Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Bodies

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Probably because people didn't like them. The front wing came out in 2004, the cars, tracks, track dirt and tires were different. Apples to oranges.....
Kinwald was running a losi sold front wing on his xxx at the 2000 Florida Winter Winter Champs... Just saying.
I ran one back at home after that. Amazing on high speed steering.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beau S
Kinwald was running a losi sold front wing on his xxx at the 2000 Florida Winter Winter Champs... Just saying.
I ran one back at home after that. Amazing on high speed steering.
I hear ya, I was referring to the jconcepts wing which was referenced.
Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

I hear ya, I was referring to the jconcepts wing which was referenced.
Gotcha.

I liked that wing on my B4, & could trim it like a rear wing for the amount of downforce I wanted. Integrating that into a body takes away that ability to tune.

I just noticed the bodies of the Yokomo Bmax2(I think that's that's the 2wd buggy) at EOS. If you look closely at their CF design, they have actually concave the front window(not ribbed it), and scooped the nose of the body from b/t the front tower to where the cab meets the nose. A different way to aggressively channel air w/o being square & boxy.. While the Xb4 & D413 stay with smooth lines & front/mid cab layouts... The 4wd Serpent body is wild looking too..
Old 05-07-2014, 10:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by freebird
cab forward and splitter…….? LOL ROTF
Give me a break P L E A S E
I'm glad I gave you a good laugh, but the funny thing is it's true. Take an RB6 for example, you could tune the amount of down force on the front tires by choosing either a Sweep body(most down force), Kyosho Blade body, then the Finnisher( least amount). It's all in the angle of the windshield. Just like trimming the wicker on a wing or adjusting the pitch of the splitter on a real race car.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I also noticed that at the latest EOS race, many of the top pros were actually running front wings on their cars. There are some great pictures of Neumann running front wings in both 2WD and 4WD buggy classes, as well as Matsukura running a front spoiler. There were others at the event as well, but the top pros were using front wings. Granted its carpet, which is extremely high traction, but I wouldn't say they are dead.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Reminds me of some drivers claiming they felt a huge difference between Mini-Z rear wing inclination.
I don't have information to support either side but I think weight bias is doing more difference than aerodynamic properties, at least it was what I felt.
Old 05-08-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Probably because people didn't like them. The front wing came out in 2004, the cars, tracks, track dirt and tires were different. Apples to oranges.....
2004? The Bk Bar tire was available long before that, in Pink Clay compound. I was running on an indoor track with pink compound slicks and the firmest foams we could find. There was more traction than I've seen anywhere since. Nothing about the tracks and surfaces has changed, there are just more tracks with good traction/prep.

I ran a front wing on my RC10 in 1988, BUD's RC made it (might've been JG).
Old 05-08-2014, 02:47 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Davidka
2004? The Bk Bar tire was available long before that, in Pink Clay compound. I was running on an indoor track with pink compound slicks and the firmest foams we could find. There was more traction than I've seen anywhere since. Nothing about the tracks and surfaces has changed, there are just more tracks with good traction/prep.

I ran a front wing on my RC10 in 1988, BUD's RC made it (might've been JG).
You referred to a Jconcepts front wing, Jconcepts started in 2003, so my date is in reference to the wing you brought up, but what a your point? Track, the cars and the speed they carry have changed, the tires have changed, the size of the jumps have changed.....

Last edited by symmetricon; 05-08-2014 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If you don't have data, you have an opinion.
Old 05-08-2014, 03:31 PM
SH
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

This thread is getting out of hand. We need to remember what we pay for these bodies, Jconcepts, Proline, Bittydesign, FTW, etc all have drivers who test test test, if it's positive with what it does on track they usually release it.
Old 05-08-2014, 05:16 PM
Tech Champion

A question for everyone who doesn't believe aerodynamics can influence and add downforce to a slightly over 3lb car, asking for data for proof. If some data were provided, would it be accepted? And if so how sophisticated of a test setup would be necessary to be deemed sufficient/useful? Would an actual wind tunnel be required (scale ones exist in my area, not sure if I can pull enough favors to get access though)? Or would a more home brew setup ever be considered adequate for a simple comparison?

Thoughts and suggestions if anyone is interested are welcome. If there is enough interest I might take on the challenge. If not I have little interest in banging me head against the wall.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:05 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dave H
A question for everyone who doesn't believe aerodynamics can influence and add downforce to a slightly over 3lb car, asking for data for proof. If some data were provided, would it be accepted? And if so how sophisticated of a test setup would be necessary to be deemed sufficient/useful? Would an actual wind tunnel be required (scale ones exist in my area, not sure if I can pull enough favors to get access though)? Or would a more home brew setup ever be considered adequate for a simple comparison?

Thoughts and suggestions if anyone is interested are welcome. If there is enough interest I might take on the challenge. If not I have little interest in banging me head against the wall.
one could easily put their car on 4 scales and blow a high powered fan on the car. The added down force could easily be measured.

but here is a question, does anyone have proof that cab forward bodies don't work?
Old 05-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Aerodynamic's are REAL!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba7rRfKIHxU

I just finished the mold on a fun body & am currently finishing a CF mold. I had already planned on testing it's affect verses 2 other CF bodies in a DIY open controlled wind comparison. We did a similar thing many years ago for Dirt Oval bodies & tuning downforce via front & left sides.
YouTube has tons of DIY builds.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Beau S
Aerodynamic's are REAL!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba7rRfKIHxU

I just finished the mold on a fun body & am currently finishing a CF mold. I had already planned on testing it's affect verses 2 other CF bodies in a DIY open controlled wind comparison. We did a similar thing many years ago for Dirt Oval bodies & tuning downforce via front & left sides.
YouTube has tons of DIY builds.
Test the bodies in a sink or under a faucet. Fluid dynamics will be the same as aero effects, but its easier to come by a solid stream of water than air. Its very easy to see how the water will flow over the bodies and show how the aerodynamics would actually work and channel air.

Im unsure if my university has a scale wind-tunnel on campus. I know other bigten schools do, but I haven't heard of one here at Madison. With our Formula SAE car we had to travel to a windtunnel to do aero testing outside of solidworks.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

You referred to a Jconcepts front wing, Jconcepts started in 2003, so my date is in reference to the wing you brought up, but what a your point? Track, the cars and the speed they carry have changed, the tires have changed, the size of the jumps have changed.....
I referenced the Jconcepts wing as a recent example.

None of that other stuff has changed in any meaningful way. The tire rubber and treads are the same and most of the 2wd buggies on the market copy the geometry from the as B4 (including the B5), released on 2002. Of course incremental improvements have been made but by and large, most everything is the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.