Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
best 1/8 buggy for rough tracks? >

best 1/8 buggy for rough tracks?

best 1/8 buggy for rough tracks?

Reply

Old 01-29-2014, 07:18 AM
  #46  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (77)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,190
Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
is there any advantage running pivot ball suspensions rather than c-hubs in rough conditions? what would be the most appropriate?
The reactive/variable caster is the real opportunity of running pivot ball. Conventional setup (and stock I believe) has the upper/inner hinge pin at a slightly shallower angle than the lower one so it has less caster when the suspension is compressed for corner entry but more caster at extension for stability and on throttle steering. I actually removed this on my old MBX5 and preferred it but I left it on the MBX6.

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
that's good to know! is there any situation where you prefered stock pistons over the csi?
Also interested to hear about this. When these pistons came out I couldn't see any reason why they'd work better but I continue to hear positive reviews.
Davidka is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:47 AM
  #47  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
The reactive/variable caster is the real opportunity of running pivot ball. Conventional setup (and stock I believe) has the upper/inner hinge pin at a slightly shallower angle than the lower one so it has less caster when the suspension is compressed for corner entry but more caster at extension for stability and on throttle steering. I actually removed this on my old MBX5 and preferred it but I left it on the MBX6.



Also interested to hear about this. When these pistons came out I couldn't see any reason why they'd work better but I continue to hear positive reviews.
I have to say I was quite impressed with the csi blue when I first tried them on the JQ. Traction was improved drastically as well as the handling in the bumps. It lacked pack on big jumps but as I said earlier this is no issue on local tracks because there are so few of them. The buggy seemed to float on the bumps and not follow the terrain
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:18 AM
  #48  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,127
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
I have to say I was quite impressed with the csi blue when I first tried them on the JQ. Traction was improved drastically as well as the handling in the bumps. It lacked pack on big jumps but as I said earlier this is no issue on local tracks because there are so few of them. The buggy seemed to float on the bumps and not follow the terrain
I recently started using the CSI blue and I like them a lot.
blade329 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:40 AM
  #49  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
I recently started using the CSI blue and I like them a lot.
on the x6 eco? the v3 version?
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:20 AM
  #50  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,127
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Pulse_ View Post
on the x6 eco? the v3 version?
The MBX6 ECO. Its the latest version of them.

Last edited by blade329; 01-30-2014 at 08:11 AM.
blade329 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
  #51  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

The V1 ones are basicly the same as the V2's, but with a little smaller holes because the V1's required oils between 1000 and 2000cts.

The V port's, have 2 tapered slots in them which looks like a V.

I run the V2's blue on bumpy high grip astro tracks. They have less pack and make the car feel lazy and numb. This helps a lot with traction rolling.
I also tried the black ones but they have a lot of pack and in slow sections I feel underdamped with them and in high speed sections they feel overdamped. But they work really on big jumps and smooth tracks. But not on the bumpy astrotracks we have over here.

The blue V ports offer more pack and make the car more reactive than the blue V2's. The car changes directions quicker but on bumpy high grip astro, they can make the car a little nervous causing it to traction roll. They are my favorite pistons for astro (no super bumpy) and clay.

The stock pistons also work well, but I feel the CSI pistons settle the car a little faster after a jump.

I've never tried the red CSI pistons because I don't have any oils higher than 800cts. Maybe 700 would still work in them since 650/600 is my base for the blue pistons on normal tracks during the summer (18-20C).
morgoth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:40 AM
  #52  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by morgoth View Post
The V1 ones are basicly the same as the V2's, but with a little smaller holes because the V1's required oils between 1000 and 2000cts.

The V port's, have 2 tapered slots in them which looks like a V.

I run the V2's blue on bumpy high grip astro tracks. They have less pack and make the car feel lazy and numb. This helps a lot with traction rolling.
I also tried the black ones but they have a lot of pack and in slow sections I feel underdamped with them and in high speed sections they feel overdamped. But they work really on big jumps and smooth tracks. But not on the bumpy astrotracks we have over here.

The blue V ports offer more pack and make the car more reactive than the blue V2's. The car changes directions quicker but on bumpy high grip astro, they can make the car a little nervous causing it to traction roll. They are my favorite pistons for astro (no super bumpy) and clay.

The stock pistons also work well, but I feel the CSI pistons settle the car a little faster after a jump.

