Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Chassis flex in off-road 1/10 buggies.Important or not? >

Chassis flex in off-road 1/10 buggies.Important or not?

Chassis flex in off-road 1/10 buggies.Important or not?

Old 05-18-2014, 05:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Chassis flex in off-road 1/10 buggies.Important or not?

Hi,
With most off-road 1/10 buggies these days being released with aluminium lower decks - Should I assume that either chassis flex tuning in off-road buggies isn't that important or maybe it is just that they are not designed for low grip tracks.?

I know that in On-road - chassis flex tuning can make a huge difference, e.g - with Awesomatix - 4x different lower decks are available and 2x of these even have inserts on the 4x corners of the deck for flex tuning. [Decks are - 1x alloy, 2x standard carbon, 1x hard raceberry carbon].

I have so far found 1x 1/10 4x4 buggy that has an aftermarket 4mm carbon lower deck, Its $160 though, so with limited off-road experience - I wasn't sure that it would make much difference.

Maybe as long as you have your shocks and suspension geometry working well - it doesnt matter what the lump of metal sitting between the front and rear is doing.?

The other part of 4x4 off-road buggies which I am finding interesting is the multitude of different deck layout configurations, to me when I look at the Dex410v4 layout it looks really balanced front to back and narrow which really contrasts to most other platforms that have the saddle packs next to each other at the rear [zx5 fs2, b44.2, xb4 etc etc].
Even if I compare the dex410v4 compared to TRF503 there must be a massive difference in chassis roll [the tamiya with the saddle packs side side and the motor tranverse] but maybe this extra weight on the outside edge of the lower deck could help on a low grip track.? rolling and getting side bite.?
Does this make any real world difference?

I race on a low to medium grip indoor clay track, that is reasonable in size but without any large jumps.

Cheers.
Old 05-18-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

The XRay XB4 has tunable flex in its chassis. I find it works best on higher bite bumpy tracks to run it with max flex. On high bite smooth tracks running it with all screws in for the least amount of flex gives best results.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yes as more track try to bring the grip levels up and the surface smooth, car designs are headed towards having less flex. High grip well groomed tracks need more focus on suspension tuning, bit lower grip blown out tracks will need more chassis flex.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

You often see 2wd buggies in mm configuration missing the front chassis brace, often to give more flex. Kyosho has their lw flex deck for the rb6. Even in stock the car gives the option to adjust flex too.

You really don't "want" a car to roll at all. Rolling throws the suspension into all kinds of funny angles, and decreases consistency and traction. You don't want a car set up to stiff with no roll though as you will create a car that won't handle well there either. You need a car with a happy medium where it rolls enough to comply to terrain, but doesn't go and wallow around the track.

Personally I like a car with as much flex as possible. It gives me a car that is a little smoother and not as jerky, which I like.