Community
Wiki Posts
Search

you get smarter everyday...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default you get smarter everyday...

well, i finally figured out why my evader bx doesnt go anywhere anymore... the middle gear inside the gearbox (or tranny, whatever you call it) had about 8 broken teeth. it is stripped to bare plastic.
i was thinking, should i buy the metal one that goes to an evader BX nitro, or just buy 5 or 6 plastic replacements (evader bx standard like mine)
i measured my gear, and it matches the size exactly with the metal (aluminum) one, but it is 16USD, the plastic ones are 1.90USD. i know its better to buy the stronger part that will last longer, but what are your thoughts.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

For that price I'd buy a few of the plastic ones. Make sure the tranny is adjusted properly and you should be good to go. Keep your slipper loosened a little bit and that may help you out a bit. And don't land jumps with the throttle on, apply the throttle as soon as you land.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:20 PM
Tech Addict

that would be the idler,and honestly i would just stick with plastic,idlers dont go out often. i have never had one go outin any of my cars(although i dont drive a duratrax) but we sell a ton of evaders and really not many idler gears
Old 08-11-2005, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

i'm going to end up buying the metal one... but before i have the money, i'm attempting to, with some stuff that i have laying around the house, make a new gear.
i have plaster, aluminum, and some really strong plastic stuff that i have used to make a few parts on my evader already.
i'm thinking... make a mold of the broken gear, and before it dries, pull it out and move it a bit and re-insert it, so that all of the teeth will be there. then pour the melted aluminum into the dried mold and let cool and harden.
OR
cut this plastic that i have and make the gear using a dremel (i love dremels... not one thing you cant use them for... in modefying that is):P
Old 08-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by L337DRI\/3R
well, i finally figured out why my evader bx doesnt go anywhere anymore... the middle gear inside the gearbox (or tranny, whatever you call it) had about 8 broken teeth. it is stripped to bare plastic.
i was thinking, should i buy the metal one that goes to an evader BX nitro, or just buy 5 or 6 plastic replacements (evader bx standard like mine)
i measured my gear, and it matches the size exactly with the metal (aluminum) one, but it is 16USD, the plastic ones are 1.90USD. i know its better to buy the stronger part that will last longer, but what are your thoughts.

I jont want to be harsh, but dont be so cheap. You get what you pay for. Puting in the plastic ones 3,4, or 5 times, or 1 time for the metal one. Thats a no brainer to me.

You asked............................................. ............................................
Old 08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Rookie

i figured someone would say that, and if you read my last post i said i would. i do feel that its better to buy that instead of a bunch of replacement pplastic ones.

thanks for your imput tho
Old 08-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Actually, I have gone through about 3 idlers in my Bandit. If I could find an aluminum, I would get it, the extra rotating mass is well worth the reliability factor. I put A LOT of wear and tear on my buggy, and the idlers really show it. They make delrin ones, but none of my local hobby shops have them, and I don't really feel like ordering them.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Rookie

delrin is just a self lubing plastic (it has a material in it that acts as a lube, even tho there is NO lube there) and its weaker than the plastic in there already.
heres an aluminum idler (evader series) for ya: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0&I=LXFZP0&P=K 16 dollars is a tad bit expensive in my opinion, but at least it wont break as easily.
and if that one wont fit your bandit (measuring all angles, of course) heres a list of campanies and their parts: http://www2.towerhobbies.com/listings/rcpsmfgs.html
Old 08-12-2005, 04:49 PM
Tech Master

No that won't fir my Bandit, but thank you for the information. I will probably replace the idler with delrin gears anyway, just to see what it does. If there is a performance difference, I'll keep it, if not, I can always switch back.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by L337DRI\/3R
Your slipper clutch would have been too tight.

What motor were you using at the time?

Sean
Old 08-12-2005, 10:16 PM
Tech Rookie

slipper clutch too tight? well at least now i know how to try to prevent this from happening again *turns to car and loosens slipper 1/4 turn*

i had the 12x2 motor in it, which makes perfect sence of why it stripped like it did. the slipper was too tight, putting more pressure on the idler gear than should have been there, and snap, there go the teeth, right?
Old 08-13-2005, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Xactly!!!!