R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Tips for removing stripped or damaged screws (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/791752-tips-removing-stripped-damaged-screws.html)

KAWIDAD 02-08-2014 12:37 PM

Tips for removing stripped or damaged screws

Looking for any tips or suggestions to remove screws with broken tips in them. Thanks

iThinman 02-08-2014 12:45 PM

dremel a notch in the top and remove with a flat head screw driver

ntJeff 02-08-2014 12:47 PM

Dremel, like stated above.

If the screw head is just stripped, take a torx bit slightly larger than the stripped screw, and tap it in gently. Then unscew it. Works like a charm usually, unless it's loctited in, or screwed in really tight.

huzzler 02-08-2014 12:53 PM

You want to use a cutoff wheel for the Dremel. For future reference if it's locktighted in and it feels like it's to tight use a solder iron and place the tip on the screw to heat it up first. It will melt the lock tite and prevent breaking the tip.

BradS 02-08-2014 05:23 PM

a screw extractor normally will work as well, can pick up at your local hardware store

blis 02-08-2014 06:42 PM

Before you go making a mess of the chassis try one of these first:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

1) Apply a little heat to the stripped screw, you can use a soldering iron and some oil to help with the heat transfer, oil should help get up to 120c. This will help loosen any loctite etc.

2) Attempt to use the Automatic punch attacking the screw at a tangent from all point around the perimeter of the screw.

3) If 2) two fails, make only a small notch to get purchase and try again

4) If 3) Fails, go hard and slot the stubborn ^*&^*& with a Dremel!

(NOTE: if it's a 1.5mm metric, it's equivalent is slightly bigger and works most times.)

KAWIDAD 02-08-2014 07:33 PM

Thanks to all.
Really would prefer not to cut into the aluminum chassis (c4.2) inless its a must.
I tried to heat with soldering iron, and that's when I broke my 2nd tip off in screw:flaming::mad:
I have a $50 screw extractor kit (craftsman), but the problem is the tip is in center of screw, which doesn't really allow the extractor to work properly:rolleyes:
Blis-I don't think I'm following you on what to do with the punch:confused:..punch perimeter of screw, then what? Thanks again

JeepnMike 02-08-2014 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by KAWIDAD (Post 12990048)
Thanks to all.
Really would prefer not to cut into the aluminum chassis (c4.2) inless its a must.
I tried to heat with soldering iron, and that's when I broke my 2nd tip off in screw:flaming::mad:
I have a $50 screw extractor kit (craftsman), but the problem is the tip is in center of screw, which doesn't really allow the extractor to work properly:rolleyes:
Blis-I don't think I'm following you on what to do with the punch:confused:..punch perimeter of screw, then what? Thanks again

You are at the point where the mandatory two-beer break is in order.;)

Maybe heat it, dremel a notch just to the side of where the broken tip is? Usually an EZ Out works well, but with the tip there that really sucks. I don't see any easy way to get it out without marring the chassis at least a little, at least to get a notch big enough to give a screwdriver something to actually bite on.

KAWIDAD 02-08-2014 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by JeepnMike (Post 12990070)
You are at the point where the mandatory two-beer break is in order.;)

Maybe heat it, dremel a notch just to the side of where the broken tip is? Usually an EZ Out works well, but with the tip there that really sucks. I don't see any easy way to get it out without marring the chassis at least a little, at least to get a notch big enough to give a screwdriver something to actually bite on.

Yup, 2 of something,that's for sure:sneaky:;)
Its looking like I might be bust'n out da dremel.
Damn these sae screws:(,
And no more loctite for me on these small screws,will be trying fingernail polish next. My 9yr old daughter won't miss the"cool guy" blue,I'm sure of it:p:lol:

ThePanda 02-08-2014 08:09 PM

have you thought about glueing on a cheap allen or something? i had a stubborn screw once, and i used some epoxy, or ca glue(don't remember which) and glued in a cheap allen wrench. i was able to (after the glue was all hardened) turn out the screw.

KAWIDAD 02-08-2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by ThePanda (Post 12990129)
have you thought about glueing on a cheap allen or something? i had a stubborn screw once, and i used some epoxy, or ca glue(don't remember which) and glued in a cheap allen wrench. i was able to (after the glue was all hardened) turn out the screw.

Brilliant:batman:
Worth a shot for sure. Wonder what would be strongest?
Conveniently I now have 2 broken tip .063 (1/16) I could use:rolleyes:

ThePanda 02-08-2014 08:18 PM

make sure you clean off the parts to glue.

orangutanracer 02-08-2014 08:40 PM

You could try a Left Handed drill bit. Sometimes they grab and the screw comes out. If they don't grab you will have a hole for an extractor.

AERob 02-08-2014 09:44 PM

I had one of the servo mount screws seize on my Centro, and I was able to use a drill with small bit to drill a pilot hole. I then went to a larger bit to separate the head from the rest of the screw. Once the mount was out, I used a pair of pliers to walk the screw out the rest of the way.

KAWIDAD 02-09-2014 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by AERob (Post 12990318)
I had one of the servo mount screws seize on my Centro, and I was able to use a drill with small bit to drill a pilot hole. I then went to a larger bit to separate the head from the rest of the screw. Once the mount was out, I used a pair of pliers to walk the screw out the rest of the way.

My only issue with using that method or the extractor method, is that the tip of the hex drive is broken in the screwS. (2 of them)