
or
RC8.2e RS Ready-To-Run

I really don't know..
Old 05-30-2014, 07:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This should be an awesome thread.... Subscribed.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Old 06-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Master

The hot bodies ve8 is a good solid buggy if you are on a budget and want a new buggy. Just make sure to purchase the aluminum front and rear skids for it. I would also look at a good condition used e buggy not a nitro though so u do not have to buy the conversion.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm telling you, it'll turn into a buggy popularity thread (based on whatever people are running right now).

So, I personally love my Serpent 811 BE 2.0.

However, I doubt anyone will argue with the sheer quality of the X-Ray; it's one of the best around, maybe the best outright, however it's price suits its quality - you'll be looking at a lot of cash for this - BUT, you don't need to upgrade a whole lot on this buggy.

Mugen Eco is a strong buggy, really good drivetrain, but the A-arms are known to break.
Like the X-Ray, doesn't really need much in the way of upgrades.

Losi 3.0 are similar to Mugen, but their plastics tend to wear a bit, and their drivetrain isn't quite as good quality. Still a very strong Buggy.

Serpent 811 has maybe the next best part quality after X-Ray (at least in my experience), although it's split battery design makes the weight rear-biased (a pain in the ass).

Durango have their 1/8 buggy, haven't had much experience, but it seems solid, uses the split battery design like the serpent, although isnt as popular and so parts are less available

The Associated RC8.2e is probably the most popular 1/8 buggy, but it's rtr version is a bit sub par imho. Servo needs to be thrown out asap. Kit is solid, fantastic part availability, I'd put the Losi just ahead of this.

I don't like Kyosho's buggy, I hate the shocks and handling in general, but it is a strong design and a fairly safe first Electric RTR.

Plenty of other buggies around. Personally, I think pick a well known one (anything that gets metioned here really), and buy whichever you like the look of. You're better off buying and learning, than listening to opinions. What works for one person may not work for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Phynix View Post
I'm telling you, it'll turn into a buggy popularity thread (based on whatever people are running right now).

So, I personally love my Serpent 811 BE 2.0.

However, I doubt anyone will argue with the sheer quality of the X-Ray; it's one of the best around, maybe the best outright, however it's price suits its quality - you'll be looking at a lot of cash for this - BUT, you don't need to upgrade a whole lot on this buggy.

Mugen Eco is a strong buggy, really good drivetrain, but the A-arms are known to break.
Like the X-Ray, doesn't really need much in the way of upgrades.

Losi 3.0 are similar to Mugen, but their plastics tend to wear a bit, and their drivetrain isn't quite as good quality. Still a very strong Buggy.

Serpent 811 has maybe the next best part quality after X-Ray (at least in my experience), although it's split battery design makes the weight rear-biased (a pain in the ass).

Durango have their 1/8 buggy, haven't had much experience, but it seems solid, uses the split battery design like the serpent, although isnt as popular and so parts are less available

The Associated RC8.2e is probably the most popular 1/8 buggy, but it's rtr version is a bit sub par imho. Servo needs to be thrown out asap. Kit is solid, fantastic part availability, I'd put the Losi just ahead of this.

I don't like Kyosho's buggy, I hate the shocks and handling in general, but it is a strong design and a fairly safe first Electric RTR.

Plenty of other buggies around. Personally, I think pick a well known one (anything that gets metioned here really), and buy whichever you like the look of. You're better off buying and learning, than listening to opinions. What works for one person may not work for you.
I have two E 3.0's and my buddy have two Mugen MBX7 Ecos's that we and our sons race and use a lot.

I don't see any plastic parts wear more quickly on the Losi than on the Mugen.

Which plastic parts do you refer to?

What parts in the drive train is not as solid as in the Mugen? I have diffs and spurs from my old 8ight 2.0 that have been used extensively but are still fresh and serves as backups in my 3.0.

The only wear I have had in the drivetrain is the bearings and the pins in the dogbones.

But that is also the same for my buddy on his Mugens.

So what parts in the drivetrain is not as solid as in a Mugen?

