R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #76
Tech Adept

Can somebody please help me out with a staring point for the 777 sp1 ive tried to find setupsheets and other articals on this forum but cant find anything. DO yall have the setup that yall used in the shootout Stephen?????????

SOME BODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sgt_Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 03:28 PM   #77
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just run what I can afford. If people want to say their car's better because of a magazine article, more power to them. These are the guys that end up switiching cars 3 times in a season because they never spend the time to tune and expect things to work straight out of the box.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 09:44 PM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

AWOLsoldier, Me too, budgets are a terrible thing, LOL.....But.

After spending $250 for two servos, $275-400 for a good FM synthesized or Spektrum system, $300+ for an engine, $120 for a pipe, $300 worth of wheels and tires, $80 on a painted body, $30 for a gallon of fuel, $140 for a good charger, $130 for a starter box and batteries for it, $100+ on spare parts....
....all totaling about $1800, what my car costs, either $500 or $650 or even $700 doesn't seem like that much of an issue.

I realized after a few DNF's because of little things that i'd rather spend the money on a top level car, or at least one that alot of people at my track are using...I also realized why I have to work so hard during the week looking at what all my stuff costs if I bought it all at one time, haha....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:49 PM   #79
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
I just run what I can afford. If people want to say their car's better because of a magazine article, more power to them. These are the guys that end up switiching cars 3 times in a season because they never spend the time to tune and expect things to work straight out of the box.
The article wasn't written to make you switch cars. It was to answer a question, if I'm buying a new top of the line buggu which should I buy. And just like your answer our answer is a legitamite one. Three of us spent 2 long days on the same track with 6 cars with the same equipment. That's something not many people can do or even attempt.

So our "magazine" article does have quite a bit of weight behind it. And these weren't tested out of the box, they started at Pro driver setups and were tweak to make them handle like we wanted. Yes set up time can help a car go faster but if it takes you a year to extract the most speed from a car, where you'd start that fast with another which would you rather have?

And in the end it's our opinion of which cars we would buy. So you don't have to agree or run out and buy a new car.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:42 AM   #80
Tech Elite

Good god jim, you don't need a 80 dollar custom painted body! You can get cheaper pipes as well that work great. This is why I love the rctech classifieds, great deals on a lot of good stuff. You're right about being nickle and dimed though, it can add up if you get carried away.

As far as the magazine article, it was fun to read but throughout the year when you review these cars individually, you give them 9s and 10s and now in a big shootout, some are great while now others that had high marks are not so great now. I know research, I know statistics, I've done tons of both in college and beyond so I like details. I know the constraints a magazine has so you have to say one is better than the other but you can't expect people to take it seriously especially when you have advertisers and deadlines to appease.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:55 AM   #81
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
Good god jim, you don't need a 80 dollar custom painted body! You can get cheaper pipes as well that work great. This is why I love the rctech classifieds, great deals on a lot of good stuff. You're right about being nickle and dimed though, it can add up if you get carried away.

As far as the magazine article, it was fun to read but throughout the year when you review these cars individually, you give them 9s and 10s and now in a big shootout, some are great while now others that had high marks are not so great now. I know research, I know statistics, I've done tons of both in college and beyond so I like details. I know the constraints a magazine has so you have to say one is better than the other but you can't expect people to take it seriously especially when you have advertisers and deadlines to appease.

What are you talking about? We have to pick a winner, but we're appeasing our advertisers? One company is happy with the results, the winner. And since you're big on statistics, you'd understand that when you judge a car alone it's different than a group, sort of like how you're arguing you're happy with the car you bought. If we only bought one car and drove it, tuned and was happy with it. But until you get all the car, in the same conditions, you can't really pick which is better. They are score against each other in a shoot out. In a review, they are score on the the driving/review experience.

Yes, we have deadlines and advertisers, but in the end our readers are the ones we answer to. So shootouts are very difficult to do. Partly because of what you mentioned. I can tell you that just about every company in that shoot out besides Kyosho sent me an email about it. Some happy, some not.

