Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What to check on used RC >

What to check on used RC

What to check on used RC

Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default What to check on used RC

I just purchased a used Losi 2.0 E 1/8 truggy online. I looked at pics and asked questions but what should I check/change once it arrives before taking it to the track? Fluids, diff gears, bearings...?

Also, can someone point me in the correct direction for the dedicated thread on the 2.0 E truggy plz?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Smile

Originally Posted by Crimsonhooch View Post
I just purchased a used Losi 2.0 E 1/8 truggy online. I looked at pics and asked questions but what should I check/change once it arrives before taking it to the track? Fluids, diff gears, bearings...?

Also, can someone point me in the correct direction for the dedicated thread on the 2.0 E truggy plz?
I would start with stripping the truggy down and rebuilding it using the manual. That way you'll learn your way around the truggy quicker and understand how it goes together so that when your at the track you can easily work on it!

This also gives you the opportunity to go through the drivetrain and check for wear particularly on the diff pinion and crown gears as well as the drive cups/outdrives and driveshaft pins. You also need to check that the drive shafts are straight.

New fluids in the diffs and shocks wouldn't go amiss either.

If you take your time over the rebuild at least you'll know when you hit the track you have some confidence in the car and also you are starting from a known platform.

Good luck and enjoy the new car!!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-0-thread.html
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Replace shock and diff oils with factory spec, replace o-rings. Driveline parts should be checked for wear and play (gears, dogbones, outdrives, bearings, drive pins, etc). Make sure hingepins and turnbuckles are not bent and the suspension doesn't bind. Look for cracked or bent plastics, rod-ends with too much play. Tighten all the screws and nuts, apply loctite if needed, replace any that feel like they are close to stripping. If it came with wheels/tires check the tire tread, make sure they are still well glued and wheels not cracked/warped.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You dont have to strip it down to its individual parts and rebuild it. If you have any RC experience at all , you know how most of this stuff works. You should however touch every screw and nut on the truck , throw away the stripped ones . Pull the diffs out of the gear boxs , change the oil in them. Shim them well . Change the shock oil , and look them over for bent/worn parts. Fresh bearings are nice , but whats in there may be good. The 8 t can eat up rear diffs . If you run the truck , and hear any skipping in the rear diff , rebuild it asap. A drop of loc tite on all screws that screw into metal is good insurance. Every car I own was bought second hand , and this is pretty much the routine I do. Has worked very well for me so far
Old 02-12-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Crimsonhooch View Post

Congrats on the purchase. I have one and it is my favorite car.

I've bought a lot of used cars over the years, and this Truggy was one of them. I always do an inspection before I run them. The first thing I do with a used 8th scale is change the diff fluids. While I'm doing that I inspect all high wear areas of the car (bearings, out drives, gears, CVA's, shock seals, etc.) Unless they seller says the shocks are newly rebuilt, I will change the fluids on them.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

As a minimum I would check for binding and slop.

how much free play is in the moving parts, how much wear is in the drive cups, Does it spin free, sound right.

Those are baselines you can get without taking it apart.

Honestly though you would want to some time soon replace the juice in the shocks and diff cups. I would even suggest as a matter or course to assume the seals on those need to be replaced and the old fluid flushed out and replaced. I would also replace the bearings as a matter of course, that is often just a $20+/- investment.

Anything you find worn and damaged along the way will of course need to be addressed.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Also, if this is going to go racing , put the box setup on the thing ... Dont judge anything by the set up it shows up with
Old 02-12-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 252 (100%+)

Personally when I get in used vehicles I always give them a full tear down and rebuild.

This allows you to get to components that may have wear that under a normal look-see you don't notice. Having your fun stopped because of something that could have been caught early is really annoying.

When buying used, I usually figure about 10 - 20 bucks in "refreshing" the vehicle, especially stripped or gonna strip screws, etc. and a few bearings not up to what I need.

And some vehicles are more sloppy than others, usually with the various B4s and T4s I have had in the past, knowing how the vehicles seemed to get sloppy very quick it wasn't worth the cost for the conditions being run on to replace the suspension components since the vehicles worked fine sloppy.