Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV) >

Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV)

Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV)

Old 04-06-2014, 11:32 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Castle Creations "Sidewinder 8th" 1/8 Scale Brushless Car Package (2200kV)

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...Package-2200kV

What are your thoughts and experiences with this for 1/8 buggy? For $186 it seams like a good bang for buck. Is a Tekin RX8 GEN2/Redline T8 GEN2 combo really that much better? A $140 better? I noticed the sidewinder motor is smaller than the more expensive Castle "Mamba" 2200kv too.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm looking for reviews and experience on this as well. Have a new Durango truggy on the way and i would love to steal the MMM from another vehicle for the truggy and run the new 8th system in the on road car.

Haven't heard much of anything as far as reviews though on the 8th system.
Someone mentioned the mount screws were smaller than standard 1/8 motors but that was it.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chuckb View Post

What are your thoughts and experiences with this for 1/8 buggy? For $186 it seams like a good bang for buck. Is a Tekin RX8 GEN2/Redline T8 GEN2 combo really that much better? A $140 better? I noticed the sidewinder motor is smaller than the more expensive Castle "Mamba" 2200kv too.
Are you looking to use this in a GT8 or Buggy application?
I have the MM2 2200KV in my mbx6 and my SC8, I have always been partial to Castle, they're easier to program, IMO, than Tekin. You can adjust most of the functions with your radio.
But, like with everything else, you'll get a variety of opinions.
I can tell you from personal experience, Castle customer service is so much better. They got back to me next day, and replaced a smokes ESC, no problem.
I couldn't even get on the Tekin website for anything.
One of the Tekin fans told me they were probably racing. OK?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Monteman View Post
I'm looking for reviews and experience on this as well. Have a new Durango truggy on the way and i would love to steal the MMM from another vehicle for the truggy and run the new 8th system in the on road car.

Haven't heard much of anything as far as reviews though on the 8th system.
Someone mentioned the mount screws were smaller than standard 1/8 motors but that was it.
Hey, Monteman, yea, the mounting screws are smaller, but I have had 0 issues with them, use the foam tape to stabilize the motor.
I drive hard, no problem.
Hear from JayVee?
Old 04-06-2014, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Where do you run the foam tape? On the face of the can against he mount?
Old 04-06-2014, 01:13 PM
dtr
Tech Master

I noticed the sidewinder motor is smaller than the more expensive Castle "Mamba" 2200kv too.
Besides the lack of cooling fins on the can the motors are supposed to be very similar. Right from the horses mouth: 1, 2
Old 04-06-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

FYI: The Sidewinder 8th does not come with a switch.

You plug in the battery, it is on. Unplug battery to turn off.

Plug in battery with radio throttle held on full to calibrate.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Monteman View Post
Where do you run the foam tape? On the face of the can against he mount?
On the chassis, it's a 1 sided foam tape, you can use 2 face tape and put talc, or anything that takes the tack out of the d/f tape that is most commonly available. It's about 1/16 +/- what you use as servo tape.
Double it up if necessary to change thickness. But' you don't want to end up too thick. Just enough to support the motor, without messing with the mounting bolt alignment.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

So my buggy (Ofna X3e) motor mount has 3mm screws. they won't fit a sidewinder?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Tech Regular

I used to run Castle / Monster and 2200 then I tried Tekin, I will never look back. If you only bash then Castie is fine if you race the sensored stuff runs so much better. Doesn't have to be Tekin, look at Hobbywing also. I laughed at that until I tried the Hobbywing SCT combo in my Tekno SCT410 and it actually ran cooler and better to me than the Tekin 4pole setup. In 1/8 I have only run Tekin since going to it and there is a reason you see them winning all the big events and probably on the podium locally a huge amount more then castle products. And as far as warranty the guy that said he couldn't get on website probably can't work a computer, they have the best costumer service, ask around some more, if they are at a race with you they will fix anything or replace right there and if not you go on website and get a RA number and send in, that's it and they will take care of it. And no I'm not sponsored.

Last edited by USMC STONE 1; 04-06-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Tech Master

No, I'm not a "tech genius", but for some reason I couldn't get on. I'm sure it's as you said, and I don't have anything against Tekin, mine worked well, while it was working.
I guess I just like Castle better. To each their own.

I'm not sponsored either.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

So my buggy (Ofna X3e) motor mount has 3mm screws. they won't fit a sidewinder?
? anyone know the size of screws? I'm guessing maybe they're 2.5mm? What's the prob? they break/strip?
Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

? anyone know the size of screws? I'm guessing maybe they're 2.5mm? What's the prob? they break/strip?
anyone? I'm thinking of ordering this.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

anyone? I'm thinking of ordering this.
I think they are 2.5mm, mine came with screws, 1 countersunk and one button head, the mbx mount allows for 1 countersunk which naturally centers the 1st mounting screw the button head locks the mount, and should be done last.
As I said before, I run the Castle 2200 in my SC8e and my mbx6e (a little too much motor for this one, will probably go with 1900 instead.) I run them both hard, and have had 0 issues with mounting screws.
Both my cars came with cushioning tape mounted to the chassis.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

is there a castle rep on this website?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.