But again, why a magazine that did a shoot out the right way and came up with a winner opionion isn't valid because we have advertisers and deadline? I think you could try and explain that one to me.

It's like having a real shoot out of a F430, Ford GT, 911 Turbo and having to pick a winner. Alone they are all incredible. Judge together and their flaws may show.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:25 PM   #82
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekB
What are you talking about? We have to pick a winner, but we're appeasing our advertisers? One company is happy with the results, the winner. And since you're big on statistics, you'd understand that when you judge a car alone it's different than a group, sort of like how you're arguing you're happy with the car you bought. If we only bought one car and drove it, tuned and was happy with it. But until you get all the car, in the same conditions, you can't really pick which is better. They are score against each other in a shoot out. In a review, they are score on the the driving/review experience.

Yes, we have deadlines and advertisers, but in the end our readers are the ones we answer to. So shootouts are very difficult to do. Partly because of what you mentioned. I can tell you that just about every company in that shoot out besides Kyosho sent me an email about it. Some happy, some not.

But again, why a magazine that did a shoot out the right way and came up with a winner opionion isn't valid because we have advertisers and deadline? I think you could try and explain that one to me.

It's like having a real shoot out of a F430, Ford GT, 911 Turbo and having to pick a winner. Alone they are all incredible. Judge together and their flaws may show.
I bet GS wasn't too happy. Look it was a good article, you all put a lot of work into it and did a good job. Don't take me bitching about some of the aspects of it personal. I'd take the 911 Turbo, it's probably easier to park.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:38 PM   #83
Tech Addict

Sgt.Morrow-As for the diffs I have been hearing alot of guys like 5-7-1.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:57 PM   #84
Tech Elite

Derek, the review you guys did is kind of what i'm doing, but i'm working at a slower pace, LOL.

In the last 3 or 4 years i've been thru 7 buggies and 9 monster trucks! But, since I also race electric on and off road and have also run some gas sedan and 12th scale, I may just be into all the tinkering, more then a personal shootout format, hah hah........

My favorite truck was the Revo so far, once I swapped to aluminum shock ends and non pourus driveshafts. Steve Slayden and I had a good battle at Rc Pro east #1 when my truck was box stock and brand new. But when everyone started removing the EZ starts and getting longer chassis, it had to go, too serious for "monster truck".

My favorite buggy so far has been the MBX5 prospec, but the XB8 seems really good after only 6 tanks, feels like a slightly more aggressive 7.5 to me, so it will be close.

The X1cr was really nice to biuld, went together well, but alot of the components seemed "cheapie", such as improperly cut hinge pin e clip recesses, soft motor mounts, etc...so right away an "inexpensive car" needed $30 screw type hinge pins, a $25 front lower arm mount and a $50 one peice motor mount, so much for inexpensive at a total of $665.....The knuckle design is stellar though.......jmo, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 08-26-2005, 05:06 PM   #85
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Derek, the review you guys did is kind of what i'm doing, but i'm working at a slower pace, LOL.

In the last 3 or 4 years i've been thru 7 buggies and 9 monster trucks! But, since I also race electric on and off road and have also run some gas sedan and 12th scale, I may just be into all the tinkering, more then a personal shootout format, hah hah........

My favorite truck was the Revo so far, once I swapped to aluminum shock ends and non pourus driveshafts. Steve Slayden and I had a good battle at Rc Pro east #1 when my truck was box stock and brand new. But when everyone started removing the EZ starts and getting longer chassis, it had to go, too serious for "monster truck".

My favorite buggy so far has been the MBX5 prospec, but the XB8 seems really good after only 6 tanks, feels like a slightly more aggressive 7.5 to me, so it will be close.

The X1cr was really nice to biuld, went together well, but alot of the components seemed "cheapie", such as improperly cut hinge pin e clip recesses, soft motor mounts, etc...so right away an "inexpensive car" needed $30 screw type hinge pins, a $25 front lower arm mount and a $50 one peice motor mount, so much for inexpensive at a total of $665.....The knuckle design is stellar though.......jmo, Jim
I don't know if you got an early kit on the Jammin, but our hinge pins were perfect, we still used the old style eninge mount (which was upgraded about a month after we got ours). And if you had these problems Jammin would have sent you the correct parts out with no cost. plus they are releasing a new edition with even more upgraded parts soon.

