R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-22-2005, 05:31 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just pulled the front diff and all looks well. I ran about 6 tanks through it yesterday. I think I may have finally gotten that straight. As for the bell cranks, I have a new buggy coming soon. I had high bid ( at less than $320) on a NIB S3 on Ebay last week. Couldn't resist the price.So when I start building that, I will use the stock pieces. I never wanted to use Alum anyway...but that was all my LHS had in stock at the time I broke the original part.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:34 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by windellmc
NitroOB4You - I would suggest using all the plastic servo saver parts. If you use aluminum with the plastic it will end up binding up and you will keep blowing servos.
True but would running a plastic servo arm when running an aluminum servo saver setup work well too? I just got a second hand S3 and i'm in the process of tearing it down, cleaning it up and setting it up for my track. The article in extreme RC was nice but I don't really buy cars based on reviews since they all can be setup to run great or to run like crap. Just depends on your wallet size and patience.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:35 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
I just pulled the front diff and all looks well. I ran about 6 tanks through it yesterday. I think I may have finally gotten that straight. As for the bell cranks, I have a new buggy coming soon. I had high bid ( at less than $320) on a NIB S3 on Ebay last week. Couldn't resist the price.So when I start building that, I will use the stock pieces. I never wanted to use Alum anyway...but that was all my LHS had in stock at the time I broke the original part.

Nitro, if you have any spare bits and pieces you don't need, let me know. Castor clips, gaskets, o rings, etc...
Old 08-22-2005, 06:23 PM   #64
Tech Elite

LMAO!!!

Im not quite ready to part things out...but since you're the first to ask, Ill keep you in mind. With the new kit, I prolly will have extras.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:40 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Quote:
LMAO!!!

Im not quite ready to part things out...but since you're the first to ask, Ill keep you in mind. With the new kit, I prolly will have extras.
Hey it doesn't hurt to ask. I'd pay you of course.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #66
Tech Elite

AWOL....perchance....you anywhere near Martinsville? There's a slim chance me n some friends may come down there over Labor Day W/End for the Modified race. Food for thought
Old 08-22-2005, 07:05 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
AWOL....perchance....you anywhere near Martinsville? There's a slim chance me n some friends may come down there over Labor Day W/End for the Modified race. Food for thought
I live near Harrisonburg which is about 2 hours away from Martinsville. I've only lived in VA for two years though... I'm a yankee born and raised in NY. :P
Old 08-22-2005, 07:12 PM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
AWOLsoldier, Good point, it is usually not a cheap way to do it, but if your patient and make sure you get a good buying price, then you can be ok when you sell. I've only lost about $50 or less each time I changed brands, usually. And this is with a half year or more on each vehicle, not too bad. I keep them in very good shape though. I like to get a feel myself of each car, rather then just saying whats best after only owning a RTR.

As far as being competitive while changing brands, it has not been a problem. I won races with a Hyper 7, #4 regionals with a MBX5, RC Pro east race with a Crono RS01 a couple years ago, I have been in the A mains at races with 100+ 1/8th scale entries when I ran a 7.5 and using the X1cr and i'll do the same with my XB8 now.............luckily setting up an 1/8th scale is easy. Driving without crashing, or being crashed and avoiding problems is the hard part, imo......... , Jim
So in other words, you're a good driver... the chassis doesn't really matter so much.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:15 PM   #69
Tech Elite

I see...so yer a Damned Yankee...that being...a transplant, lol...no worries...while I was raised up here, I lived in TN for 6 years at one point. Now Im back home
Old 08-22-2005, 07:19 PM   #70
Tech Elite

Quote:
I see...so yer a Damned Yankee...that being...a transplant, lol...no worries...while I was raised up here, I lived in TN for 6 years at one point. Now Im back home

If it's any consolation, I'm not from NYC, just upstate. There's hope for me yet.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:49 PM   #71
Tech Rookie

Cannibal Corpse Rulz. I have a picture of Glen Benton of Decide on the front of my Jammin!!
Action Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:19 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
So in other words, you're a good driver... the chassis doesn't really matter so much.

Actually the chassis DOES matter. Whoever thinks you can run the same lap times no matter what car isn't really that good of a driver yet. If car can make you .2 faster a lap because it's better that makes the car better
Old 08-23-2005, 06:57 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Good point, there is a difference, a driver can usually make up for it, but it will depend on the competition that shows up more then what car a certain driver uses. If the competition is tight, then the car will come into play more, as well as preperation, luck, etc....
Also, usually, when one car is "very" good at something, it usually lacks some place else.

For instance a car that is designed for high bite, will usually not produce enough traction to perform well on low traction tracks, etc. Tuning helps, but initial engineering is the biggest factor.
Then there is the price issue, i've had good luck with some less expensive cars and lost races because of little things at odd times, or on other low end cars.

Now that I run the XB8, there isn't much worry about cheap parts breaking and things like that, but they are not afraid to charge for their stuff either, !

Just the same, i've thought after spending about $1500 on a buggy set up, should a racer have a cheaper car to save $150 bucks? I see racers with 3 spare engines and enough parts to biuld another car in their box, not too mention boxes of tires and wheels, etc.........Makes $150 seem like pocket change...., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 07:36 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Quote:
I see racers with 3 spare engines and enough parts to biuld another car in their box, not too mention boxes of tires and wheels, etc.........Makes $150 seem like pocket change...., Jim
lol, Man now I gotta go sell some stuff..
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #75
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Just the same, i've thought after spending about $1500 on a buggy set up, should a racer have a cheaper car to save $150 bucks? I see racers with 3 spare engines and enough parts to biuld another car in their box, not too mention boxes of tires and wheels, etc.........Makes $150 seem like pocket change...., Jim
...which is why price wasn't the biggest factor in our shootout. Excellent point, Jim. Had price been the #1 factor, the Jammin X1CR would have won. The Kyosho was the best overall performer and it took home the 1st place because of the exact reason you list above.
StephenB is offline   Reply With Quote