Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Newbie Help with 2wd SCT motor/esc selection >

Newbie Help with 2wd SCT motor/esc selection

Newbie Help with 2wd SCT motor/esc selection

Old 02-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Newbie Help with 2wd SCT motor/esc selection

I am just coming back to the hobby after about 20 years, and plan on racing some this summer, I did an indoor race this past weekend and got a 2 thirds and a first in 3 heats with my fried stock brushed motor. So that is my question is motor selection I have been trying to read up and learn about the kV ratings, number of poles, T ratings, brushless, sensored and still pretty confused. I will be running 2wd SCT with my Kyosho Ultima SC, and possibly 4 different tracks. One is a small technical indoor carpet track, one is a smaller outdoor track not very technical, the other 2 are bigger outdoor fairly technical tracks also. Only one of them has a motor rule (The Grove in Rock Hill, SC), and it is 17.5 blinky, BUT you can run timing on the motor itself(which I have never messed with).
So I think I definitely want sensored and brushless but am still confused about poles and kV..
I have read pretty good things about the Castle systems and the Hobbywing (but don't know which system to choose for either) but It seems many of those systems are 4-pole which as I read seem to have more torque which may be bad for 2wd on loose tracks. I had someone who runs at one of the tracks say that you could account for this with gearing he said he uses the Castle S3 5700 kV, but it is not sensored.

I am leaning pretty heavy also to this brushless hobbies LT4 80A ESC that seems very good for the money.

But don't know what motor to pair it up with I haven't heard much about their motors. I have heard good things about the Trinity D3.5 but also heard they are discontinuining it.

So any input for a good motor and/or ESC is greatly appreciated! Thanks for helping a newbie out.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So help us a little ... are you saying you are in fact going to run the 17.5 class ? Because if that is the case , you dont need to do a whole lot...

If you are not running 17.5 , then my vote is either the 10.5 or 13.5 to start with .

http://www.falconsekido.com/products...combo-x-series
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I like reedy, lrp, and trinity motors. You will want sensored, a 17.5 for 17.5 class, and most likley a mod motor for the other places. Somewhere in 8.5-13.5 depending on track.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by wittyname View Post
So help us a little ... are you saying you are in fact going to run the 17.5 class ? Because if that is the case , you dont need to do a whole lot...

If you are not running 17.5 , then my vote is either the 10.5 or 13.5 to start with .
I probably won't run the track with the 17.5 rule much at all. So I thought I would maybe keep an eye out for a used 17.5. I can't post links on here because I'm a newbie here but if you search Youtube for "Renegade R/C Bristol Mall" that is the indoor track I will run alot, and also search "Hobbytown Johnson City Racing" and "Axial Exo Terra Get some Game" These are the 3 I will mainly run and all have no motor rules.
Old 02-10-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the input
Old 02-10-2014, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/revento...on-v3-0-combo/

I'd go with the 10.5T. Better to have a little too much motor and tone it down than push something slower to its absolute limit.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

if you don't mind racing in mod classes you may think about the Castle SCT system 3800kv 4 pole, reasonably priced and faster than a dog with bengay on his nards.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I would also vote to get at least a 10.5T motor. Most of the motors out there are good, but if you get a sensored motor and ESC you would have so much more flexibility to tune your truck. I run a Novak 9.5T motor with a Novak Havoc pro ESC in my Ultima SC and and never had issues or glitches and is very easy to tune and you can pick a motor and ESC combo or separate motor and ESC here for a great price. And as you get back into the hobby and race at the track also ask guys at the track about set up. Most of the guys will probably not tell you they're set up but there are some guys that would be more then happy to help out.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:04 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

i run a 9.5T in my Ultima. works well. 8.5T is more common amongst the more experienced guys. since i'm still new to this, i went with a 9.5T.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chillindrdude View Post
i run a 9.5T in my Ultima. works well. 8.5T is more common amongst the more experienced guys. since i'm still new to this, i went with a 9.5T.
The reason I ran a 9.5T last year was cause when they changed the track plan for the second time in the season they made it to technical, too many curves and jumps not enough straightaways before the change we had two straightaways one in the front of the track and one behind so I could not use the full potential of a faster motor since we lost these. So this is why it depends on the track conditions you have to set up your truck to suite your driving style and track.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks guys I ordered the Speed Passion Competition MMM 10.5 today. Now have to pick an ESC. I am looking at the Hobbywing ones and trying to figure out which one is best. Also what C rating battery will I need? I have two 30C now.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevmtnbiker View Post
Thanks guys I ordered the Speed Passion Competition MMM 10.5 today. Now have to pick an ESC. I am looking at the Hobbywing ones and trying to figure out which one is best. Also what C rating battery will I need? I have two 30C now.
hobbywing is good. unless your battery has a super low capacity, that 30c rating should be more than enough to get going. if you really want more battery, go for something in the 45-75 c range.