R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Hello all need help..... (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/790988-hello-all-need-help.html)

qZOMBIEXTUNAp 02-05-2014 05:18 AM

Hello all need help.....

Hello to all,

As it goes I am new to 2wd buggy, not R/C. Been in the game some 20+ years now. I am looking to get into the 2wd buggy class. I am unsure weather RM or MM would be best. One track is indoor small tight high bite and the other is outdoor large carpet. I am looking for some advice on this class as well as recomendations on where to look into. I had the B5 in mind but there is much out there to choose from. Im also looking to keep it to 17.5-13.5 to start with till I really get some wheel time in with the class. Been running 4x4 SC and just started building up my 2wd......Thanks in advance

wittyname 02-05-2014 08:21 AM

Ignore the title , since your not "new" , but there is some very helpful info in this thread .
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html

qZOMBIEXTUNAp 02-05-2014 10:26 AM

Thank you for the response. Though the link is more of a run on 6 page list of 1/10 trucks and buggys. Some good info for some one who is truly new to the game, but really nothing useful toward what Im looking for. However it will help as a finder for kits though......thanks again

wever75 02-05-2014 10:47 AM

Mid motor would have an advantage ONLY if your track is HIGH bite at all times. If its ever a little slippery then the rear motor would be better. The B5 mid motor isn't out yet, and won't be out for a month or so. The kyosho RB6 is a great car and the losi 22 is a mid motor/rear motor. Those are just my 2 favorites but there are many options

wever75 02-05-2014 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by wittyname (Post 12978584)
Ignore the title , since your not "new" , but there is some very helpful info in this thread .
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html

Were did he say anything about being new in the title?

qZOMBIEXTUNAp 02-05-2014 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by wever75 (Post 12979038)
Mid motor would have an advantage ONLY if your track is HIGH bite at all times. If its ever a little slippery then the rear motor would be better. The B5 mid motor isn't out yet, and won't be out for a month or so. The kyosho RB6 is a great car and the losi 22 is a mid motor/rear motor. Those are just my 2 favorites but there are many options

All the times I have been there was a ton of grip. And not like every weekend either. The plan is take the new bug and try to go every weekend. Though I am sure it can't be full bight 100% of the time so that is good to know. Thank you for the info. B5 feb28 B5M mar15. Or so im told lol......

qZOMBIEXTUNAp 02-05-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by wever75 (Post 12979044)

It wasn't in title but first sentence. I said I was new to 2wd buggy but not R/C....

RazzBarlow7 02-05-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by wever75 (Post 12979038)

Not true and debated in multiple threads on RCTech, including one where YOU (wever75) were asking for advice on RM vs MM.

kawi650 02-05-2014 11:01 AM

There were some interviews with the B5 designer when they first announced it and the way he explained RM vs. MM is that it requires a different driving style, not a specific track condition. If you have the driving style for MM, it will be better in all conditions.

Not my opinion, if you don't like it then take it up with the guy why designed the B5.

wever75 02-05-2014 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RazzBarlow7 (Post 12979078)
Not true and debated in multiple threads on RCTech, including one where YOU (wever75) were asking for advice on RM vs MM.

And then it was explained in great detail to me. I got advice from people who have more knowledge than you and i, I'm repeating what he said. And most people say MM is a lot better in high bite conditions than RM, but RM is better in lower bite

RazzBarlow7 02-05-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by wever75 (Post 12979129)
And then it was explained in great detail to me. I got advice from people who have more knowledge than you and i, I'm repeating what he said. And most people say MM is a lot better in high bite conditions than RM, but RM is better in lower bite

So, in 3 days you've become an expert enough to make a strong statement like:

Originally Posted by wever75
Mid motor would have an advantage ONLY if your track is HIGH bite at all times. If its ever a little slippery then the rear motor would be better.

"Most people saying" something doesn't make it right. Talk to the designers of the B5M or the X-Factory X-6 and they'll both tell you the same thing. They believe that MM has an inherent advantage under all traction conditions. I don't know much about the B5M designer, but Paul Sinclair (Designer of X-6) has a Master's degree in engineering.

The rest of what you're about to read is MY opinion. I think a lot of people here keep repeating the "MM only works better in high-traction" because they read someone else saying it. I think that once more and more people drive their MM cars on varying track conditions and refine the tuning and setup, the MM car will continue to improve. The RM configuration came about because of the size of the battery packs at the time. Now that lipo tech has brought more compact batteries, it allows more room for a MM chassis. RM has almost 30 years of refinement and fine tuning.

I think someone who is just starting out and has never driven 1/10 2WD buggy has an inherent advantage. They can learn to drive MM without ever having to unlearn RM habits.

wever75 02-05-2014 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RazzBarlow7 (Post 12979189)
So, in 3 days you've become an expert enough to make a strong statement like:

"Most people saying" something doesn't make it right. Talk to the designers of the B5M or the X-Factory X-6 and they'll both tell you the same thing. They believe that MM has an inherent advantage under all traction conditions. I don't know much about the B5M designer, but Paul Sinclair (Designer of X-6) has a Master's degree in engineering.

The rest of what you're about to read is MY opinion. I think a lot of people here keep repeating the "MM only works better in high-traction" because they read someone else saying it. I think that once more and more people drive their MM cars on varying track conditions and refine the tuning and setup, the MM car will continue to improve. The RM configuration came about because of the size of the battery packs at the time. Now that lipo tech has brought more compact batteries, it allows more room for a MM chassis. RM has almost 30 years of refinement and fine tuning.

I think someone who is just starting out and has never driven 1/10 2WD buggy has an inherent advantage. They can learn to drive MM without ever having to unlearn RM habits.

I'm not saying im an expert, I'm repeating what the experts said :nod: , argue with them not me

Cpt.America 02-05-2014 11:43 AM

it's not just low bite or high bite... it also has a lot do with the track layout. If you have a track that is free flowing and fast, with no 180s... even a MM car will run well on low bite.

If you hvae a low bite track that has a lot of tight 180s with small run-ups to jumps that require you pin the throttle hard out of a corner... MM won't work at all, you will need to run a RM car.

On the other end of that coin.. if you have a high bite track that is layed out fast, with no 180s.. etc... a MM car will dominate.

Traction level and layout determine which car will likely produce the best lap times. So this isn't a question that can actually be answered in a thread like this, because it depends on all of these factors determined by where you are running.

wittyname 02-05-2014 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by wever75 (Post 12979044)

Actually I was referring to the first word in the title to the thread I posted the link to . fwiw

wever75 02-05-2014 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by wittyname (Post 12979241)
Actually I was referring to the first word in the title to the thread I posted the link to . fwiw

Oh, it see :)