Wiki Posts
Search

AE Big Bores - Help this poor racer!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grasschopper
Hope it helps...and if so I feel bad as I'm the one that sold them to you.
No worries! I LOVE this buggy! Thanks again for selling it to me! I have had so much fun since switching from SCT to 2WD buggy!
Old 02-11-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon
No worries! I LOVE this buggy! Thanks again for selling it to me! I have had so much fun since switching from SCT to 2WD buggy!
Oh good...glad your enjoying it.
Old 02-11-2014, 08:44 AM
Tech Legend

Typhoon

After you bleed & install the bleed screw ?

Pump the shock a few times before you check the rebound.
If you don't you will never know the true rebound.

After you mix the air into the oil the shock shaft will not pull back inside & should rebound 2 to 3m.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Typhoon

After you bleed & install the bleed screw ?

Pump the shock a few times before you check the rebound.
If you don't you will never know the true rebound.

After you mix the air into the oil the shock shaft will not pull back inside & should rebound 2 to 3m.
Yeah, I have tried pumping. Usually about 15 times. I still get about 15mm or more of pull back from the shaft. Rebound is still generally about 3mm. I have tried bleeding with the spring retainers on the shaft, and that helped a tiny bit. I am going to redo my shocks and take actual measurements with my calipers. I will post results here.

I am starting to lean toward the Avid springs as the root cause of my bounciness on the track though. I will swap those out and see how the car behaves.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Legend

Typhoon

Read the directions and follow to the letter.

If you have 17m rebound you did not bleed correctly and still had to much air or oil inside the shock.
Even better

Suggest get someone with experience to help you .
Old 02-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
Typhoon

Read the directions and follow to the letter.

If you have 17m rebound you did not bleed correctly and still had to much air or oil inside the shock.
Even better

Suggest get someone with experience to help you .
No, the shock pulls back in about 17mm. I usually have around 4mm of rebound. Again, I will have actual measurements next time.

I had a buddy show me around the Big Bores, and have watched and read just about everything there is on these shocks. I am somewhat familiar with them. I appreciate the help.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Tech Legend

No, the shock pulls back in about 17mm. I usually have around 4mm of rebound. Again, I will have actual measurements next time.

I had a buddy show me around the Big Bores, and have watched and read just about everything there is on these shocks. I am somewhat familiar with them. I appreciate the help.
only pulls the shaft back inside because you failed to pump the shock before checking.

Good luck with...
Old 02-11-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hmmm, mine behave exactly as yours do right after I bleed them.

But within a couple of pumps of the shock shaft air gets inside the shock body to relieve the negative internal pressure, the oil/air emulsifies, and no more rebound is felt. This is how I have run my AE V1 BigBores.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I know I fixed my air leak problem by taking the orings out. Or you can use that losi mod that people were talking about to eliminate the possibility of air going through. Correct me if I'm wrong. What piston size are you using?
Old 02-11-2014, 10:33 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Hey guys. I am newer to racing and I am really struggling with one issue that I can never get a decisive answer on. I have searched and searched, and the answers I have found are even more obscure than what the folks at the track are telling me.

When I build my Big Bore shocks I generally get 3-5mm of rebound. Also, when I pull the shaft OUT, it sucks about halfway back in. Sometimes more. Some say this is normal, some say you don't want it, but NOBODY has told me how to fill and bleed these to get no rebound. Most tuning guides for the b4.2 say to build the shock with no rebound. I have yet to do it successfully. My car seems bouncy on the track, and I would like to make sure my shocks are 100% accurate.

So how much "suction" should the shaft experience? (shaft pulling back in body)

How are you filling/bleeding to get no rebound?

Thanks guys.
I feel your pain. It sure would help if the manufacturers instructions were more helpful. I have found that usually, the correct way to build shocks is never how the manual describes.
Old 02-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How I build my emulsion shocks, hope this helps.

Step 1:
Push the shock shaft up 1/2 way into the shock body. Fill with shock oil to the rim. Slowly pull the shock shaft all the way down. The fill the rest of the shock with oil, again to the rim. SLOWLY push the shock shaft up 7/8th's of the way, do not let the piston uncover with oil. Then pull the shock shaft back down slowly. Fill with shock oil til you notice a slight "dome" shape of oil. Tighten the shock cap on to the shock with the bleeder screw tightened. (Repeat process so all 4 shocks are down at the same time.

Step 2 (easiest step of them all):
Let shocks sit for 10-20 minutes, I usually smoke a cig, watch a race, chit chat, etc. No real time frame but a minimum of 10 minutes is ideal.

Step 3:
Remove bleeder screw completely. SLOWLY push the shock shaft into the shock body getting excess oil out then tighten down the bleeder screw with the shock shaft still fully compressed in the shock body.

Step 4:
Unscrew bleeder screw 1/2 way, and slowly BUT consistantly pump the shock shaft 5-7 times. The last stroke push it up completely and tighten bleeder screw.

Step 5:
Clean with cleaning solvant and toothbrush, install spring cup and spring, and enjoy.

That is how I rebuild my shocks, have a shock stand but I dont use it much. I just lay the shocks down on my bench and walk away. Also I only hand tighten my shock caps, and never a leaking issue, you don't need expensive shock tools.

Hope this helps,
Brandon
Old 02-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

On kyosho shocks(which have basically the same finished build as ae bleeder screw shocks[suck in]) i was told that the "suck in" was a good thing, it would then pull just enough air in through the o rings to keep the shocks built perfectly the same with the same ammount of air. When i built my knosho shocks, thats exactly what happened, just enough air was sucked in after aome use to give them 0 rebound after a bit of use, and equal air inside.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

SECOND QUESTION:

Good shock package for a medium-bite, bumpy track with small to medium sized jumps.

Thinking about going for the 1.3 x 4 pistons.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Second answer:

Trial and error.

Every track is different, and there is more than just track conditions and grip level that play into shock setup. Air temp, humidity also play factors.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Captcha
How I build my emulsion shocks, hope this helps.

Step 1:
Push the shock shaft up 1/2 way into the shock body. Fill with shock oil to the rim. Slowly pull the shock shaft all the way down. The fill the rest of the shock with oil, again to the rim. SLOWLY push the shock shaft up 7/8th's of the way, do not let the piston uncover with oil. Then pull the shock shaft back down slowly. Fill with shock oil til you notice a slight "dome" shape of oil. Tighten the shock cap on to the shock with the bleeder screw tightened. (Repeat process so all 4 shocks are down at the same time.

Step 2 (easiest step of them all):
Let shocks sit for 10-20 minutes, I usually smoke a cig, watch a race, chit chat, etc. No real time frame but a minimum of 10 minutes is ideal.

Step 3:
Remove bleeder screw completely. SLOWLY push the shock shaft into the shock body getting excess oil out then tighten down the bleeder screw with the shock shaft still fully compressed in the shock body.

Step 4:
Unscrew bleeder screw 1/2 way, and slowly BUT consistantly pump the shock shaft 5-7 times. The last stroke push it up completely and tighten bleeder screw.

Step 5:
Clean with cleaning solvant and toothbrush, install spring cup and spring, and enjoy.

That is how I rebuild my shocks, have a shock stand but I dont use it much. I just lay the shocks down on my bench and walk away. Also I only hand tighten my shock caps, and never a leaking issue, you don't need expensive shock tools.

Hope this helps,
Brandon
+1 alla ryan lutz shock building school a little tweaked for emulsion build. works every time. great instructions. ae bbs are a little tricky. the losi bleeder screw and washer upgrade also helps with leakes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.