R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-01-2005, 05:05 AM   #136
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (99%+)

I have been to nationals that I raced in....

I am just saying that there are FAR more races than the average Joe can goto. To limit the nationals to just the guys that attend the regionals isn't the answer.

And yes I will goto Fla. instead of NJ....Its closer! LOL And the weather is most of the time better. And on top of that ITS MY MONEY TO SPEND WHERE I WANT AND MY VACATION TIME, so now lol But I shouldn't have to choose the Regional or Nationals or Snowbirds or Cleveland or any other race over the other.

Also to attend the Carpet nats and the asphalt nats, would I now be FORCED to attend BOTH regionals??? Thats double my cost now??

I agree that regionals should "mean" more than they do now. But I don't agree with limiting the nationals to do that.

Homie- look at it this way, you held a national....

Take Region 3

Region 3 on-road race last year had I think like 13 guys in stk TC and 5 in Mod.

How do you plan to say who goes and who doesn't? You saying the top ten goes? or just the Winner? Or TQ and Winner?

Would you base it on attendance? Say top 10%? Or based on members in that region?

Any way you do its going to limit the number of entries to the nationals.

It is hard enough now for a track to "Break Even" after a nationals, RIGHT? If you limit entries either A: Entry fees are going to have to go up, they are almost $100 now!
Or B: Tracks are going to Lose even more money, so how will host the nats after this happens?

Thats why I say GIVE the racer back something, Pay his entry and tires if he wins a regional.

Also how long before you tell me before you can run the regionals you must attend a state race?

Just some food for thought!
Old 08-01-2005, 05:18 AM   #137
Tech Elite

Anthony I didn't say your placing mattered, just the point that your showed up is good enough. Yes your presents would be required, not just a mailed in entry.

That is not limiting the nats any. We could give the first two months of sign up for the qualified drivers, then if the race doesn't fill up we could use non quailified drivers.

I still stand by my statement on it. As a ROAR rep, if I were, I would work on making our races bigger and better. The snowbirds and cleveland would not coming into play in any of my decisons. They are just races like any other, maybe with bigger entires, thats it.

You saying it would double the amount you spent. I bet two ROAR regionals that qualify for a national would be cheaper than one snowbird. Yes it is your maoney and you can spend it as you see fit. However if I were in there it would be my job to make you want to spend your money at the ROAR races.

Would you say the snowbirds would make a good qualifier for the nats?
Homer Allman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #138
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer Allman
Yes your presents would be required, not just a mailed in entry.

Maybe we should re-think this one. For those that cant make the regional (travel distance/time off work), this will not only hurt the hobby shop/track holding the regional, but would also hurt the National attendance.

Jason K.
jjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:38 AM   #139
Tech Elite

Well if just going is a way to qualify then ok!

I say use any of the "big" races as qualifiers. I know guys that will goto Snowbirds VS any ROAR race that has or will ever be... Why Fla. in Feb. Racing 24hrs a day, 800 other ppl that are intrested in the same thing you are. I don't EVER see a ROAR race doing any of the above...

As for your comparison for cost... I spent less at Snowbirds than you would think! And it would cost more to attend two races vs one! Why, how you say... Just what I stated before... Where am I getting all this time off from work... Not everyone owns thier own business and can take off when ever they want!

Case- I have 36hrs of vacation left right now (saving for the nats in Oct.) I have yet to use vacation time for VACATION. It was used for RC races. Fine by me.... But I have yet to attend an asphalt regional this year. Region 2's is next weekend in NJ 10 hrs away. I work Fri. Sat. Sun. Mon. 12hrs. So let me use my vacation for a regional that quailifes me for the nationals that I no longer can attend.... Guess what ROAR just lost me on two races. I am not going to the regionals and then can't goto the Nats because I have no time from work.

I am now going to Cleveland over Thanksgiving Holiday and not need vacation and use my 36hrs for the Vegas race in Sept. WINK WINK
Old 08-01-2005, 05:48 AM   #140
Tech Elite

Also I have not raced off-road in 2 yrs. But if the nats were Close and I wasn't working the weekend of the Nats. I would consider going.... but not If I have to attend a regional to do so. So that is one less racer that is giving ROAR money and supporting a track and tires and so on...

I am not the only one on that... Just at the Mad. nats two weekends ago a guy that runs TC's and I am not even sure he has ever ran off-road attended the Mod. nats in CT.

When asked why he went he said its in my backyard, why not go! That guy was Mike McMahon.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:06 AM   #141
Tech Elite

I guess you fellows missed my earlier post. I said open up the nats entires for the first two months to quailified drivers, if it does fill then allow non qualified drivers to fill the vacant spots. If you do not feel the regionals are important enough for you, then I guess stay home and hope there is some open spots.
Regionals race need importance and this is the path I would persure to make them meaningful. If we would lose some racers, then so be it. We can't make everyone happy.

Anthony what would be your suggestion in making regionals more important and getting the attendance up.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:48 AM   #142
Tech Elite

Follow these links and see how backwoods ROAR is. It makes me sick to think we could be there and aren't even close. I may turn the track into a landing strip. Now thats how it's done! RC airplanes on were on TV years before RC cars. We are so stone age.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/

http://www.modelaircraft.org/executivecouncil.asp

http://www.modelaircraft.org/ECnews....640055AB504262
Old 08-01-2005, 06:55 AM   #143
Suspended

I like the concept of having to race your Regional to attend the Nationals. That's what they just did over in EFRA for the European Champs. Drivers had to race in their own country's (much like our Regions) championship to be eligible.

