R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-13-2005, 06:58 AM   #46
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to TBone77 Send a message via Yahoo to TBone77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM-AE-4-EVER
Has anyone run theirs together with a Spektrum transceiver?! I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced any problems with this combo? A guy I know at the track got the Sphere and Neo-One about a week ago and at first everything was fine while setting it up, etc. Unfortunately, after running halfway through his first pack at the track... the throttle gave out?! No problems with steering but his 4WD kit never ran again that day no matter how often he tried resetting the ESC. I heard he now has had to send it back in to AE for servicing. In my opinion I don't think the Spektrum caused the problem and instead the ESC probably was defective. The guy has a few Super Sport Novak brushless motor systems so he isn't new at working on these things. Anyway... just curious to know if this is an isolated incident or if a few LRP systems have had to be returned?

Also, is the Reedy Neo-One really a 5.5 turn motor (in Brushless winding terms?!?). Novak also has a 5.5 GTB but those that own both say the GTB is apparently faster!?!

For the record, this EXACT same thing happened to me, and I have a Spektrum system. Combined with AE's less-than-stellar customer support, I'm getting a GTB system.
TBone77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 AM   #47
Tech Legend

When ever I call Ae....

I got a friendly Ae dude, get my answer`s , no problems or complaints with Ae from me...

check your hall effect wire harness , if a wire is broken you will have a problem like you are experiencing...
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 11:46 AM   #48
Tech Apprentice

Do you honestly want the rundown from what happened with AE? Trust me, I wouldn't have gone through everything I did with them over a busted little harness wire. My problems occured right out of the box, as did my buddy's. Two different systems, two identical problems. None of our other gear was even the same (he was running a JR synth radio).

The support from AE was not good, and that's putting it lightly. The last straw was when *I PAID* $30 to have it overnighted back to me once there was a resolution, and after waiting for 3 days and still not getting it, I called for a tracking number only to be told "oh... well it went out today UPS 2nd Day".

That was after much round-and-round beforehand, too, including broken promises from them, unreturned phonecalls, etc. I will not be purchasing another AE product that has a circuit board.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM   #49
Tech Legend

Well sorry bout the problem , but when ever I`v sent a broken lrp to Ae, I got return phone call bout the problem and then they sent me a new one right away....

I`v have`nt had to this with my Sphere & Neo yet, (Runs just find)

I would think it would be the same .....
Note: if your problem is the hall effect harness being broken,just order the Novak one ...

The Neo wire is not available just yet, and the Novak wire is the same....

Hope this helps you...
Old 10-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #50
Tech Apprentice

I actually ordered the GTB 6.5 this morning... should be here tomorrow .

I'm actually pretty bummed about my Sphere, but oh well .
Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 PM   #51
Tech Legend

So far my track has sold a few of those , no problems yet !

Still, we can say the same for the Neo as well....
Old 10-14-2005, 10:22 AM   #52
Tech Rookie

So what is the deal with the power cap?, i havent got an answer from AE or LRP. Can i use the novak mega power cap? I would like the cooling kit but the part number stated in manual is the part number for the sphere as far as I can tell. Can i get my own capacitor? It has to be like a 25volt low ESR cap right? But what farad?
michelob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #53
Tech Initiate

Capacitors are like batteries, only that you can charge and discharge them very quickly. The capacitor aids the battery when you accellerate and the voltage drops due to the high current drain on the battery by supplying some of the current, then when you are cruising, it charges up again.

The Farad number is the capacity of the capacitor, sort of like the milliamp rating on the batteries. The larger the number, the more charge the capacitor can store.

Thus the more Farads the capacitor has the better. At some point the extra benefit of more capacity v's the increased size of a bigger capacitor will make it impractical to go the the next size up. I use 2 4700uF capacitors wired in parallel on my Sphere. I have not done any tests if 1 capacitor would be just as good or not, and it is hard to really test without a dyno, but 2 of them fitted nicely into my B4 and it seems to work well.
JorgD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:03 PM   #54
Tech Apprentice

Default GTB vs. Sphere

Well, can anyone give their opinion on both brushless ESCs? I have a Sphere, but it has "mode" button issues. Sent it in for the 2nd time. Replaced ESC once, and then replaced buttons second time. Now mode button doesn't want to work good again. No, I'm not overgeared, or over batteried. Highest heat sink temp ever recorded is 141 degrees (I temp gun it frequently). It still runs great, I just can't get into the different modes to lock reverse out or go back and forth from "low grip" to "modified" profile. Every now and then I can get it to work. I guess I'll leave it alone and just run it until it goes kaput! Very expensive ESC for the buttons to mess up. If you haven't had any problems with yours, put a pack in your vehicle and leave your radio off, then turn the ESC on and tap the "mode" button and see if the LED changes easily. If it does check the setup button per instructions. If still no problems, then let me know. If you haven't done this procedure, then do not reply and tell me that you have not had any button problems. Because you have to check the buttons to find out. Like I said, mine runs fine (all three of them), it's just that I can't change profiles like I am supposed too.

Has anyone ran the GTB? How is it? Compare them, please. Thanks
NitroStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 08:51 PM   #55
Tech Apprentice

I'm now running the GTB w/ 6.5 and it's great. No problems at all.

The Sphere/NEO wasn't remotely ready for retail release, especially gauging by how widespread the problems have been.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:21 AM   #56
Tech Apprentice

Thanks, but could you give me a quick list of some of the problems that you have heard about?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #57
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone77
I actually ordered the GTB 6.5 this morning... should be here tomorrow .

I'm actually pretty bummed about my Sphere, but oh well .
Why are you bummed about the Sphere? What has happened? Are you're buttons messing up also?
Old 11-05-2005, 06:52 AM   #58
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStar
Thanks, but could you give me a quick list of some of the problems that you have heard about?
1. Overheating
2. Mode settings stuck
3. 5.5 BEC cannot be run with a Digital FET servo without the use of capacitors
4. Does not work properly with DSM Spektrum
5. Motor shaft coming out

Those are off the top of my head.
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 07:11 AM   #59
Tech Apprentice

Yea, I've sent mine in 3 times because of button failures. The teck guy acted so suprised that I was not covering up the 4 holes where the LEDs and buttons are. Funny, I have read the manual (where all the "for optimal operating tips") are found and I find nothing about covering up the holes in the case because of dust. And it's funny how all the gearing chart vehicles listed are "off road" cars except one. Now if this thing sucks in that much dust(because I only ran it 2 weeks each time) then why not include covers or at least mention it in the instructions that "tons of dust enter these holes, please cover with clear tape". I took apart my 3 Novak Cyclone ESCs, that are YEARS old and which I have NEVER covered the holes on top of them, and there was not enough dust in them to even blow out.

Oh well, I'll hush now.
Old 11-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #60
Tech Apprentice

Point blank, the Sphere sucks... especially when compared to the Novak systems.

I currently have both a Sphere and a GTX, and the GTX is a million times better. The ONLY disadvantage is that it weights about 33% more (including the cap) than the Sphere.