I've never tried the red CSI pistons because I don't have any oils higher than 800cts. Maybe 700 would still work in them since 650/600 is my base for the blue pistons on normal tracks during the summer (18-20C).
you did quite a few testings, thanks for sharing

how are the blue vport on bumpy clay tracks?

these are the recommended oils for the red pistons on the mugen (mbx6)
Red: Front - 60wt TL Oil / Rear - 55/50wt TL Oil

I noticed a funny thing though:


Losi silicone oil measured with Rheometer
15-12-2005
rating cSt
15 110
17.5 158
20 243
22.5 243
25 294
27.5 345
30 381
32.5 397
35 459
37.5 477
40 546
45 657
50 886
60 844

70 970

the same error appears on all Losi oil conversion charts, at least if it's an error

edit: I'm not the only one confused
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...50-weight.html
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:59 AM
  #53  
Tech Elite
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 4,354
Default

I only use AE and Losi shock oil in a pinch. They're going down the same road as Ofna. If you buy a bottle of their oil every other month and test it, It'll be different every month.

And I already fly through shock oil due to constant Ohio weather changes. It's already annoyingly expensive without the oil shmucks putting the wrong oil in the bottles.

I only use PTRC now. 50 cst difference is actually noticeable, and I ain't even any kind of wonder-pro (yet).
Zerodefect is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 11:15 AM
  #54  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
I only use AE and Losi shock oil in a pinch. They're going down the same road as Ofna. If you buy a bottle of their oil every other month and test it, It'll be different every month.

And I already fly through shock oil due to constant Ohio weather changes. It's already annoyingly expensive without the oil shmucks putting the wrong oil in the bottles.

I only use PTRC now. 50 cst difference is actually noticeable, and I ain't even any kind of wonder-pro (yet).
I dream of shocks not using oils

coming back from PTRC website they do have distributors in Europe, but none of them have the brand in stock.. I think I'll have to stick with Losi
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 04:16 PM
  #55  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 842
Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)
Default

I had a mbx6 eco and I drove on a pretty blown out track and after I switched to the csi blue v port pistons the car got so much better. More traction, better through the bumps and it was more stable. I recently got a mp9e and im having trouble getting it to feel better than the mbx6 eco. With a few setup changes though I think I will like the mp9e better though. Good choice getting the mbx6 though. Its the best car ive driven to this day besides the kyosho. For sure try the csi blue v port pistons though. It made it feel like a whole new car. I messed with oils and went back to what it says to use. 50/45 felt the best.
charlesandstuff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:35 AM
  #56  
Tech Elite
 
morgoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Belgium
Posts: 2,518
Default

I'm using Tourex oils. And I'm very happy with them. 50cts is a changed and they are consistent imo. Before I used Tourex oils, I was using the Mugen oils. The quality is also top notch, but they are kinda expensive.

I race together with the guys from TW8F and if they want to measure the Tourex oils, I'll hand them over a full range of shock oils.

I stopped using Losi because it isn't linear at all.
morgoth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:25 AM
  #57  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

@charlesandstuff: this is really good to know, thanks for your feedback! I'm hesitating between red and blue vport pistons though considering reds are supposed to be better for rough tracks.. morgoth had more side grip also on astro with the vport blue compared with the v2 blue which can end up with grip rolls

I asked the question to Eric Wise from CSI for the x6 Eco in rough conditions and he adviced:
CSI Squared V-Port (Red) Front: 700/650 Rear:650/600

As for the MP9E, we chose the Mugen because it was incredibly cheap and is supposed to be more durable than the Kyosho car. Parts are also easier to find here. But one day I'll buy a MP9 for sure if I find a good occasion.

@ morgoth: Tourex sells oils? I knew about their motor mounts and option parts but not about oils! where do you buy them?
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 04:28 AM
  #58  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (37)
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 842
Trader Rating: 37 (97%+)
Default

I got the blue because that was the most popular but if your track is abnormally bumpy then give the red v port pistons a try.
charlesandstuff is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:46 AM
  #59  
Tech Champion
Thread Starter
 
Pulse_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Brussels, Belgium
Posts: 5,081
Default

Originally Posted by charlesandstuff View Post
I got the blue because that was the most popular but if your track is abnormally bumpy then give the red v port pistons a try.
I will

anybody knows if the body from the x7 eco fits the x6 eco?
Pulse_ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:51 PM
  #60  
Moderator
iTrader: (127)
 
badaml's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mountain Home,TX
Posts: 2,666
Trader Rating: 127 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
Whasssssup, Vasquez?

I would have to give the nod to the Ve8 as my favorite rough track buggy. Unfortunately, it's been discontinued. At first, I wasn't happy with the MBX6 in rough conditions. Some tuning and CSI pistons changed my opinion. Now I think it's great.
I still see it as a current kit. What makes you say it is discontinued?
badaml is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service