R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   1/8-Scale Buggy Shootout (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/79099-1-8-scale-buggy-shootout.html)

JusBox 08-19-2005 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by noobie
thats what everyone said about the sp1 and the ttr s3 when they first came out "oh its so fast" "it accelerates better than anything i ever driven" ... i wonder why there are so many near new s3 and sp1 for sale :lol:

It's because people don't spend time with the cars to get the setup right. They bitch and moan when the car doesn't perform the same way as another car so they bad mouth it instead of learning how to tune it.

W.E.D.Jim 08-19-2005 07:53 PM

I know for me it's more about trying different cars. I usually start out with a set up that was successful on a team drivers car and go from there on a new chassis. After a few races I decide if the car will be around for the season or not. I've gone thru a few bucks, but not too bad, since i've done well on my buying and selling prices to keep things within reason.

In the last 3 years i've owned 7 different buggies and 9 different monster trucks. This is not counting my TeamLosi electrics and gas truck vehicles of course........Jim

JusBox 08-19-2005 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I know for me it's more about trying different cars. I usually start out with a set up that was successful on a team drivers car and go from there on a new chassis. After a few races I decide if the car will be around for the season or not. I've gone thru a few bucks, but not too bad, since i've done well on my buying and selling prices to keep things within reason.

In the last 3 years i've owned 7 different buggies and 9 different monster trucks. This is not counting my TeamLosi electrics and gas truck vehicles of course........Jim

I like trying different cars too but it can get expensive and you have to draw the line somewhere if you're on a budget.

noobie 08-19-2005 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by AWOLsoldier
It's because people don't spend time with the cars to get the setup right. They bitch and moan when the car doesn't perform the same way as another car so they bad mouth it instead of learning how to tune it.

yes that why changing cars wont make them a faster driver.... in fact the opposite in most cases.... when people cant win they try blame the car and say its old and outdated.... they keep on going in a circle of upgrading and changing cars and never settle on a setup that suits the car.

also as much as you can setup a car, setups are never perfect, sometimes you have to change your driving style to suit the car and the track, and changing buggies all the time, is like taking a step backwards to try to go two step forward

NitroOB4You 08-20-2005 12:44 AM

Mine aint for sale.......yet

I am happy with my S3. The problems I am having are due more to inexperience than anything else. When it is freshly rebuilt, I have a set up that is working well on my home track. My big issues are that my shocks and diffs are terrible...leak like a sive. I finally found the reason for my shocks was simply because I wasn't bleeding them correctly. As for my diffs...I think I have that straight now...gonna rebuild them one more time later today. I have a club race Sunday and the same track has a trophy race the following Sunday. Depending on how things go with the diffs n shocks, I will decide from there wether or not to try another buggy next summer. If my diffs and shocks stay full/dry, then Im definately keeping my S3 for next summer....if not then Im seriously thinking Prospec. Time will tell.....

JusBox 08-20-2005 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
I am happy with my S3. The problems I am having are due more to inexperience than anything else. When it is freshly rebuilt, I have a set up that is working well on my home track. My big issues are that my shocks and diffs are terrible...leak like a sive. I finally found the reason for my shocks was simply because I wasn't bleeding them correctly. As for my diffs...I think I have that straight now...gonna rebuild them one more time later today. I have a club race Sunday and the same track has a trophy race the following Sunday. Depending on how things go with the diffs n shocks, I will decide from there wether or not to try another buggy next summer. If my diffs and shocks stay full/dry, then Im definately keeping my S3 for next summer....if not then Im seriously thinking Prospec. Time will tell.....

Are you using the small orings in the diff outdrives? Check here to see if you can find some help on this. http://www.rc-racing.com/cgi-bin/bac...howforgotten=0

NitroOB4You 08-20-2005 07:26 AM

O-Rings...

Yeah...AWOL....I just learned about this. I started reading the posts on SGrid (Sorry Mods :P)....earlier this week and learned about the small O-Rings. Im building the diffs now with them. I saw them when I first built the buggy, but there is no mention whatsoever in the manual.

DJG24 08-20-2005 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by noobie
thats what everyone said about the sp1 and the ttr s3 when they first came out "oh its so fast" "it accelerates better than anything i ever driven" ... i wonder why there are so many near new s3 and sp1 for sale :lol:

I'm not going to comment on why people sell the stuff so fast but my statement is true as far as I'm concerned. I dialed my SP1 in with a good setup where i could get it around the track fast, but it was always a tiny too bit loose (just a little, but nothing you couldn't drive) now that I converted the car to the SP2 the longer wheelbase and slightly moved back motor position cured the slight loose condition and made it handle like it's on rails. So yes, I am instantly faster with the SP2 and it is due to the fact that I took the time to find a set up that works for the car.

layedbackguy 08-20-2005 07:44 AM

I run a mbx peospec and it's the best buggy i have ever owned!! but thats just my preference. found this online, hope this helps

http://www.rc411.com/pages/xstream.php

the buggy cage match ;)

JusBox 08-20-2005 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by DJG24
So yes, I am instantly faster with the SP2 and it is due to the fact that I took the time to find a set up that works for the car.

I think this is the most important comment in your post.

W.E.D.Jim 08-20-2005 08:14 AM

AWOLsoldier, Good point, it is usually not a cheap way to do it, but if your patient and make sure you get a good buying price, then you can be ok when you sell. I've only lost about $50 or less each time I changed brands, usually. And this is with a half year or more on each vehicle, not too bad. I keep them in very good shape though. I like to get a feel myself of each car, rather then just saying whats best after only owning a RTR. :)

As far as being competitive while changing brands, it has not been a problem. I won races with a Hyper 7, #4 regionals with a MBX5, RC Pro east race with a Crono RS01 a couple years ago, I have been in the A mains at races with 100+ 1/8th scale entries when I ran a 7.5 and using the X1cr and i'll do the same with my XB8 now.............luckily setting up an 1/8th scale is easy. Driving without crashing, or being crashed and avoiding problems is the hard part, imo......... :D , Jim

better 08-20-2005 10:38 AM

I would like to see the storm cl1 reviewed with the factory team set ups.

NitroOB4You 08-20-2005 12:25 PM

Anyone wanna buy an S3 with a cracked chassis???

:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

Ok...BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...during the rebuild process I am going through today I see that the rear portion of the delta box is cracked in three areas...NOW! I am done!
My future is suddenly becomming clearer....it says Prospec :sneaky:

Sgt_Morrow 08-20-2005 06:14 PM

So does anybody have a good setup for a 777 sp1 and what's a good starting point for the difs.

JusBox 08-20-2005 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by NitroOB4You
:flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming: :flaming:

Ok...BREATHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well...during the rebuild process I am going through today I see that the rear portion of the delta box is cracked in three areas...NOW! I am done!
My future is suddenly becomming clearer....it says Prospec :sneaky:

Send it into Acehobbies, they'll give you a new redesigned chassis.