R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 AM   #1
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)
Default Ofna Buggies, what exactly are the big differences?

I am looking into possible purchase of a RTR Ofna buggy for bashing and some racing.

I am not looking to spend alot here just in case I decide its not for me and I have so far been looking at the following cheaper alternatives other than the Jammin RTR:

Ultra LX Comp RTR
Ultra MBX Comp RTR
Ravager

What exactly are the differences between these buggies chassis wise? I know that some have different engines, etc. But what makes the MBX "better" than the LX, or Ravager different than the LX Comp or MBX, etc.?

The Hyper series also interests me but if I was to go that route for the money, I probably would do the Jammin as the cost difference between the PCR and the Jammin isn't much.

Thanks.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Get the Jammin. You will be dissapointed with any of those other choices. The Jammin uses standard sized componentry (springs, clutch, etc) and has performance that will be competitive. It is worth way more than the cost difference from the other buggies. I wouldn't bother with the Hyper 7's either. It's a good buggy but definitely a "last generation" design compared to the Jammin.
Davidka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Thanks for the advice. Right now I am looking for specific info on what I posted above to make a better informed descision.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:07 AM   #4
Tech Champion

The most important thing is that the MBX and LX aren't racing buggies so they will have minimal parts support at the hobby stores.
I have read many of your posts and know that you are an experienced racer. You will be frustrated by the parts availability/incompatibility of a "sport" buggy if you plan to race (c'mon, you KNOW you're going to race it )
I don't know too much about the MBX's but I can tell you that a guy I race electric with in the winter with who is every bit as fast as me indoors can't stay within a lap of me on an outdoor track with his Ofna MBX. (I run a Mugen)
Old 08-02-2005, 11:17 AM   #5
Tech Legend

The weird thing is out here there is Ofna parts support but I will probably do online ordering for my vehicle.

my experience with nitro is almost nill, I did have a Thunder Tiger Pro GT truck and the Ofna 4wd stadium truck for a few weeks but was always an electric guy. Because of that, I was looking for something that would be more bash oriented at this time as the actual race scene around here is very low right now even though the actual track is nice. Strange huh?

The Jammin buggy does intrigue me.

What are your thoughts on the Hyper 7 line as far as durability and raceability goes? Since it has been out awhile, I figure the bugs have been worked out.

Also same question still applies to everyone, thoughts on those buggys differences, also throw the Hyper 7 line into the mix as well!

Last edited by Cain; 08-02-2005 at 02:27 PM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 10:56 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

I have A hyper 7 it is super good. It will hold its own and or beat mugens and jammins. The have super good traction and turning. MBX AND LX ARE PEICES OF JUNK DONT BOTHER
Gas TRUCK444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 11:43 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Stay away from the Ultra LX/MBX buggies, they're too heavy and make poor racers. I have a plain jane Hyper 7 (C-Hub) and overall I am very pleased with its performance. I will stay with it until the Hyper 8 comes out later this year or beginning of the next year. Either that or I'll settle for the Jammin' X1CR.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:18 AM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Well I disagree with people who say the Ultra buggies are junk, they are actually pretty good and the price is awsome. I would definately go with the Jammin over the 3 choices you've got there just because getting the most up to date buggy will indeed mean better parts support and it will make a much better racer. If you werent going to race at all I would say that the Ravanger or the Ultra buggies are fine, but they really cant keep up with something like the Jammin. Not to mention that 1/8th buggy racing is really awsome and I'm sure once you try it you will love it.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to alana07

stay away from Ultra LX Comp RTR, Ultra MBX Comp RTR and Ravager. they're aged designs. you can try the Jammin X1CR or maybe wait for the hyper 8, just my s$0.002...
Old 08-03-2005, 06:59 AM   #10
Tech Legend

Thanks for the info guys.

Racing right now isn't something that is really done often here. A shame but its the truth.

Of the various Hyper RTR versions out there, can someone give me a quick breakdown of what the major differences are?

Looks like the Hyper 7 RTR standard has the standup servos and a .21 engine and different hubs?

the other two include a starter box, what are the differences between the PBS RTR and the PCR RTR?
Old 08-03-2005, 10:05 AM   #11
Tech Rookie

got this from ofnas site..

hyper pcr rtr-
-Oil Filled Coil-over Shocks

- Front And Rear Chassis Braces

- Low center of gravity 'Lay-down' servo mounts

- Special PCR Painted And Trimmed Body

- Full Ball Bearing Set

- Front Universals

- Fully Adjustable Suspension

- New front upper arm - 17 degree adjustment

- 7075 CNC lightened dogbones - center & rear

- Three Differentials

- Low-profile Radio Tray Box

- 3.5 Cc Hyper 21 Ps Engine

- Hard Coated Kick-up Chassis

hyper7 pbs(Pivot-Ball Suspension)-
- Adjustable, Hardcoated, Oil Filled, Coil-over Shocks

- Full Ball Bearing Set

- Front and Rear Pivot-Ball Suspension

- 8-Gear Center Spider Differential

- Vented disc brakes

- Low Profile Radio Tray & Box

- Hyper .21 8 Port Motor

- Slide Carburetor

- 3-Shoe Clutch

- Front & Rear Gear Differentials
brokeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 05:58 AM   #12
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax
Lightbulb

I don't like the way Ofna has produced so many 1/8 buggies that all share the same design. I don't know how many versions of the MBX they have on there right now and the Ravager doesn't look any different. The MBX does have a much wider stance then say an LX though.

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 06:16 AM   #13
Tech Champion

Bear in mind that Ofna is a combination of two Asain companies: Hobao (Hyper series buggies) and Hong Nor (MBX and Jammin buggies) Ofna is a distributor of the two brands and re-labels them for US sale.
This is why there is a Jammin and Hyper 7 (soon to be 8) competition level buggies that are both labeled "Ofna".
Old 08-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to supralative Send a message via Yahoo to supralative

No Hyper I have seen from the factory has has coilover shocks.
I have them on but I swapped out to the X1/9.5/LX coilover shocks.
At our local track the fastest time I have heard from locals is 34.xx.
I have only raced 3 times and have ran a 39.xx time. The Hyper 7 is a great buggy. Parts are all over the internet and they are cheap. Strong buggy and super durable. C Hub turns much better then PBS, but PBS is suppose to be more durable. I modified my PBS knuckles to get more steering...I havent tested it yet but maybe Aug 6th if we finish some car work. I have ordered most my stuff from the internet.

If you want a good entry level buggy with lots of product support from the internet...the Hyper 7 is the way to go out of what you listed.

I like mine alot. I do plan on getting a Jammin X1 once I get better with this buggy. Personally dont do the laydown servos they suck. For steering its fine but for throttle it sucks. I had it then sold that Hyper 7 and got another Hyper 7 with standard upright sevo set up and love it. I do wish I had laydown steering servo though.
My list of upgrades include, 5mm shock towres, coilover shocks, upgraded braces, top plate, turnbuckles, knuckles, and a few other things.

I started out bashing as you want to, watched them race and did it one weekend now I am hooked!!!! If you got any questions just PM me.
supralative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 07:40 PM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I bought a Hyper 7 (c-hub) at the beginning of the summer and have no complaints.

Is there a release date for the Hyper 8 yet?
J_Longbrake is offline   Reply With Quote