R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-02-2005, 08:03 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

to: wild cherry

can you elaborate on the regular mode of the sphere, as far as how it feels compared to a regular mod? what wind? what charicteristics? anything else??? it seems like no one that races on the regular is talking on any other forums about how it truely performs, just"its fast" thanks!!
thedoc329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:58 AM   #32
Tech Legend

Waz up Doc ?

I`m not sure what you mean by your term regular mode ?

There is...
*brushless mod mode
*brush mod mode
*sportsman brushless mode ( limiter 24,000 rpm)
*brushless low grip mode
*brush low grip mode
*auto-brake mode (Real kuel , will report soon)
*normal forward & brake
* forward & reverse mode

Yeah, thats a whole lot-a mode is`nt it ? LoL !

if this helps , the Neo motors are not lable 12 turn , 13d ect.

They lable um like Neo 1, Neo 2 ect. believe they go to 4

The Neo 1 claims similar performance to a 9 turn, but personally think it feels like real smooth 10 or a fast 11 wind brush motor design....

Its fast , real smooth, and has lots of torque....

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 09-03-2005 at 01:10 AM.
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 07:31 PM   #33
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Bob ...
However, it still could used more refinement...

Thus the reason they are going to release a stock brushless version of the Neo .
Wild (Geo)

Hey Geo,

Where did you hear about LRP making a stock version of the Neo?
Bob Nilsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:03 PM   #34
Tech Legend

From a couple folks

Scott Brown ( AE) being one of um....

Not sure when , just heard its in the works & plans ...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:05 AM   #35
Tech Adept

Has anyone run theirs together with a Spektrum transceiver?! I'm curious to know if anyone has experienced any problems with this combo? A guy I know at the track got the Sphere and Neo-One about a week ago and at first everything was fine while setting it up, etc. Unfortunately, after running halfway through his first pack at the track... the throttle gave out?! No problems with steering but his 4WD kit never ran again that day no matter how often he tried resetting the ESC. I heard he now has had to send it back in to AE for servicing. In my opinion I don't think the Spektrum caused the problem and instead the ESC probably was defective. The guy has a few Super Sport Novak brushless motor systems so he isn't new at working on these things. Anyway... just curious to know if this is an isolated incident or if a few LRP systems have had to be returned?

Also, is the Reedy Neo-One really a 5.5 turn motor (in Brushless winding terms?!?). Novak also has a 5.5 GTB but those that own both say the GTB is apparently faster!?!

Last edited by TEAM-AE-4-EVER; 09-26-2005 at 09:22 AM.
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 09:14 AM   #36
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

I have heard of that. Apparently the Spektrum has a low voltage failsafe built into the receiver and the LRP speed controls have always had a 5.5 volt BEC circut. Under heavy acceleration the bec voltage can drop slightly causing the Spektrum failsafe to cut off the throttle (this is a feature that protects nitro cars). This is the theory behind why this is happening anyway.
The Neo one motor is not a 5.5 turn, it is a 7.5 or 6.5, can't remember which.

Does the Sphere speed control use a large power capacitor like the GTB?
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:20 AM   #37
Tech Legend

If you read the instructions for your Neo, you will see they reconmend you to use the capacitor ....

Old 09-26-2005, 11:13 AM   #38
Tech Champion

Is it a big keg of a capacitor like the GTB uses? I don't have a LRP.
The GTB is smaller than the SS model but that Cap sure does make the case size of the speed control less impressive
Old 09-26-2005, 11:18 AM   #39
Tech Legend

Not sure which cap is smaller, but either should work find...
also

No problems with the size, Sphere fits in any of my ride`s just find..

Ae B-4 & Tc-3...

