Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series >

HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series

Like Tree17Likes

HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series

Old 02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

i am currently wrapping the towers in a thin layer of woven fiberglass to add some thickness. i measured the stock towers to be 3mm. my carbon fiber towers after sanding were 2.45mm (originally 2.65mm) and i know the fiberglass will add around 0.3mm to each side so this should leave a little room for sanding. *my measurements are approximate from a set of digital calibers.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looking good, should be a completely different animal! Love your work with the shock towers and top plate.

The stock battery box/rx box would probably be a tad cumbersome for racing, I always thought I could save a bunch of weight in that area, by switching to a tray/straps. Anyway, glad to see it moving right along....have you settled on a motor/esc/battery setup?
Old 02-12-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tman4wdr View Post
Looking good, should be a completely different animal! Love your work with the shock towers and top plate.

The stock battery box/rx box would probably be a tad cumbersome for racing, I always thought I could save a bunch of weight in that area, by switching to a tray/straps. Anyway, glad to see it moving right along....have you settled on a motor/esc/battery setup?
thanks for the feedback ill post a pick of what i did to the battery tray. i wont be able to figure out electronic placement untill i get it running and do some testing but the new top plate will certainly help with that.

Last edited by awpldlto; 02-12-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Default Battery tray mod

this is what i did to make battery access easier. i cut out the side of the battery tray where the receiver box was and made it flush with the other wall. i used the top of the receiver box for that piece. just using cable ties for now to hold in the battery but will get nicer straps. the ties run around the back under and through the battery tray toward the front side that i cut out. the reciever box has been cut down to fit a plate for an esc or receiver.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-batt-tray.jpg  

Last edited by awpldlto; 02-16-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Default Notes on cutting carbon fiber

-use a jigsaw, hacksaw, and or dremel for rough cut
-make sure you are using a blade meant for cutting metal
-when using a jigsaw cut a good 2mm away from the final line you desire. the jigsaw can split the layers apart
-i use an all purpose file and a set of small fine files to make the final shape
-cut outside or in a well ventilated area.
-when sanding, cutting, filing, make sure you wear a breathing mask and goggles. the powder is very fine and becomes airborne easily you dont want to breath it in.
-wear gloves it can irritate the skin
-never touch your eye after shaping the carbon fiber
-drill slowly using a bit able to drill through metal
-put a piece of wood under the carbon fiber. (if space is left under cf the back layers can split)
Old 02-13-2014, 08:59 AM
Tech Adept

Default towers done

here are the towers and shocks all mounted up. i may thicken them later (at least the rear one). with all the snow ive had a lot of time to work on this. i should be able to finish most of this in the next week or so.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-twrs-plt.jpg   HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-overall.jpg  
We Are Ninja likes this.

Last edited by awpldlto; 02-16-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Default GPM 12mm hex adapters

nice hex adapters off ebay for $10. they are the clamping type. the bullet uses 14mm hex but these bring it to a 12mm without losing any width.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-hex.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Adept

Default wheels

these are just temporary wheels and tires. they are HSP tires and rims bought off ebay for $20 (complete set) unmounted. they look like knock-off traxxas talon tires. not sure why you would rip off such a terrible design but ill just use these for bashing. they were the only thing close enough to the dimensions i desired. If you have a good suggestion for wheels and tires let me know. im looking for something 110mm-125mm in total diameter and around 60mm width (dimensions of tire not rim)
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-wheel.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Default Paint prep.

hoboa body is ready for paint. ill be using red and black Rustoleum plastic paint i got from Home Depot because like i said im on a budget and dont have funds to spray with some $10 lexan paint. ive used this stuff before on numerous rcs and it holds up just fine.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-paintprep.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

Default body mounts

just a bent piece of lexan that i will attach velcro to.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-bodymont-frnt.jpg   HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-body-mont.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Tech Adept

Default paint!!!

very lazy paint job but it came out very nice
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-paint.jpg  
Old 02-15-2014, 09:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Wow, you definitely move fast! I like what you've done with the cf and battery box. The shocks look awesome, too.

Is this going to be a 3s or 2s rig?
Old 02-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Tech Adept

thanks i have even more pictures that ill post in like 5 min a photo album will be coming shortly. all the snow up here in nj kept me indoors and working on this thing.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Default rear top plate

finished that rear section of top plate. it was a pain due to the extra bend i had to inject resin with a syringe in some areas. its not pretty but idc, it will function.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-plate-resize.jpg  

Last edited by awpldlto; 02-16-2014 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-15-2014, 10:07 AM
Tech Adept

Default this is pretty much done

only thing left is electronic placement, shimming (lots of play especially in knucles), and velcro. let me know if you want any pics of that because i dont want to bother anyone with the boring stuff. here is also a pic of it next to my truggy converted Losi Mini 8ight.
Attached Thumbnails HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-done-resize.jpg   HPI bullet to race truggy (10tt) conversion series-losi-hpi-resize.jpg  
We Are Ninja likes this.

Last edited by awpldlto; 02-16-2014 at 06:36 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.