Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Video : Make Your Own R/C Body

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had this idea of improving by doing a cover above the sheet holder with heating elements to melt the sheet. Like this image, so a oven becomes unnecessary.

Old 05-11-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
in the video it was .040

I'm gonna add a few things i left out an accident in the notes under the video fellas...
Thanks!
Old 05-11-2014, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Proline, jconcepts and FTW hate you right now Jason lol. Great video and I won't be buying bodies for a long time now ��
Old 05-11-2014, 03:38 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Great video and great presentation. I like everything except endorsing reverse molding. Make you're own molds, great, but the designs are IP of the manufacture.
Old 05-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
I like everything except endorsing reverse molding. Make you're own molds, great, but the designs are IP of the manufacture.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
Great video and great presentation. I like everything except endorsing reverse molding. Make you're own molds, great, but the designs are IP of the manufacture.
I thought he covered that pretty well. He did say use the chassis shape and design you own with air drying clay………. The part about not making them for profit. PERSONAL USE ONLY NOT FOR RESALE
Old 05-11-2014, 10:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the great videos Jason, I really enjoyed watching this one. I have some CAD skills and a fresh bag of plaster. Maybe I'll make a 22-4 Torc body ;]
Old 05-11-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks guys. I'm glad you liked the video. This is a hobby after all. Why not make some cool stuff?

Once again, I'm all for using an existing design for inspiration but not for profit.

I've already heard guys talking about making an rb6 body that extends all the way to the rear shock tower on the mid motor car. If kyosho won't make one. Then I say take your best shot and have some fun doing it.

This hobby should first and foremost be fun. Without hobbyists that are passionate companies like JC/Proline and many others wouldn't exist.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:17 AM
Tech Adept

Something to consider for those of you that want to DIY vac forming and other things- you can pick up a used oven from a thrift store, appliance store, etc. If you have room somewhere outside it make for a useful 'tool' for vac forming, heat bending, dyeing parts, and other processes. Keeping it outside, maybe in a shed or under a carport makes for less chance of stinking up the house and making a mess.
Old 05-12-2014, 04:26 AM
Tech Regular

I made a body from PET and its too brittle. maybe its fine for a 2wd buggy, but for lager scales its not gonna do it.
polycarbonate (laxan) is the best thing to use but it needs to be de-gased or you'll have a body full of bobbles.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Good job Jason,

Like it. For sure could help in playing with things on bodies, wether it be shapes, thicknesses, or whatever you might want to do.

Wings could be done up in much the same way, which I'd think more racers go through more often than bodies.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Teufel Racing
Good job Jason,

Like it. For sure could help in playing with things on bodies, wether it be shapes, thicknesses, or whatever you might want to do.

Wings could be done up in much the same way, which I'd think more racers go through more often than bodies.
Funny you should mention that!
Old 05-12-2014, 07:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Snyder
Funny you should mention that!
Nice Jason,
A four pack for a few bucks in material and 20-30 minutes of time (minus mold curing time on the negative mold piece).

That's where I'd probably try to get creative. LOL.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Tech Regular

Excellent video Jason. Please update us on how well the PETG holds up. I've done some vacuum forming before in Lexan but living in a humid area, getting the moisture out is very tricky.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Hi,

The next revolution are the inks.
If an existing brand wants to push the system to the next level, this is an idea :

Today you know the system for thermoforming, but it's now possible to print directly on the lexan plates, and then the special inks can be thermoformed with the lexan, in the same operation.
It allows a brand with all the 3D models, to create a 2D models on which you can place the graphics you want.
There will be not any problem with the painting of the bodies, because the ink is "in" the lexan... graphics sustainability...

The method you actually know :

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

A first example of the "Direct to Substrate" :

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

And what it will be possible to do, very interesting for RC cars bodies :

+ YouTube Video

The only problem is the white ink, maybe it's available today with this technology ?
If not, there is maybe a trick to find, for the transparent windows...
I let you imagine a website where you can choose your body, your graphics... and the same day, your body is made and sent to you, finished, without any painting work to do.
(excuse me for my poor English)
Bye !

Last edited by KOULLIT; 02-16-2017 at 10:12 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.