Once the turnout at the regionals increases, you can make it a requirement to finish in the top 10 or 20 in order to attend the Nationals. Then the Nats are limited to 150 racers, for example (just like EFRA). A lot more prestigious that way.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 06:59 AM   #144
Tech Elite

I gave you my suggestion. If you TQ, win or top 3 at a regional then your entry is covered for the nats.

I read if it isn't full then you can get in. That is a solution just nothte best one. Why? Homie you are gonna hate me when this is over.....

I travel with some of my teammates, cuts cost for everyone. But lets say they are in, they went to the regional I didn't (for reasons stated above) Should I ask them to hold off on thier plans to see IF I get in?

I am just not a fan of telling ppl that they can't race a race like the nats. because of REAL LIFE things that take priority over RC cars/hobbies.

But even though I feel that way I still say that regionals (and all ROAR) races right now have that overpriced Club feel to them. And that is not the way it should feel when you attend a BIG race.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:07 AM   #145
Tech Elite

The AMA site just blew me away. I'm still recovering.

Anthoy I could never hate you, even if you said I was a jerkoff. It's just not me.

After veiwing the AMA site I see ROAR is so gone that it can't be saved.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:09 AM   #146
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprsme
I am just not a fan of telling ppl that they can't race a race like the nats. because of REAL LIFE things that take priority over RC cars/hobbies.

If you want to attend a national, maybe it should be mandatory to enter in your regional race (being present shouldnt matter). I know this sounds like a waste of money, but I would rather lose $30-$40 instead of a couple days of work. This way the track/hobby shop will not lose money on attendance and more tracks will want to host a regional. More tracks get involved, more "fast" guys get involved, and more local racers get involved (because of the sponsored/faster people race the regional).

Jason K.
jjkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:27 AM   #147
Suspended

I also think that if you make it a requirement to race in a Regional to attend a National, you should be allowed to race in ANY regional in order to save some people money.

For example, I live in Pittsburgh (Region 2). Say the race for Region 2 is in Virginia Beach...about a 7 hour drive. However, the Gate in Cleveland might be hosting the Region 5 event...which is only a 2 hour drive.

Another example can be someone living in Pensacola, FL. To attend a Regional in Miami would mean over a 9 hour drive! It would be MUCH easier for them to attend a Regional in Louisiana or Georgia.

In MOST cases, the race in your own Region will be closest to you. However, there needs to be some flexibility.
McSmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 07:31 AM   #148
Tech Elite

Quote:
The AMA site just blew me away. I'm still recovering.

Anthoy I could never hate you, even if you said I was a jerkoff. It's just not me.

After veiwing the AMA site I see ROAR is so gone that it can't be saved.

I knew when I saw your links that it was gonna blow your mind! My step-dad flies and has a flight club he leases land to. I have been around them for about a year now and they ask question about my RC stuff and I ask about thiers.

I wouldn't say that about you.... I just meant I am going to give you worst case situations everytime. LOL
Old 08-01-2005, 07:48 AM   #149
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Interesting conversation

Let me throw one other thing in here with all this attend a regional to qualify for a national stuff.I just attended my first national with my daughter(the mod nats at rcmadness).Had a great time.One of the primary reasons we went was to finally get to watch the pros.They don't come east very often(at least the northeast).Learned alot and had a great time.NOW for my point.....The regionals were held about 3-4 weeks before the nationals.Would have loved to go to the regional to help prep a bit etc.But...2 travel/hi cost races within a month makes no sense.Besides the time off required for each,the cost made it impossible to attend BOTH so close to each other.So...if we decide to make "rules" for entry let's also keep in mind scheduling.This Hobby/sport is still made up of mostly non full time/paid racers.Since I'm rambling here...one other thing....Been following alot of these ROAR discussions,one thing that keeps popping up from the ROAR people is"changes are coming",to the rules,the website etc.These "changes are coming" replies,....has anyone else noticed That we've been seeing them for about a year now?How long does it take to change rules and overhaul a wesite? It just seems the stock answer for any questioning is"it's coming".Not here yet.
lotus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 09:11 AM   #150
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
If I were to be lucky enough to get into office my first order would be to amend the by laws. No not the votng by laws. That would be done later. I would propose amending them to say, If you do not race in your regional you do not race in the nationals. this would immediately impact the turnout of regional races and make them bigger, which in turn would make the track more money, which in turn would mean better racing facilities.
This would require a definite admendment to the Regions. For instance, my region...

New Mexico and Wyoming are in the same region. If the regional were to be held in either location, we're talking a 12+ hour drive to get to the regional...

Montana, which is only 4 hours away from my track is in a separate region, that would require them to go out to Washington or Oregon for their regional race. Regions should be based on ROAR tracks, not just states that are randomly colored in to make up a region. And in some cases, regions should have some overlap...

IMO, Riverton and Billings should be in the same region, but it may be pushing it to include Billings and Denver in the same region, while for Riverton it's still an easy 5 hour drive to get to.

Also for any ROAR member that may be reading this topic... and I know you are... It's a shame that you decided to remove the only method of communication that we had left with you. It is impossible to contact Regional directors, and removing this last avenue of contact will not help ROAR become any better. I hope you reconsider. If necessary, put a forum on your own site... Also, it may help if you actually keep your site up to date. The latest news is from stuff that supposedly occurred last October, and a press release about the mod nationals, which has come and gone... I would surely hope that ROAR would post a writeup with results of their own event. I believe that your lack of enthusiam for your own events dooms the organization. Supposedly Mod is supposed to be the superbowl of Electric racing. Why don't you start treating it that way?