Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Serpent Spyder SRX2 SCT Thread >

Serpent Spyder SRX2 SCT Thread

Like Tree11Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX2 SCT Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 10:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Umm... Bodies only crack if you crash. All ya gotta do is not crash. Lol. I'm running a Pro Line body currently until the stock body gets painted. The body mounts were really close to my old Durango, close enough to just flex the posts a mm or so.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

SCT is still very much a glorified bash at my club. Not hitting things is doable, avoiding other racers (bashers) is not so straightforward.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LaserPimp
Bye bye Losi, hello Serpent! Ordered mine today, should look nice next to the buggy.

What are people's thoughts on the body? It looks nice, but is performance up there with bodies like the proline evo?
Hey Laser Pimp why cant you wait on November $339. lol I think there will be a bunch of people very intrigued with the Spyder SrX 2
Old 07-16-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jonny5
I built a few MM cars with that servo but I don't recall how many spacers were used... You want the servo just far forward enough so that the horn clears the post on the right of the chassis where the top plate screws in.
thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

any one know when 2nd batch coming in? on the list for a-main. got credit coming will be a great deal..
Old 07-17-2014, 06:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Guys at Hot Rod Shoot Out are already running converted SC's to ST's. I cant wait to run truck again!
Old 07-17-2014, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

How many run theirs in the stock 17.5 class? What kind of gearing for a good start? Thinking maybe 76/25. I don't see a 75 spur and that's what I used in my Losi and Associated vehicles.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Keith B
Hey Laser Pimp why cant you wait on November $339. lol I think there will be a bunch of people very intrigued with the Spyder SrX 2
The Losi is a good car, it's just frustrating that you have to invest so much in it to make it work (time and money). I kept my original 22sct for the girlfriend, it's practically a 2.0 already.

I'm confident that the Serpent will be much better for my track (low traction, bumpy dirt), less weight, more flex, better weight distribution and most of the tuning options out of the box. The 22sct 2.0 is simply a revision, the srx-2 is next gen
Old 07-17-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Originally Posted by elex300
Guys at Hot Rod Shoot Out are already running converted SC's to ST's. I cant wait to run truck again!
What is all needed to convert it to stadium? Isn't sc chassis's longer than stadium?
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Figured I would give some thoughts on the build and initial runs. I am by no means a pro racer but have spent a lot of time tuning on my two 22scts over the last year.

Build pros: Straight forward, good pictures and bags layed out well. Fairly quick build.
Build cons: No tools or thread lock. Not a deal breaker but 4.5mm is not a tool everyone has on hand. As is a 3mm wrench for the turnbuckles. No shock tools. Had to use wrench with a towel. Diff silicone had leaked out and was gone. Luckily I had some otherwise would not have been able to finish the kit. I posted earlier about the shock oil coming with CST 500 but the setup sheet says PT400??? I used 32.5 AE Oil. No indication in the instructions to make sure all turnbuckles have notch facing left. This is how my 22 was so I did the same. Nice to have captured ends on the turnbuckles but those 4.5mm nuts are a pain. Should have a allen opening in the end. Screws under the rear shock tower. What were they thinking??!! You have to use an L allen to access them. Air guards not pre-drilled. Screws on air guards are not flush. Rear bumper ends rub on body (I used a dremel to cut them down).

OK I know this sounds like it was an awful build. It wasn't. But there is a LOT of improvement I think they could make.

First run (very bumpy, dusty track) - First put my tekin RS Gen2 and 17.5 (78/26) to get baseline to my 22. Air guards not installed and used TLR body fully cut out. OMG!!! It was as fast as my 22 on the first pack. Balanced, good traction, comparable steering. Unfortunately I noticed the steering links were all loose. USE THREAD LOCK ON ALL FOUR STEERING LINK SCREWS. Not sure why the manual doesn't show this, but it obviously needs it. 1st run cut short...
2nd run (still with 17.5) with painted serpent body (no cut outs) and air guards installed. Not very windy but with any wind under it was like a sail. Making lots of noise to. Pulled in after 2 laps. Realized noise likely coming from rubbing on rear bumper even though mounts were in good position with no wheel rubbing. Obviously this body needs some holes. Went back to TLR body. Awesome! Very happy. Really couldn't think of anything I wanted to change or adjust.

Decided I was going to put the Orion R10 and 13.5 to see how that would go. As I started to work on it, I noticed the rear wheels were making a squeaking noise when turned. Thought it was the diff so tore the back end apart. Come to find out it was the bearings inside the diff housing that was making some noise and bearing (same size) on the inside of the hubs making the rest. I wouldn't say they were shot, but not smooth and will need to be replaced. NOT good for 3 packs.

Overall I have a love hate relationship with this kit. Hopefully I can get a few things sorted and it will be smooth sailing.

Sorry for being long winded but I have spent a lot of time with this kit in a week and wanted to share in case some of this helps anyone out.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana
What is all needed to convert it to stadium? Isn't sc chassis's longer than stadium?
Yes the SC chassis is too long. What you can do is use the rm buggy chassis and mount the T-plate back exactly 8mm. This will leave a gap between the chassis and rear shock tower so you will need to fabricate a small plate to fasten them back together.The buggy wing mounts serve as rear body mounts. You can install T4.1/2 front body mounts on the front. Use the same rear motor guard as the rm buggy uses also. For wheels you can use T4.1/2 wheels.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JasonLee
How many run theirs in the stock 17.5 class? What kind of gearing for a good start? Thinking maybe 76/25. I don't see a 75 spur and that's what I used in my Losi and Associated vehicles.
Depends on the track size, 76/25 is close to the FDR that I use for a 17.5 starting point on a new motor. What motor? That makes a big difference too.
Old 07-18-2014, 05:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jonny5
Depends on the track size, 76/25 is close to the FDR that I use for a 17.5 starting point on a new motor. What motor? That makes a big difference too.
Novak Ballistic.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Looking for suggestions on a motor/ESC combo for this kit. I plan on running 17.5t stock class at my local track. Just getting back into the hobby and want to keep it fairly simple. Here is what I've found online.

hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-js5.html

What do you guys think of that combo?
Old 07-18-2014, 06:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by JasonLee
Novak Ballistic.
I'd start 2 teeth lower at 76/23. My baseline is using a 12.5 HT rotor, to my knowledge the Novak doesn't come with one.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.