The Losi is designed with and drives with more slop than some other cars, and some mislead themselves to conclude that this is due to excessive wear and sub par quality parts.

In my Losi's the most slop develops in the outer and inner wheel bearings, but this is dependent on the quality of bearings you decide to buy. Even after excessive use the bearings a so tight in the hub that I need tools to get them out, no plastic have worn here so that the bearing play comes from bearings not seated properly in the hub.

I'm not saying the Losi is perfect, but to often read that a Losi wears quickly is just not true, and often people states in the same line (as here) that a Losi is very durable, but wears quickly with some sub par quality parts compared to Mugen etc.

Well, a buggy cannot be durable and have excessive wear and sub par quality parts at the same time, these things would lead to a buggy that constantly needed repairs.

Me and my son originally chose Losi, because we had an 8ight 2.0 that were like a tank and durability is key for beginners.

Last edited by Salkin; 06-02-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Alright, as I said, based on opinions and experience.

Losi I didn't like because of a) the slop you mentioned and b) platics
Whether or not it was designed to have slop i not relevant to me; I dont want slop, intended or not. In terms of platics, dont get me wrong, they arent THAT bad, but definitely not as good as other buggies. Ballcups and A-Arms being primary concern, they just wore out more than other buggies.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Alright, as I said, based on opinions and experience.

Losi I didn't like because of a) the slop you mentioned and b) platics
Whether or not it was designed to have slop i not relevant to me; I dont want slop, intended or not. In terms of platics, dont get me wrong, they arent THAT bad, but definitely not as good as other buggies. Ballcups and A-Arms being primary concern, they just wore out more than other buggies.
Are your experience with Losi based on the new E 3.0?
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

To the OP...I would suggest picking a buggy that your local track and hobby shop supports. Meaning if you are racing and break something the track will usually have the part you need. I'd also suggest buying a buggy that comes from the factory already set up for electric.

I run Losi's....four of them actually and My 8 year old LST2 is still running on the original diffs. Since I've converted it to electric, I plan on upgrading the gears to the Ti-Ni hear soon. But its pretty much been bullet proof. I also have a 8E 2.0 buggy, 8E 2.0 truggy, and just picked up a 8E 3.0 buggy a few weeks ago and all of them have been reliable. Only issue I've had was stripping two spur gears on my truggy a few weekends ago. Ordered a metal spur and it'll be good to go.

Going from what I've seen at the local track, every buggy is pretty good. My buddy runs a Serpent and hasn't had issues with it. I'm just not crazy about running saddle packs. Another buddy runs the Associated RTR and he seems to break something every time he gets on the track. He usually has servo issues though.

I'd pick yourself up a nice used roller or if you can find one with electronics do that too. You'll save more money buying it gently used.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:58 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well, I've obviously run into a pack of Losi fans; I said from the start this would be largely personal opinion. I told you my view, you are entitled to your own. I specifically said two different people can have completely different experiences of the same product. Maybe I had bad luck, maybe you had good luck. Pick of the draw.

And yes, mainly 2.0 (not anymore though, I sold it), and have built a 3.0 for a friend who I see daily.

Either way, I agree with the previous poster about whatever is run at your track; whatever you buy, you WILL break stuff, its part of the hobby. Better to be able to buy it at the track or at least the local hobby store than order online.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

Well, I've obviously run into a pack of Losi fans; I said from the start this would be largely personal opinion. I told you my view, you are entitled to your own. I specifically said two different people can have completely different experiences of the same product. Maybe I had bad luck, maybe you had good luck. Pick of the draw.

And yes, mainly 2.0 (not anymore though, I sold it), and have built a 3.0 for a friend who I see daily.

Either way, I agree with the previous poster about whatever is run at your track; whatever you buy, you WILL break stuff, its part of the hobby. Better to be able to buy it at the track or at least the local hobby store than order online.
I'm just speaking from the experience I have and that is with Losi's. That's all I've ever owned. Mainly due to the being one of the higher supported brands and a lot of guys run them. Just seems to be easier to get help with a set up when other people own what you have.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Don't forget about the eb48. You can get a used one for fairly cheap. Just check the for sales section on this site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service