Bonus,

The Sphere is bigger cus it has twice as many fet`s as a normal speedo.. This gives it better thottle control & feel, along with higher efficiency (Better punch) compared to normal speedo`s...
Old 09-26-2005, 09:16 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

With regards to the SPEKTRUM working the the LRP Sphere/Neo-One, I posted this a while back on another thread after some e-mail correspondence with John Adams of Horizon Hobby's SPEKTRUM Department:

"The new programming greatly improves the servo issues however when using an ESC with a weak BEC some servos still need the capacitor. The LRP ESC is the worst when used with the new KO digital servos. (especially when running 4 cells) The capacitor fixes the issue however. The Airtronics servo hasn't been an issue. I haven't tried the LRP brushless yet but supposedly LRP is improving the BEC circuit on all new controllers.

We have several Spektrum customers using the LRP brushless system successfully. It's interesting that LRP doesn't think the BEC is an issue because when I talked with the guys at Associated (the LRP importers) they said they've been trying get LRP to change the BEC (up the current rate) for several years now. Anyway it's my understanding that the new brushless system has a higher capacity BEC that is working flawlessly with the Spektrum system."

So I guess from that answer, the SPEKTRUM system isn't the problem and it's most likely a defective Sphere ESC... which more people seem to be complaining about and having different problematic issues with! By the way, what is the actual BEC number that LRP has increased? 5.5 is what it's at now... do the QC2 and other ESCs made by LRP have less? I guess the best one on this Forum who can answer all this is "burito" (Reto Koenig - LRP's R&D Manager). Please feel free to post a reply Reto!

Yes, LRP does recommend on their manual (in very small print) that both a fan and a capacitor are sold in a "Cooling Set" for the LRP Sphere which could help it's performance and protect the ESC from various problems. I'm not sure if this set is available yet but they should be now that the Sphere/Neo-One are finally being sold! The need of a capacitor however was never mentioned on any of the Sphere product reviews in any of the magazines.... just makes you wonder?!

Last edited by STEALTH; 09-27-2005 at 01:51 AM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:55 PM   #41
Tech Champion

I've looked around and found that the Sphere does not use a power cap like the GTB (Novak). If you haven't seen this thing yet just wait. It's a huge capacitor that takes up it's own space in the chassis.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:29 AM   #42
Tech Regular

Sphere and 'power' cap - Though its not needed for the brushless motor to operate it is recomended that you run a cap on the sphere, you can use the smalest one that comes with the LRP Quantum Worlds kit just fine. it helps keep the temp of the speedo down from what I understand.

The cap is not needed when using a brushed motor.

Sphere and BEC - the sphere uses a different BEC to the QC2 so the spectrum problems should not be the same (not tested it personally though) for the record, I believe the QC3 has an updated BEC also.

I race on high grip tracks and feel the performance is similar to a 9 turn but with more torque (when geared correctly) in off-road

I have found that the Sphere/VECTOR(NEO) like to be geared 2-3 teeth lower than a 10 turn brushed motor
Old 09-28-2005, 05:58 AM   #43
Tech Adept

Hi, should I install the power cap on the shere or should I pu it on the spektrum receiver ?

I run my shere/neo, with my spektrum on my BJ4 and it seem to be no problem...

Martin
martbeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 06:29 AM   #44
Tech Adept

matbeda - Well, from what I have been reading on other threads... it seems a Cap needs to be hooked up to the receiver... though I'm also told that if you read your Sphere User's Guide carefully it says there that LRP sells it's own Caps to connected to the ESC. It's all quite confusing to say the least. I'm going with a Novak GTB.... so far at least no problems have been reported with it! By the way, since you haven't had any problems you probably aren't running a high powered servo either... which is what has been causing these "issues" with both the Sphere and Spektrum combination.
TEAM-AE-4-EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 10:00 AM   #45
Tech Legend

The only problem I`v been experiencing with my Neo.....
Is
Pulling wheelie`s down the staight & and lovin it !

Staight from the Sphere`s instruction manuel....

Power Capacitors:
We recommend the use of a power capacitor (as included in Lrp`s brushless cooling set #82500) when using the Sphere speed-control.
Power capacitor`s improve punch and offer additional protection for the speed control.
Simply connect the power capacitors at BAT +(red) and BAT - (black) on the Sphere`s soldering tabs.

Hope this helps....