Search
Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xyzracer
don't know for sure cause I don't have one yet but I heard if the cups are on upside down they will rub the wheel. couple others have reported rubbing as well so I would assume that's the problem.
I will double check, but I was sure to check them all as I was installing them.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
Found a slightly strange issue, was wondering if anybody else has the same. At full lock in ether direction the wheels are rubbing the ball cups. I am using JConcepts Mono wheels. I could just turn the steering EPA down a bit but am trying to avoid that because I like a lot of steering.
How much shim do you have for bumpsteer? I forgot to adjust bumpsteer shims on my B5-R and had this exact issue when running 3mm trail. But i switched that car to mid and corrected it. During the conversion is when i realized it. Still running those ballcups though, even though they are wore half way through. LoL.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Again, all kit settings, only change from the kit settings I did was shock oils. I am running 25 degree arm mount with 5 degrees inserts in the C-hub, I dont remember what the kit called for.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Finished today a ran a pack at sdrc in san diego. what a blast. super hooked up and so much fun to drive. If you are thinking on making the plunge, go for it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Question...I installed the 8.5mm aluminum rear hexes and noticed a lot of play compared to the stock plastic hexes. Are you guys adding shims to tighten this up? If so which size/part #?
Old 04-08-2015, 02:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC.Jon22
Question...I installed the 8.5mm aluminum rear hexes and noticed a lot of play compared to the stock plastic hexes. Are you guys adding shims to tighten this up? If so which size/part #?
Mine had no play what so ever. Make sure you pushed it on all the way. There was a click when I squeezed it on.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:33 AM
mes
Tech Elite

I bet the Avid clutch bell shim kit should get you sorted if the hex clamps on 5mm.
AV-SHIM-5KIT:
Old 04-08-2015, 05:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
Schumacher offers some foam inserts (U6541) that work better with their tires than any closed cell inserts out there. We are mostly running either yellow stagger ribs or blue microspikes in the front with the Schumacher inserts, and blue microspikes in the rear either with or without inserts. That's on astroturf and on carpet.
Thank you. I ended up taking a sheet of 1/8" closed cell foam I had laying around and cutting some strips the same width as my Proline inserts. I lined the inside of each tire with the foam then put the inserts in there.

After that I took some 1/4" X 1/2" stick on weather strip and put a strip into the hollow center section inside each insert. The tires feel pretty good now.

Since the tires fit so tightly on the wheels, I'm going to run some practice laps before I glue them. Hopefully that will help keep this from becoming an expensive lesson on what not to do when mounting tires for carpet.

-Chris
Old 04-08-2015, 08:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If there's play, you didn't push them all the way on.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
If there's play, you didn't push them all the way on.
Leave the set screw out, bolt on a wheel, this will make sure the hex is all the way in. pull the tire and replace the screw.

Oh, and my set had screws that were too short, which stripped out the first few threads. So, watch to make sure the screws are long enough before you use or have a warranty replacement wait for stock to get back in - like me.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Tech Addict

I figure this question could use another answer or five, so here is my contribution --

Make sure you push the hex beyond the point where the drive pin sits nicely in the hex -- it can go further than that so keep pushing until the hex reaches the bearing (you'll notice the drive pin will disappear into the hex entirely). Once it gets there, tighten down the clamp.

In a perfect world, the hex will ride on the inner bearing race and no binding would occur. However, I've had them bind up the bearings after running them together for awhile. I like to run a small axle shim in between the hex and the hub bearing just to make sure things stay away from each other -- especially after a hard crash or landing.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by HBRob
Leave the set screw out, bolt on a wheel, this will make sure the hex is all the way in. pull the tire and replace the screw.

Oh, and my set had screws that were too short, which stripped out the first few threads. So, watch to make sure the screws are long enough before you use or have a warranty replacement wait for stock to get back in - like me.
why didnt you call team associated tbey would have gave you new screws and the right ones if you had the part number
Old 04-08-2015, 11:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xyzracer
Its that good huh wildcat? Gonna make me get rid of the 4.2 and get one I see...haha. curios who came from a 4.2 to a t5m running 17.5 and what they think.
I raced mine last week for the first time against my friends T4. I let him drive mine and he bought a T5M that evening, it is so much better than the T4. We have about the same skills driving wise and I lapped him twice in both quals and the main running the same motor.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sanderson373
why didnt you call team associated tbey would have gave you new screws and the right ones if you had the part number
Did that, they didnt have them. Were backordered.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Reading this thread is killing me USPS has screwed up my shipment from Amain my T5 has been sitting lost since the 28th.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.