R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #1
RPC
Tech Adept

Default sb pro

I just picked up an sb pro for dirt cheap with lots of upgrades and a bunch of spare parts, but what i am wondering is if anyone knows anywhere on the web i can get parts from?, ive been looking for the academy website but cant find it.

Thanks, Ryan
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 06:31 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Ryan- You will have to get them from MRC directly, the web site is www.modelrectifier.com. click on resources, then scroll down to R/C Cars, Trucks, Boats. Then look for the SB stuff. The order phone number is listed on the "Parts Price List for the SB Sport Buggy". You can also get them from Ultimate hobbies (www.ultimatehobbies.com), but you will have to call Ultimate Hobbies directly as they do not have them listed on their web site. I usually order them directly from MRC and have been very satisified with the quickness of the shipping. I really like my SB Pro and have been happy with it's performance. You can also find out a lot of info on the SB here, http://www.rc10b4.com/forum/showthre...hlight=Academy. They have a lot of useful info. Have fun with it. MRC is located in NJ so you should get parts really fast if you order from MRC directly.
Team Associated
Doug T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2005, 07:38 PM   #3
RPC
Tech Adept

Thanks man, so far i am very happy with this buggy, my main classes are truck and buggy (electric) but its nice to have a 4 wheel for trophy races and what not, so i figured for the amount ill actually use the 4 wheel id rather not spend $450 on a bj4. i paid $100 bucks for this buggy with about $80 in spares already. and about 12 sets of brand new rims in the packege.
RPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 12:30 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey RPC, you and I are in the same boat. Just got mine and it looks awesome. If you need to call MRC ask for Tim; Great guy, very helpful. He also has some posts over on other sights. According to him the basic driveline is the same so the downloads from the web will be helpful. Really looking forward to running this car. I'll be running it with a 19 turn at one track and a 10x2 at a bigger track in the area. Got the mod motor for free with another deal so I came out pretty well!!
Racing For Fun!!!
Past TcORC VP
DFroyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #5
Tech Regular

just got mine too. I'm very lost with all the suspension parts. Is everyone just running AE shock parts or something? Theres like 3 sets of pistons just from MRC.
What is everyones running for "standard" setups? like 2's and 30 wt. AE green springs all around? I really can't find too much, guess I'll just start trying stuff.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanGriffin
just got mine too. I'm very lost with all the suspension parts. Is everyone just running AE shock parts or something? Theres like 3 sets of pistons just from MRC.
What is everyones running for "standard" setups? like 2's and 30 wt. AE green springs all around? I really can't find too much, guess I'll just start trying stuff.

There isn't any tried and true set-ups listed (that I know of anyway) and that includes the MRC site. Mine has threaded Losi shocks on all corners. I still have springs from my XXXT so I'm set there but I may try a set of AE shocks to see if they work better due to length, spring weight, etc. We're all at the same point with this let's keep posting and eventually we'll hit the right combination
Racing For Fun!!!
Past TcORC VP
Old 08-15-2005, 10:47 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Yea, lets keep this up here for ideas and setups. I'm seriously trying to figure out the pistons..I understand the 1-4 and the 1.5-4.5..easy enough, but the 1/2 I can't figure out. Which one is bigger? theres slots and a hole on the 1 and bigger slots, but no hole on the 2.
I think im just going to stick to AE stuff, what I know..or losi pistons
Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Hey gang, does anyone know of an updated or what spur gear will work in place or the stock gear? I'd like to use a pinion smaller than an 18 but the motor runs into the driveshaft I'm planning on using a 10x2 on a big track and a 19 on a smaller/tighter track and need the pinion adjustability.
Racing For Fun!!!
Past TcORC VP
Old 08-20-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
Tech Regular

I was going to take a 78 b4 spur gear and take out the center hole to the appropriate size, and then just use ae pads. But other than that 70 is as large as it gets. what is everyone gearing at anyways? 7-8 over?
Old 08-20-2005, 10:23 PM   #10
Tech Master

Academy/MRC now makes a 72T spur gear, part # st-t102 (but I believe it is for the non-slipper unit). This should help out somewhat. The best bet would be to get an aftermarket motor mount. You can get one from Acratech (www.acratechracing.com) or call them directly at 909-394-1802 (I don't think they have them posted on their web site yet). They have it for $25.00 shipped. I can run a 16 tooth pinion on the 70 spur gear. Here is a pic of the prototype, and the regular ones come in blue. I am really happy with the mount.
Attached Thumbnails
sb pro-sb-motor-mount.jpg  
Team Associated
Old 08-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
Tech Master

You can also try this stock mount mod and this will help some. You will grind down the inside portion of the mount and mount the motor with the motor screws as shown, but I still think the aftermarket mount is better
Attached Thumbnails
sb pro-sb-motor-mount-mod.jpg   sb pro-sb-motor-mount-motor-screw-position.jpg  
Team Associated
Old 08-20-2005, 11:57 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

DougT thanks for the heads up!! Looking over my buggy it's the 1st version Pro with the stock mount. I'm going to look into a different mount and a bigger gear.

Mr. Griffin, I may explore that idea also! Please post back on how it works for you.
Racing For Fun!!!
Past TcORC VP
Old 08-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #13
Tech Regular

I got the 78 to fit. It will take a few runs on a track to see if it was worth it, but I think it will work. You have to mill out the middle of the gear to let the bearing fit, of course. Then you have to take a little off the bottom and top plates because the gear is so much bigger. Also, if you are using the rear battery hold down cup thing, you have to take some off that too. Its really not difficult to do, if you have ever done any serious dremeling I think you can do it. I'm not an engineer or a machiniest or anything and it turned out pretty good I think. Just take your time and take a little off at a time. Second, I'm pretty sure both fiberglass and carbon fiber can do some damage to your lungs and esophogus if too much is inhaled, I'm not saying you have to wear a mask, just be a wear and take your time to be careful. I'm running tuesday at a little track and we'll see how this holds up.

also, what is everyone running for final gear ratios?