R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree37Likes

Old 03-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #766
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
There is not going to be an RM version of the truck. Weight percentage is very close when comparing a RM/MM truck.
So in theory, the MM truck should be good on all track conditions then, right?

Ugh.. I'm already running 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy.. Do I really want to start a 3rd?? Maybe not... Parts for 3 separate platforms.. Could get pricey. Guess that means I just need to get the B5 then... DAMN YOU VICIOUS CIRCLE!!!! /rant
Rabidtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #767
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 158 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabidtrout View Post
So in theory, the MM truck should be good on all track conditions then, right?

Ugh.. I'm already running 2wd buggy and 4wd buggy.. Do I really want to start a 3rd?? Maybe not... Parts for 3 separate platforms.. Could get pricey. Guess that means I just need to get the B5 then... DAMN YOU VICIOUS CIRCLE!!!! /rant
Yes. According to an interview by one of the B5m/T5m designers, Kody Numedahl, they have not been to a race yet that they said...'I really wish we had brought our rear motor car'. Mid Motor can be tuned to work in all conditions.

#MakeRCTechGreatAgain
Matt Trimmings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #768
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings View Post
Yes. According to an interview by one of the B5m/T5m designers, Kody Numedahl, they have not been to a race yet that they said...'I really wish we had brought our rear motor car'. Mid Motor can be tuned to work in all conditions.
It's pretty true, our local track here was pretty beat up, and my b5m was still really good.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:35 AM   #769
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to bdyche Send a message via AIM to bdyche Send a message via Yahoo to bdyche

I have run mid motor exclusively since 2011 and have yet to find a track it didn't work on. You have to be a bit more selective with tires and run a bit more rear toe-in than you do with a rear motor vehicle in loose track conditions, but it will work.
bdyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #770
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
It's pretty true, our local track here was pretty beat up, and my b5m was still really good.
Yeah.. That's kind of how our is. Some sections are BAD while other sections are real good. After they water it, traction for days. But where the parts are bad, they are pretty bad. Hell, i've had my b44.2 bounce itself over after trying to come out of the last turn into the long front straight with some power.

I just don't want to drop 300 bucks on a car to find that it just doesn't work on our track. Was told that a few people have tried MM that it just didn't work. But that may be a result of setup/driver and not so much the car.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 AM   #771
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Plan on running either a 10.5 or 13.5 motor. Would it make a difference running a 3 gear trans over the stock? I have the 3 gear in my b5m running 17.5 blinky.
Bracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM   #772
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracer11 View Post
Plan on running either a 10.5 or 13.5 motor. Would it make a difference running a 3 gear trans over the stock? I have the 3 gear in my b5m running 17.5 blinky.
If your track allows go three gear.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM   #773
mes
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Yeah.. That's kind of how our is. Some sections are BAD while other sections are real good. After they water it, traction for days. But where the parts are bad, they are pretty bad. Hell, i've had my b44.2 bounce itself over after trying to come out of the last turn into the long front straight with some power.

I just don't want to drop 300 bucks on a car to find that it just doesn't work on our track. Was told that a few people have tried MM that it just didn't work. But that may be a result of setup/driver and not so much the car.
When you are used to the point-and-shoot driving style that is required by many RM cars, you'll need some time to adjust your driving. Although MM does not favor accelerating hard out of slippy corners, you carry much more corner speed with a MM car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bracer11 View Post
4-gear transmissions generate more traction due to the direction of the motor rotation. If you are running on a loose track, stick with the kit gearbox. If you need to free up your steering or prevent your car/truck from doing wheelies, get the 3-gear transmission.
mes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:49 AM   #774
Tech Adept

Thanks Mes
Bracer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #775
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
This may be a dumb question as I haven't really read every page here.. Did a simple google search and it didn't return anything useful.

Are they going to make a RM version or is this supposed to be fine on all track conditions. From what I was told at my LHS, MM sucks on our track, so this truck won't work for me ( I think).. Assuming MM trucks drive similar to the MM buggies.

I have a T4 now that I have been slowly updating, sans the BB shocks and VTS slipper. My plan was to just get the T5 when it came out, but if they aren't going to release a RM version, I'll just get the shocks and call it a day.
For those folks still concerned or questioning MM vs RM (buggy or truck), I'd highly recommend you check out Ray Munday's thread regarding MM setups on loose tracks. Ray is a top notch multi-time National champion AE driver down in Australia. Over the past year since the B5m's release, he and his crew have figured out how to make the MM vehicles better than RM on any poor track conditions. You can also ask Ray nearly anything here and he'll respond. Very cool guy and a great asset.

Here is a post that Ray directly talks about MM being the best option now.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #776
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
For those folks still concerned or questioning MM vs RM (buggy or truck), I'd highly recommend you check out Ray Munday's thread regarding MM setups on loose tracks. Ray is a top notch multi-time National champion AE driver down in Australia. Over the past year since the B5m's release, he and his crew have figured out how to make the MM vehicles better than RM on any poor track conditions. You can also ask Ray nearly anything here and he'll respond. Very cool guy and a great asset.

Here is a post that Ray directly talks about MM being the best option now.
Awesome!! :thumbsup: Thanks for the info. I will def. give that a read!

I kind of always felt that it had more to do with the setup than track conditions. Well, that and driving style. I think that once more and more people start driving MM cars, better setups will come out.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #777
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For the few of you that already have the truck, who did you get it from? I pre ordered mine from tower and haven't seen any update on expected date of arrival.
JJG690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #778
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG690 View Post
For the few of you that already have the truck, who did you get it from? I pre ordered mine from tower and haven't seen any update on expected date of arrival.
The Washington dudes said they snaked theirs from a Canadian vendor (Like the B44.3 landed in a lot of other countries globally before we finally got ours in the US).

Others have been able to order the needed T5m parts (they landed at AE weeks ago and other retailers more recently) and convert B5m's into the T5m.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:21 PM   #779
Tech Adept

Bulldog or finisher body?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:47 PM   #780
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigor View Post
Planning to run a shorty in your T5m? Stock 17.5? Everyone says truck is better with weight of saddles / square.
I have both to try. My t5m will have a 13.5. With my b5m I went back and fourth and the shorty works best for me. That was with 17.5 or 13.5.