Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newb with stampede and issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Newb with stampede and issues

Hey everyone new to the rc world and recently had some upgrades done to a new stampede and am looking for some guidance/advice. After breaking an a arm decided to go to a hobby shop and get some upgrades. Have a stampede 4x4 vxl on a 3s.

Upgrades

Rpm a arm
Rpm front bumper
Mip heavy duty cvds
Pro line trenches on desperados
Body mount spacers
Pro line power stroke shocks 37.5 oil

After having all this done I went to run my pede in my yard immediately I noticed some reduced power and assumed heavier axles were the cause after about 3 minutes of driving any slight resistance it would stop and the gears would spin and no motion on the wheels. Some smoke was coming from the gear box immediately powered off.

I checked the slipper and it doesn't seem loose again this is my first rc car and I have no clue what I am doing so mostly rely on the hobby shop for help until I learn more. Great guy but just wanted to see if anyone else would have some input as to what the problem might be. I know there are a lot of upgrade threads but given what upgrades I have currently I am wondering what else I should do currently. Also thinking about upgrading motor/esc to the castle mamba monster thoughts?

Any input I will greatly appreciate thank you guys very much!
Old 03-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Did you change the esc for 3s? Otherwise, it was probably the motor if the slipper looks fine. Check it.

If the car on 3s isnt enough power, change to a different car. The traxxas 1/10 vehicles are not really durable enough for ⅛ power.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Tech Rookie

@the panda

No I have not changed the esc for a 3s I was under the impression that it wasn't needed from the guys where I bought the car! Does traxxas make one or is there one you recommend it's plenty of power just heard mamba was more durable. When I took the cover off there was quite a bit of black burnt powder residue. Probably will stay with what I have as far as motor setup. Do you think I need to upgrade any other parts for durability? Thank you
Old 03-20-2014, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Sounds like you may have smoked the motor. When you move between 2s and 3s, you need to change gearing. Out of the box the pinion is set up for 2s power, you need to swap to a different gear for 3s.

The vxl is actually a pretty good system and can handle 3s. Biggest thing is watch your temps and gear correctly.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mkiiina
Sounds like you may have smoked the motor. When you move between 2s and 3s, you need to change gearing. Out of the box the pinion is set up for 2s power, you need to swap to a different gear for 3s.

The vxl is actually a pretty good system and can handle 3s. Biggest thing is watch your temps and gear correctly.

Is there an esc or gear you recommend I run a lot in the grass and some pavement? I will just replace with a traxxas motor!
Old 03-20-2014, 03:47 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Keep the same esc, its actually pretty decent.

Check this link out -> http://traxxas.com/products/models/e...stampede4x4vxl

Says you should be 11/54. I'm betting you have the 17t pinion in there (which you can run) but will add alot of heat and should be used for speed runs.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

No idea on the gearing, but if you didn't change that from the 2 cell gearing...that will cook a motor real quick. Maybe someone with your truck will comment or find a gearing recommendation chart from traxxas.

Running in grass will also cook a motor quickly unless its cut really short. Like golf course fairway short.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

2S gearing on 3S and larger, heavier wheels like the Deperado/trencher combo? Yeah, you toasted something, alright. ESC would usually cut the power once overheated. There is no temp sensor in the motor, so you don't know until it's too late.
Old 03-20-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the vxl esc is actually not so great, motor is fine. my Esc went out in a few months from normal use. the sidewinder sct combo is pretty good. get the 3800kv and sidewinder combo.

Last edited by ThePanda; 09-03-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I run your set up , to the t . It's fine , check every set screw on those Mip's where the connect to the diff out drives. Check your spur gear , see if it's jacked up, check the center drive shaft ends , and do this . Pick the back of the truck up off the ground , and hold a rear tire in each hand and roll the truck forward on the fronts. It shouldn't roll! If it does , that's your problem. It will also destroy wheel hexs, pins, and axle hexs in a heart beat , especially the left front . Tighten the wheel nuts every pack . I run 3s only, on stock gearing and these are the only problems I have had. Monster is overkill to the 10th power and you have to move everything around to make it fit. If you want to change , look at the hobby wing sc8 combo that's water proof .
Old 03-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by wittyname
I run your set up , to the t . It's fine , check every set screw on those Mip's where the connect to the diff out drives. Check your spur gear , see if it's jacked up, check the center drive shaft ends , and do this . Pick the back of the truck up off the ground , and hold a rear tire in each hand and roll the truck forward on the fronts. It shouldn't roll! If it does , that's your problem. It will also destroy wheel hexs, pins, and axle hexs in a heart beat , especially the left front . Tighten the wheel nuts every pack . I run 3s only, on stock gearing and these are the only problems I have had. Monster is overkill to the 10th power and you have to move everything around to make it fit. If you want to change , look at the hobby wing sc8 combo that's water proof .

Thanks for the advice I will check all that as soon as I get home. I am thinking about getting the sidewinder 3 and 4600kv setup.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

It ended up being the clutch because the slipper was too loose. So after getting it fixed I came home and was driving down the road and now my back rear mip xduty axle fell apart!
Old 03-24-2014, 08:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dc87
It ended up being the clutch because the slipper was too loose. So after getting it fixed I came home and was driving down the road and now my back rear mip xduty axle fell apart!
Every screw on the MIP's absolutly has to have loctite. I used the red . When you do the loctite , do not run the truck until the loctite has a day to cure.

A sv3 and 4600 wil be doo doo in this truck.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Every screw on the MIP's absolutly has to have loctite. I used the red . When you do the loctite , do not run the truck until the loctite has a day to cure.

A sv3 and 4600 wil be doo doo in this truck.
Ok I had a shop do it so who knows. Why will this combo be doo doo?
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Rookie

I talked to castle and that's what they recommended

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.