Car in the pool

Old 02-07-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Car in the pool

Ok, so my son has (had) an Arrma ADX-10 that he drove into the pool yesterday. Now of course it doesn't work I'm assuming all the electrics are fried.

My question is, being a low end model do you guys think I'd be better off getting a new car vs. tearing this one completely down and rebuilding. I was looking at the Team Associated RCB4.2 RTR for $250

Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

YOu could probably buy a new car for the price of new electronics. Then you would have lots of spare plastic parts.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To me , my time is much more important to me then money ... I enjoy working on my cars , i really do , but too much time invested is the same as spending bad money .
Old 02-07-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I would say pull the electronics out and spray the car down with WD40 to prevent rust first.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money, you could replace all the electronics with stuff from Hobby King for less than $100. I have a bunch of batteries, a few motors, and a couple of speed controllers from them and I have had nothing but good luck.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

^ That's what I'd do. Pick up a Flysky GT3B transmitter for about $40 from Hobbypartz. Get a $30 esc and a Turnigy motor from Hobbyking and it would be good to go. If they ever have problems they'd be cheap to replace. This is a far more economical route than replacing the car with another rtr but it will require a little labor.
Old 02-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. I don't mind the labor part, I have a 1/8 nitro buggy myself and really like the building aspect. I'll check with HobbyKing, maybe this will be a good teaching opportunity for him. Tearing the car down and rebuilding.

Thanks again!!
Old 02-07-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Better questions for you in order to give a better opinion:

How old is your son?
How serious are you and your son into actually racing?
How long do you see you both doing it?

I only ask because if he is having fun bashing it only then go the cheap route
If he is racing and wants to continue to do so I would upgrade to a better kit and spend the money now and I would also keep the bashed truck with cheap stuff for him to drive at home or bash spots.

I have a few mini 8ights for my 5 year old to bash but he also has a XXX-SCT fully decked out and a 22T for the track only.

Like you I don't mind wrenching but I also dont want to spend big bucks for a bash car.

Something to keep in mind.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by kawi650
I would say pull the electronics out and spray the car down with WD40 to prevent rust first.

If you don't want to spend a ton of money, you could replace all the electronics with stuff from Hobby King for less than $100. I have a bunch of batteries, a few motors, and a couple of speed controllers from them and I have had nothing but good luck.
i prefer Corrosion X over WD40, it's what i use on all my RC boats,
connectors, esc, RX, connectors, and motor. and i mean saturate all of it. then Speed X your bearings after.
Old 02-07-2014, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

I love rebuilding my cars! Doing it without a manual is even more fun. They should be torn down and rebuilt sometimes, might as well let this be his first time.