R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   anything faster than 1/8 e-buggy on a big track? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/813375-anything-faster-than-1-8-e-buggy-big-track.html)

Pulse_ 05-14-2014 03:07 AM

anything faster than 1/8 e-buggy on a big track?

just wondering...

could a 4wd SCT with a 1/8 system (motor/ controller) be faster than 1/8 e-buggy because of the power to weight ratio?

RC10Nick 05-14-2014 03:48 AM

Nope. SCTs just don't put the power down like an e-buggy can. Plus they're just not as nimble or stable nor do they jump as well as e-buggies.

Dave H 05-14-2014 03:52 AM

Aren't truggies frequently quicker?

egobrkr 05-14-2014 04:21 AM

I think a 4x4 sct with a sct system on 3s would be pretty close in times and speed.

Pulse_ 05-14-2014 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dave H (Post 13261491)
Aren't truggies frequently quicker?

depending on the track, they can be yes especially when there are big jumps and a lot of bumps

symmetricon 05-14-2014 05:14 AM

E truggy! Try one.

9turn 05-14-2014 05:33 AM

Xx4

Pulse_ 05-14-2014 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by symmetricon (Post 13261609)
E truggy! Try one.

truggies are super rare locally

can you actually feel anything from the track with a truggy? not bashing truggies, I just have no idea what it's like to drive one

egobrkr 05-14-2014 05:36 AM

I thought you had an etruggy? If not then you need one! They are big , dumb and over powered! That's why I love them

symmetricon 05-14-2014 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 13261654)
truggies are super rare locally

can you actually feel anything from the track with a truggy? not bashing truggies, I just have no idea what it's like to drive one

I used to feel the same way, I thought it was the short bus class for e buggy drivers. The fact is that they are fun and can be driven with the same skill and precision as a buggy. With the right setup you can drive them in ways you can't with any other type of rc.

Phynix 05-14-2014 05:57 AM

Ever heard the racing term 'slower is faster'????

Simply, speed isn't everything, and if that's your focus, you won't do well on the track.
Slowing down, taking the right line, not sliding around and crashing, that's what makes you faster in lap times.

Could you make an SCT go FASTER than 1/8 e-buggy? Yeah, with enough time, money and effort. But it won't help on a track, in fact it's hurt you with the lack of torque you'd end up with due to your gearing.

**EDIT: I'd also remind you, both e-Buggy and SCT actually are fairly similar in size, but SCTs have a huge body on top. Probably lighter, but not as much as you might think.

symmetricon 05-14-2014 06:02 AM

I am pretty sure the op isn't talking about top speed or straight line speed. More like what is the fastest type of rc car on a big track.

Pulse_ 05-14-2014 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by symmetricon (Post 13261705)
I am pretty sure the op isn't talking about top speed or straight line speed. More like what is the fastest type of rc car on a big track.

thanks for clearing that ;)

of course I was talking about lap times

what do you mean when you say "you can drive them in ways you can't with any other type of rc"?

@egobrkr: never owned a truggy because I thought they couldn't feel as precise as e-buggies because of the massive wheels etc..

symmetricon 05-14-2014 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pulse_ (Post 13261745)
thanks for clearing that ;)

of course I was talking about lap times

what do you mean when you say "you can drive them in ways you can't with any other type of rc"?

@egobrkr: never owned a truggy because I thought they couldn't feel as precise as e-buggies because of the massive wheels

When I drive my e buggy I drive smoothly, let the car do the work, let it rotate, drive it with smooth controlled precision.... I tried that approach with my e truggy and it works well. I then discovered how much more aggressively I can tune my truggy to be. You can drive with much more aggression while still having stability all the while being precise... When you get real comfortable with it you will find you drive some lines and or pull off some crazy techniques you wouldn't have thought possible, at least with an e buggy...

Devin 05-14-2014 06:32 AM

Top lap-time at our track last year was from a nitro Truggy. We have a wide track with oversized jumps and lots of banked sweepers. They seem to gain time in long corners and over big jumps sections, but especially small, sharp bumps like moguls.

I also think Truggies make people go crazy, it's by far the messiest class to marshall, truggies flying everywhere.