Like Tree11Likes

Serpent Spyder SRX2 SCT Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 07:02 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bubbaslash
I think you're going to like it. Good multi-surface truck. Steering like a mid-motor, traction like a rear-motor. All the guys in my area are even running the gear diff outdoors and they still put the power down. No tuning required as the track dries out.
What kinda of shock oils and pistons are you guys running? I will be running on a nice sized 1/10th outdoor track with average sized jumps. Do you run the side panels on the truck as I was thinking of taking those off and save the weight.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
What kinda of shock oils and pistons are you guys running? I will be running on a nice sized 1/10th outdoor track with average sized jumps. Do you run the side panels on the truck as I was thinking of taking those off and save the weight.
We don't run Serpent, we just try to catch em lol. All the guys around here are keeping the mud guards on, they keep most of the air out of the body so they fly pretty well outdoors. The panels are lexan, so unless you delete the nerfs that hold them in place, you're not going to save much weight. I think everyone around here is running pretty close to the Chris Young setup on the website.
wyd likes this.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:39 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trucks about 95% ready to run so tomorrow after I take my granddaughter to a kids trout derby I wil load up and take the truck to my local track and try it out. I did a few laps at are indoor track and it jumps awesome and lands just as nice. Be interesting to see what it really can do when I'm on the outdoor track.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:51 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

What a crazy day of racing with my new Serpent SC. Showed up with only one set of M3 Holeshots to race with as that's the only tires I had for SC. I went out for practice and have to say the truck was terrible with about zero traction. 1st heat I missed as my radio batteries went bad. 2nd round I borrowed some SS Gridirons and was mid pack. 3rd round I ran Holeshot M4 rears and some Proline Slicer fronts all borrowed from friends and qualified 3rd. In the main I switched again to M4 Blockades and J Concepts Carvers. Followed 1st and 2nd for the first two and laps and then 2nd made a mistake and I went by. I jut stayed smooth and ran down 1st place and made a clean pass and pulled away and won going away by about 5 seconds. I have a few changes and to make next time I run the truck (especially my gearing as I'm still running about 170ish degrees after 8 minute race) and will get some better tires which I got the Carver fronts last night and just need rears. I think I want to go from the front green springs down to a little softer spring. First time in SC in 4 years and with a new to me truck and never running Serpent before so couldn't be any happier.
Old 05-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd
What a crazy day of racing with my new Serpent SC. Showed up with only one set of M3 Holeshots to race with as that's the only tires I had for SC. I went out for practice and have to say the truck was terrible with about zero traction. 1st heat I missed as my radio batteries went bad. 2nd round I borrowed some SS Gridirons and was mid pack. 3rd round I ran Holeshot M4 rears and some Proline Slicer fronts all borrowed from friends and qualified 3rd. In the main I switched again to M4 Blockades and J Concepts Carvers. Followed 1st and 2nd for the first two and laps and then 2nd made a mistake and I went by. I jut stayed smooth and ran down 1st place and made a clean pass and pulled away and won going away by about 5 seconds. I have a few changes and to make next time I run the truck (especially my gearing as I'm still running about 170ish degrees after 8 minute race) and will get some better tires which I got the Carver fronts last night and just need rears. I think I want to go from the front green springs down to a little softer spring. First time in SC in 4 years and with a new to me truck and never running Serpent before so couldn't be any happier.
Sounds like you're off to a good start. Glad to hear it's working for you.
wyd likes this.
Old 05-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wyd
I take it you're running the kit, not the RTR? How does the truck drive compared to other 2wd trucks you've driven, i.e.STRC Slash, etc?
Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by MaX-D
I take it you're running the kit, not the RTR? How does the truck drive compared to other 2wd trucks you've driven, i.e.STRC Slash, etc?
Yes the used one I bought is the Kit Version. With the one weekend of racing on it the truck is lighter and jumps nicer than my decked out Slash trucks which I expected. With the right tires on the truck works very well and was very easy for me to drive and especially since I didn't do any serious racing an SC in a few years. Overall at this time I do like the truck. Once thing it has the optional gear diff which did not present any issues for the local outdoor track I ran on. Not sure if I will buy a diff as long as the truck does what I want it to do I won't change it out. Big thing is I don't have any good tires so I borrowed stuff all weekend. Be interested in seeing how it works now with new tires and I hope the right compound combination. If it don't rain out Friday I will be racing it again so will post how it goes.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd
Yes the used one I bought is the Kit Version. With the one weekend of racing on it the truck is lighter and jumps nicer than my decked out Slash trucks which I expected. With the right tires on the truck works very well and was very easy for me to drive and especially since I didn't do any serious racing an SC in a few years. Overall at this time I do like the truck. Once thing it has the optional gear diff which did not present any issues for the local outdoor track I ran on. Not sure if I will buy a diff as long as the truck does what I want it to do I won't change it out. Big thing is I don't have any good tires so I borrowed stuff all weekend. Be interested in seeing how it works now with new tires and I hope the right compound combination. If it don't rain out Friday I will be racing it again so will post how it goes.
The guys around here are running the gear diffs indoor and outdoor with 5k or 7k oil and winning with them. Low maintenance and they don't leak. Fortunately, these trucks run a Losi/Tekno offset, so you have a variety of wheel options to choose from when you start gluing tires up. Plus, AKA makes premounts of every SCT tire they make. Sometimes it's cheaper going that route.
Old 05-27-2017, 03:52 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