But you've got great information and running each buggy over time will let you know how they are. BUT and a big one, until you run each car in a group back to back you can really never say which was different, it's really a big difference.

For those who like to think about cheap plastics you'd be surprised who molds the plastics for which buggies, lots of parts are all made from the same place, but there are more expensive plastics. I thin perception and actual quality are very different.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:18 PM   #86
Tech Elite

Derek, true, I did get an early kit, in fact I bought a spare tank made from the earlier material before finding out about the new one, ha. I also noticed the motor mount improvement on the later kits, good move on Ofna/Jammin's part.
I'm not trying to bag too hard on the X1, it's a good car, but some of the things I came across just led me to believe it was smarter too just spend the money on what I thought was the "best", rather then "the best deal".

On the plastics and other materials, good points. The tool makers and machinists will make things as cheaply or as expensive as one may want. There are so many grades of steel, aluminum, pot metals, titanium, plastics, composites, etc, then you can also factor in the manufacturers specs for these items given to suppliers it can be a HUGE variance.

"Usually", a cheaper car is just that, "cheaper"......Of course we haven't gotten into the difference between a Taiwan or chinese based supplier and a Japanese based one, or a U.S. or Swiss based supplier, etc............. .....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 08-27-2005, 07:12 AM   #87
Tech Fanatic

I think Cen and Thunder tiger do alot of molding for the big companies yet everyone considers them to be low quality and rags on the plastics they use, while they claim great things from mfg's who have the stuff molded from these 2 companies.
DJG24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 08:13 AM   #88
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

DJG24...you race at Wolcott? If so who are ya, lol...pm it if you prefer.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2005, 11:19 AM   #89
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
Derek, true, I did get an early kit, in fact I bought a spare tank made from the earlier material before finding out about the new one, ha. I also noticed the motor mount improvement on the later kits, good move on Ofna/Jammin's part.
I'm not trying to bag too hard on the X1, it's a good car, but some of the things I came across just led me to believe it was smarter too just spend the money on what I thought was the "best", rather then "the best deal".

On the plastics and other materials, good points. The tool makers and machinists will make things as cheaply or as expensive as one may want. There are so many grades of steel, aluminum, pot metals, titanium, plastics, composites, etc, then you can also factor in the manufacturers specs for these items given to suppliers it can be a HUGE variance.

"Usually", a cheaper car is just that, "cheaper"......Of course we haven't gotten into the difference between a Taiwan or chinese based supplier and a Japanese based one, or a U.S. or Swiss based supplier, etc............. .....Jim
Since most of the buggies are from Taiwan the price is probably all about the same cost if you compare plastic to plastic and metal to metal. The Kyosho sold for a lot here but was way cheaper in Japan. Some of us have to realize that the scale of price point is sometimes forced, and isn't about "quality".

A great quote from a company that was talking to me about pricing their product (aluminum aftermarket and probably the same supplier as the more name brand stuff)

We could price our part lower, but then people would perceive them to be crap, even though it's the same as most on the market.

Price isn't always the end all be all. And I'm not saying that the Jammin is the best performing buggy, but it sure is worth that money and for most it will be the best for them.

I think we're talking about similar stuff here. The only thing that bothers me in a thread like this is the assumption because we're a magazine we don't know what we're doing and you shouldn't listen to what we say. The rest of the discussion is fun stuff.
Old 08-27-2005, 12:30 PM   #90
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This discussion seems to be never ending. Derek yall did a great job with the shootout. It sealed my descision with purchasing the Jammin X1. It is worth every penny I paid for it.

Jim-Not starting a fight or anything, but $150 is a lot of money no matter if you pay $1500 or $500 for a buggy setup. The only people that would disagree with me are fat spoiled kids who's parents pay for everything and grown men who do nothing but spend money on RC racing. The money I saved with buying the Jammin is going towards things I need for school and hunting.

Later,
Brady
Brad8283 is offline   Reply With Quote