Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Indoor Carpet Offroad/Oval/Road course in York pa >

New Indoor Carpet Offroad/Oval/Road course in York pa

New Indoor Carpet Offroad/Oval/Road course in York pa

Old 02-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Post New Indoor Carpet Offroad/Oval/Road course in York pa

Hello fellow rc racers! The purpose of this thread is to guage interest in a new track that could be coming to York. The shop/track is likely coming, the question is; what classes, when to hold races, and keep in mind, with the space we have, the track itself is limited to about 30x26 feet. An idea that has already popped up is having a pivoting pipe on the backstretch to transform it from offroad to oval in seconds. The reason I would like to know which classes to expect is so I know how much lane width to put in the layout, and what vehicles to stock parts for. With the space, I can see anywhere from 1/24 to 1/10 2wd sct. The when is also a main concern, if 1/10 sct or buggy is a normal class, the races WILL NOT be run the same day as bumps and jumps or pitstop. So when they actually will be is TBD. To be a little more specific, this track would be right off of 83 in the Dallastown/Suburban school district area. We hope to soon be serving our local RC community and giving father and son a place to bond. All feedback is welcome and appreciated. Spread the word my friends!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:28 AM
Tech Regular

Any general advice on opening/running a hobby shop is also welcome.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I would suggest setting up a fixed schedule as this will help people know exactly what is being run when. Too often its "well I think this week is on-road...or is it off-road?" and just not show up.

For classes

Onroad - VTA, USGT should work in that space if you keep the heat size on the smaller
side.

Offroad - 2wd stock (17.5 blinky) buggy with maybe a super stock class (13.5). Ditto on Stadium truck (its really popular in some places). 2wd sct might work but be on the larger side. 4wd buggy should work well.

Mini's in general seem to have died down a bit but there is some regional popularity.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mkiiina
I would suggest setting up a fixed schedule as this will help people know exactly what is being run when. Too often its "well I think this week is on-road...or is it off-road?" and just not show up.

For classes

Onroad - VTA, USGT should work in that space if you keep the heat size on the smaller
side.

Offroad - 2wd stock (17.5 blinky) buggy with maybe a super stock class (13.5). Ditto on Stadium truck (its really popular in some places). 2wd sct might work but be on the larger side. 4wd buggy should work well.

Mini's in general seem to have died down a bit but there is some regional popularity.
Thanks for the input. I'd also think 17.5 buggy would work well as it has taken off in the last year or so. Stadium truck is relatively dead in the area.
My hope was that given enough prenotice that people would either dust off their minis or get their hands on one. As for oval, I'm completely unfamiliar with the scene, but those acronyms ring a bell, must be popular. At the end of the day, we'll run whatever shows up I suppose.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:25 PM
Tech Regular

Questions??

Anybody have an idea to help spread the word about this new track?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If you build it, they will come.

30x26 seems pretty small for 10th scale. 1/18 scale offroad and 1/12 onroad would probably do okay, but I doubt anybody will get excited to run those classes.

I do love the idea of having a carpet track in the area and hope to see you succeed with it. Racing on carpet is fun, but there are die hard dirt heads who just can't accept it for some silly reason.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
If you build it, they will come.

30x26 seems pretty small for 10th scale. 1/18 scale offroad and 1/12 onroad would probably do okay, but I doubt anybody will get excited to run those classes.

I do love the idea of having a carpet track in the area and hope to see you succeed with it. Racing on carpet is fun, but there are die hard dirt heads who just can't accept it for some silly reason.
Yeah. Wish I had a little more space, but I threw 10th out there because I know there's plenty of racers for it in the area. I'd imagine your buggy would do well on carpet. I think buggy will work. Any idea how many people already have 16th or 18th scale in the area? Also, the plan is to have it open for practice whenever the shop is open, since there's no watering or regular maintnance.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

With that size, I see 1/10 being lame, especially on carpet, running the losi mini 8ight would be dialed though.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rcjunky1
With that size, I see 1/10 being lame, especially on carpet, running the losi mini 8ight would be dialed though.
I also see mini 8ights as ideal. As well as rc18's. it's just a matter of drawing in enough of them or being able to build a following. Then there's the econo option of Tacon falcon to run with the mini 8ights.
Old 02-21-2014, 04:33 AM
Tech Master

The problem with with that is getting enough people to buy a specific car they can only race at one track. No other track races mini's so it's going to be a difficult prospect to get people to buy them just for your track.

If you do go mini, I'd say keep choices limited for cars. The mini 8ight and the Tacon Soar I think would make great racers. Unfortunately the world of minis is so varied that you'll have a hard time organizing classes. You've got 1/14th scale cars, 1/16th scale cars, and 1/18th scale cars.

Any chance of expanding your track or holding off until you can? I think that could be your best chance of success.

Last edited by RC10Nick; 02-21-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

The problem with with that is getting enough people to buy a specific car they can only race at one track. No other track races mini's so it's going to be a difficult prospect to get people to buy them just for your track.

If you do go mini, I'd say keep choices limited for cars. The mini 8ight and the Tacon Soar I think would make great racers. Unfortunately the world of minis is so varied that you'll have a hard time organizing classes. You've got 1/14th scale cars, 1/16th scale cars, and 1/18th scale cars.

Any chance of expanding your track or holding off until you can? I think that could be your best chance of success.
I would look at it as the other side. Alot of people already have that platform but never had a place to run them together. I would try and keep that as a "spec" class (ie box stock minus rx and tires although the stockers might work really well).

To append my list.

On-Road: 1/12 pan car, F1

Oval: Legends!!! (Seriously I completely forgot about this one!) 1/10 pan car(WGT) (13.5/1s/blinky/lilac spec tires).

To get the word out, get a website up and set up a facebook page. Social media is a great thing for this kind of thing and since the RC community tends to be tight knit should spread quickly.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:29 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Going to be tough as most of the guys that I know that use to run the mini type cars sold them as the only places around that raced them (Jims R/C and Kranzels) either closed completely or like Kranzels don't have a track anymore. With hat space you might be able to get some rock crawler guys if you put in something pretty cool. Lots of guys have them sitting around and always looking for a place to run them.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Build this, and I will stop racing anywhere else!

Those 1/14 buggies look too fun... and I could buy 1 for both Susie and me for the price of a normal kit. I'd be losing money if I didn't buy them!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Tech Regular

Build this, and I will stop racing anywhere else!

Those 1/14 buggies look too fun... and I could buy 1 for both Susie and me for the price of a normal kit. I'd be losing money if I didn't buy them!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
We're thinking about putting a Daytona turn on the one end, but man, that's insane.
Old 02-21-2014, 01:51 PM
Tech Regular

From what is seen/learned so far, I think 14th buggy, and the rc18's will e the best classes in mini. For a novice class, I was thinking 1/16 slash and then 1/10 buggy. Maybe 17.5 and mod. One of the reasons this is happening sooner rather than later is because we'll soon have a space with nothing in it. And this will at first be to supplement the lease. If it goes well, we'll expand to a larger space

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.