2nd weekend out on the truck and it was pretty good overall. The new rear JC Subcultures worked good til the main as the track had a lot of rain and was very damp for the A main. The Subcultures where a little loose so if I had some JC BarCodes I would of been totally dialed for the main so I have some on order and will be good to go next time I can run my truck. I did make a front camber change and made it a little longer by moving to the outer hole on the caster block. I like this change so will keep it for now. Overall other than wrong rear tire for the main the truck was good again this weekend on totally different track conditions so very happy overall with my truck.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd
Overall other than wrong rear tire for the main the truck was good again this weekend on totally different track conditions so very happy overall with my truck.
That's what our Serpent friends like about the truck...its versatility on varied track conditions. Did you start out with Chris's setup?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:48 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

That's what our Serpent friends like about the truck...its versatility on varied track conditions. Did you start out with Chris's setup?
No I didn't try his setup but I did take a look at it and the track I'm running at is noteven close at least description wise much different than what he setup his truck for. My home outdoor track is medium traction and bumpy vs his indoor track is tight and high traction and smooth. Not sure his setup would work well on the track that I'm at. I think for me it was totally tires and nothing else as even as loose s I was my fast lap was only 2 tenths off the fast lap and I was all over in the rear of the truck so when my new tires get here I should be fine.

Last edited by wyd; 05-30-2017 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-30-2017, 11:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wyd
No I didn't try his setup but I did take a look at it and the track I'm running out not is at least description wise much different than what he setup his truck for. My home outdoor track is medium traction and bumpy vs his indoor track is tight and high traction and smooth. Not sure his setup would work well on the track that I'm at. I think for me it was totally tires and nothing else as even as loose s I was my fast lap was only 2 tenths off the fast lap and I was all over in the rear of the truck so when my new tires get here I should be fine.
My bad...I looked and his outdoor setup wasn't listed. Just his indoor setup. Sparks Park is very high grip. Just the opposite of what you're running on. Oops!
Old 05-30-2017, 05:33 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

My bad...I looked and his outdoor setup wasn't listed. Just his indoor setup. Sparks Park is very high grip. Just the opposite of what you're running on. Oops!
Not a big deal. When I get back from a little mini vacation this weekend I will tear into the truck a little more and see where everything is set at.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:53 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Been working with my truck for 3 races now since I bought it used and it is getting better. I found the right tire combination now for the track conditions and for when they change. Now I need to dial in the shock oils a little bit better as it bounces a little more than I would like in the really rough area on the track. Right now I have 37 1/2 with the stock pistons and 32 1/2 stock pistons in the rear. I had Green Serpent springs in the front and the blue Serpent springs in the rear. Anyone have maybe a smoother shock combo? Not really any huge jumps at the outdoor track I run at. Overall I'm very pleased with the Serpent SC and overall quality of the truck.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:26 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Won't have a chance to run my truck this weekend but I did order some new pistons from RC Shox so will get those put in and change the oils a little lighter for my home track and see what happens next time I take it to the track. Think I will have a new body for it as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.