Search

Newb with stampede and issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dc87
I talked to castle and that's what they recommended

I bet if you ask them again , and say stampede 4x4 , they will tell you something different. For a 2wd , maybe that 4600 system will work , but in a 4x4 , no way . For a slash 4x4 they recomend a 3800 kv system or lower with the sv3. It will also be 2s only , no more 3s with that system. A stampede spinning those heavy tires and steel axles will be more work than a sv3 and 4600 will be able to handle , it will stay hot.

http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...5-0130-01L.pdf

from towers spec sheet.... Recommended for all 1/10 scale buggy and truggy applications that
weigh less than 5lbs (2.25kg)

My race trucks covered with carbon fiber and lightweight parts weigh 7 pounds , my pede is easily heavier than that.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Damn man thanks for the information I already ordered that combo from a shop I will see if I can change it out. I gave the guy every mod and told him. 4x4. What do you recommend?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Mamba max pro sct?
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Mamba max pro sct?
that and the 3800 1410 motor or the 1415 motor.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Lol, I just picked up a 3800 for my 4wd slash with 2.8 Talons. It's a beast. But you have to watch you gearing. Grass is a killer on cars, harrddd on the bl system
What's the rule?
Hot motor-cool esc is over geared/ faster geared for speed runs
Cool motor-hot esc is undergeared/ slower geared for pulling runs
Maximum idea temp for the motor is around 180 degrees, preferably cooler, too hot will will demagnetise the magnets, loss of power. And on Velinions will likely debond the armature glue after time after time of this. The magnets (rotor) will spin free on the shaft.

When you get you're new motor throw one of these on, just to buy some insurance on the heat aspect. About the only thing I have found they make that are decent lol. There are different colors.
iNTEGY Machined Clip-On Heatsink for 540/550 Size Motor w/ 36mm O.D.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/iNTEGY-Machi...item1e7c918bbd

Last edited by spookie; 03-24-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...-combo-for-sct. Choice 1 for me would be the 3400kv

Then max pro , 1415 and 3s only
Old 03-24-2014, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Hot motor / cold esc = you can increase pinion size

Hot esc / cool motor = you reduce pinion size.

But it's not 100% . It's all a ballpark

I aim for 10 minutes at 170 or less. In the summer I may have to back off a tooth or two when it's really hot .
Old 03-24-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all the help guys I was looking at the mamba max pro sct with the Neu-Castle 1415 2400 kv motor. Thoughts? Also any gearing help would be great! Thanks for all the input and help just put up a new thread tried some flex seal spray on the body versus shoo goo and came out awesome!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wittyname

I aim for 10 minutes at 170 or less. In the summer I may have to back off a tooth or two when it's really hot .
I had to go look to see if I was wrong lol. You described it better lol.

Although not always true, a rule of thumb is:
Hot motor, cool controller (esc), cool batteries = undergeared
Cool motor, hot controller (esc), hot batteries = overgeared
Warm motor, warm controller (esc), warm batteries = happy components

Hot, warm, and cool vary as well, so here's another general rule:
Hot for a motor = generally over 160F (71C)
Hot for a controller = generally over 150F (66C)(or "thermal" range for the controller)
Hot for batteries = generally over 150F (66C) for nimh, 130F (54C) for lipo
Warm for a motor = generally 100F (38C) through 150F (66C)
Warm for a controller = generally 100F (38C) through 130F (54C)
Warm for batteries = generally 100F (38C) through 130F (54C) for nimh, ambient temp through 120F (49C) for lipo
Cool for all components = generally ambient temp and up to 10 degrees F (5.6C) more

The reasons the above are not always true are numerous, but may include:
Sticky drivetrain - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
Poor quality batteries - batteries will heat up regardless of gearing.
Wrong motor for the application - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
Wrong controller for the application - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=299235
Old 03-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the help guys I was looking at the mamba max pro sct with the Neu-Castle 1415 2400 kv motor. Thoughts? Also any gearing help would be great! Thanks for all the input and help just put up a new thread tried some flex seal spray on the body versus shoo goo and came out awesome!
Lol it's going to be fast. Very lol. I tend to try to build some headroom in like you're choice. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:50 PM
Tech Champion

this sounds backwards.

hot motor and cool esc you want to reduce pinion gear tooth count. if the motor was hot, why would you want to increase it!
Old 03-24-2014, 06:55 PM
Tech Master

Hot motor-cool esc is over geared/ faster geared for speed runs, need smaller pinion
Cool motor-hot esc is undergeared/ slower geared for pulling runs. could use larger pinion

When you first start running a new truck you want to monitor temps, then everytime you change gearing you want to monitor temps. Until you get to know the gearing and the terrain you're running on.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:11 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by spookie
Hot motor-cool esc is over geared/ faster geared for speed runs, need smaller pinion
Cool motor-hot esc is undergeared/ slower geared for pulling runs. could use larger pinion
thats not what you guys said here. not picking, just verifying.

Hot motor / cold esc = you can increase pinion size wrong i think, actually over geared.

Originally Posted by spookie
I had to go look to see if I was wrong lol. You described it better lol.

Although not always true, a rule of thumb is:
Hot motor, cool controller (esc), cool batteries = under geared overgeared actually
Cool motor, hot controller (esc), hot batteries = overgearedundergeared
Warm motor, warm controller (esc), warm batteries = happy components

Hot, warm, and cool vary as well, so here's another general rule:
Hot for a motor = generally over 160F (71C)
Hot for a controller = generally over 150F (66C)(or "thermal" range for the controller)
Hot for batteries = generally over 150F (66C) for nimh, 130F (54C) for lipo
Warm for a motor = generally 100F (38C) through 150F (66C)
Warm for a controller = generally 100F (38C) through 130F (54C)
Warm for batteries = generally 100F (38C) through 130F (54C) for nimh, ambient temp through 120F (49C) for lipo
Cool for all components = generally ambient temp and up to 10 degrees F (5.6C) more

The reasons the above are not always true are numerous, but may include:
Sticky drivetrain - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
Poor quality batteries - batteries will heat up regardless of gearing.
Wrong motor for the application - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
Wrong controller for the application - will put un-necessary strain on electronics whether geared correctly or not.
https://www.rc-monster.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=299235
yep
Old 03-24-2014, 07:16 PM
Tech Champion

i have always done like this...

hot motor and cool to warm speedo is over geared, to fix your should reduce pinion tooth count.

cool motor and warm to hot speedo means under geared...or... the speedo is not sufficient to run the motor. if it was under geared the motor could be running fast and pulling a bunch of continuous current, and although this current might not be very powerful, the amount passing through the esc could lead to the buildup of heat. hence why in drifting you should pic and motor comfortable at high rpm for long periods, and a relatively high am esc.

usually though a hot esc means that the esc is just not powerful enough to run the motor.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Tech Master

[QUOTE=ThePanda;13127364]i have always done like this...

hot motor and cool to warm speedo is over geared, to fix your should reduce pinion tooth count.

cool motor and warm to hot speedo means under geared...or... the speedo is not sufficient to run the motor. if it was under geared the motor could be running fast and pulling a bunch of continuous current, and although this current might not be very powerful, the amount passing through the esc could lead to the buildup of heat. hence why in drifting you should pic and motor comfortable at high rpm for long periods, and a relatively high am esc.

usually though a hot esc means that the esc is just not powerful enough to run the motor.[/QUO

We will have to agree to disagree on this . You do what works for you guys and I will keep on keeping on .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.