Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated T5M Discussion >

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Like Tree108Likes

Team Associated T5M Discussion

Old 08-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

I have no idea if I am in the right place or not, but I am getting tired of searching through pages and pages of threads. So here I am with a question, pardon my ignorance if I'm asking in the wrong thread.

I recently bought a T5M after running a friends at our local indoor clay track and falling in love with the chassis. I bought a lightly used roller from the buy/sell section of RCtech, and got it in the mail today. I installed a castle brushless system with a 5700kv motor, flysky receiver and a savox servo on it to test it out until my Tekin RSX and sensored motor come in later this week.

The car drives and handles fine, but makes a terrible noise under full throttle. It sounds/feels like it is slipping somewhere (it sounds alot like an old vacuum cleaner). I tightened the slipper clutch beyond where that could be what is slipping, and it still makes the racket and experiences slippage. I then locked up the spur/pinion with an extra pinion gear and slowly spun the tires manually. It is not slipping at the slipper clutch. I can not think of anything else it could be except the differential? I am extremely novice at RC mechanics and don't know how the insides of these diffs are setup, but have a basic knowledge of a full size vehicle diff.

Where do I go from here? is the differential adjustable? am I way off track thinking that is the problem? Do I need to rebuild it?

P.S. the chassis appears to be extremely new. no scratches or wear anywhere on it.
P.P.S. my friend who's T5 I first drove spoke with me today and said that his car is now experiencing the same problem.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

sounds like the dif is barking. might be time for a rebuild.
Old 08-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

too powerful of a motor combined with a diff that might be too loose. 10$ says, you've toasted the diff.
Old 08-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If a diff barks can you not just tighten it, why is it toast?
Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

because if it barked, that most likely means you've flat spotted the balls in the diff and it'll never work right after that.
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

when you rebuild it, i'd get schelle tungsten diff balls and a caged ceramic thrust bearing, along with new diff rings. there are a few good videos out there on how to rebuild and break in a ball diff. then you need to make sure you adjust your slipper so that it slips before the diff does.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:44 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC*PHREAK
because if it barked, that most likely means you've flat spotted the balls in the diff and it'll never work right after that.
Oh I see, is the gear diff worth considering if you drive on high bite surface?
Old 08-13-2015, 03:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Ahh that makes sense. I will research more difs and rebuild mine. I just wanted to make sure that was the problem. Thanks for the help guys
Old 08-13-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (92%+)

Guys I have a question, hope you guys could help me out. Ive been driving my T5M on the stock set up for a little while now and have decided to change it up a little. I decided to put Thielke's set up on it and it says he is using the 5mm cup offset on the shocks and the stock set up uses the 9mm. I installed the 5mm and now I cant get the truck up high enough to get the ride height he is using? hes using the blue fronts and white rears just like what comes stock. what am I missing? I see a lot of guys using the 5mm cup offset in there set up sheets why? im not sure what this does, I was hoping someone could explain it to me and maybe why I cant seem to get the ride height

thank you
Old 08-13-2015, 08:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BLKHAWK
Guys I have a question, hope you guys could help me out. Ive been driving my T5M on the stock set up for a little while now and have decided to change it up a little. I decided to put Thielke's set up on it and it says he is using the 5mm cup offset on the shocks and the stock set up uses the 9mm. I installed the 5mm and now I cant get the truck up high enough to get the ride height he is using? hes using the blue fronts and white rears just like what comes stock. what am I missing? I see a lot of guys using the 5mm cup offset in there set up sheets why? im not sure what this does, I was hoping someone could explain it to me and maybe why I cant seem to get the ride height

thank you
The only way I know that you could run the 5mm cups is if you're running truck springs. I think they are running the new AE truck springs that come with the SC5M. Otherwise you have to use the 9s for buggy springs.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dbowen
The only way I know that you could run the 5mm cups is if you're running truck springs. I think they are running the new AE truck springs that come with the SC5M. Otherwise you have to use the 9s for buggy springs.

Im running the stock truck springs, this is the set up

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...er_Thielke.pdf
Old 08-13-2015, 08:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 170 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BLKHAWK
Im running the stock truck springs, this is the set up

http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...er_Thielke.pdf
I believe he is actually using kyosho springs (which are longer) on that setup. 5mm vs 9mm isn't a tuning option, its just to be able to get the proper ride height. You will not notice a difference between the 2. Just run the 9's to get the ride height desired.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Kyo Springs

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings
I believe he is actually using kyosho springs (which are longer) on that setup. 5mm vs 9mm isn't a tuning option, its just to be able to get the proper ride height. You will not notice a difference between the 2. Just run the 9's to get the ride height desired.
It's the Kyo Springs. That's what I run, and have the smaller offset on my rig.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:37 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

deleted...wrong thread
Old 08-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Matt Trimmings

awesome matt, thank you for the info!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.