Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
cut gears in stock class??? >

cut gears in stock class???

cut gears in stock class???

Old 01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Thats Speedy too, has been doin it for the oval guys for a long time.

Old 01-23-2014, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

so i just checked out that speed racing products and they really dont have much for the 22 2.0 actually they have nothing if some one could point me in the right direction it sounds like i need to drop about 200.00 into my trany to have a chance at a big race
Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Why do you need to drop $200? I did mine with a dremel.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DG Designs
Why do you need to drop $200? I did mine with a dremel.
me and my dremel have issues
Old 01-23-2014, 10:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I believe 17.5 is n awesome starting out point for new racers. Shared my thoughts on cut gears and 17.5 motors here: http://onthetone.blogspot.com/
Old 01-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tommy911t
I believe 17.5 is n awesome starting out point for new racers. Shared my thoughts on cut gears and 17.5 motors here: http://onthetone.blogspot.com/
THIS! Great read!
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

I would e-mail Ray at Speedy's and see if he wants to try it? I sent him a couple of e-mails and he responds quickly. I have the eliminator here in front of me and it looks very nice. No burrs and he ships quick. Of course I live in Ohio so it comes quicker for me.
Blake
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

http://www.exotekracing.com/b4-t4-sc...spur-gear-hub/

I have the Speedy's and the Speedtech slipper eliminator. I wasn't too impressed with the Speedy's, and was ok with the Speedtech part. The exotek part *should* be high quality. I'll know in a few days

Last edited by RCBuddha; 01-23-2014 at 11:49 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

Only takes a few minutes to put it on.
Attached Thumbnails cut gears in stock class???-image.jpg  
Old 01-23-2014, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wisconsinbasher
so i just checked out that speed racing products and they really dont have much for the 22 2.0 actually they have nothing if some one could point me in the right direction it sounds like i need to drop about 200.00 into my trany to have a chance at a big race
You absolutely DO NOT need any of this to have a chance at a big race! Having a decent motor and a good lipo mean way more. None of this matters if you clip 1 pipe in your qualifier!

I had all this stuff in the past back in the brushed/Nimh or even nicad days. With all of if together, slipper eliminator, alum topshaft, cut gears, lightened out drives, alum cvd's... I could feel a difference in acceleration of course. It wasn't something so drastic that it meant you couldn't make the A main at a big race. This is still offroad! Driving still matters more!
Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

+1
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

What I really wonder is if these gears will hold well in a mod motor I'd like to run the motor a little cooler

edit- I have too many problems creating walls of text. I fixed it for you
Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
You absolutely DO NOT need any of this to have a chance at a big race! Having a decent motor and a good lipo mean way more. None of this matters if you clip 1 pipe in your qualifier!

I had all this stuff in the past back in the brushed/Nimh or even nicad days. With all of if together, slipper eliminator, alum topshaft, cut gears, lightened out drives, alum cvd's... I could feel a difference in acceleration of course. It wasn't something so drastic that it meant you couldn't make the A main at a big race. This is still offroad! Driving still matters more!
People complain about how stock is now. LOL! Sounds like you can relate.

10 years ago i was rebuilding and putting my stock motor on a lathe after every run at big races, shaping brushes, water dipping breakin, direct wired batteries soldered into the car for every run to eliminate connector resistance. Lightened components, even tire and foam selection was partly based on rotating mass. Lightening tires and re-balancing them is NOT fun! cycling batteries on our $400 chargers, and having 8-10 packs of Nimh batteries (at ~$75 a pack, and you still had to assemble them) since the process between charges was exhaustive to keep the Ir low and the voltage high.

all this and i still missed a State championship by .2 secs.....

Stock hasn't really changed, if anything it is MORE fair and cheaper than it used to be. You guys that have only been in this a few years really have NO idea.

Stock being for new racers is a bit of a misnomer, it is a good class to start in, but by the time your skills develop enough to compete, either move on to mod, or do what is needed to compete.

Still comes down to driving though, if you need to be marshaled, all that $$ spent on making your car faster will still keep you behind the guy who does it clean.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aeRayls

For me it's not so much of trying to be faster but the need to be tinkering. Since switching from bashing and hop ups to racing I still have the itch to be constantly adding on or redoing my cars so for me it's more about just finding the next project. And thanks too every one for the great feedback.

I do agree with some of the statements on hear stock class buggy racing shuld be more considerd as an entry level event geard twords new comers I think my first time racing stock buggy I got laped about five times by a local fast guy I have since cut that down to one it's veery discouraging at first but I realised it's not how shiny my car is it's how I get it around the track and how it handles going around the track. I owe a lot of that improvement to this site and the fellow racers who are willing to share some of that vast rc nolege. Big thanks to tech.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DsWright
People complain about how stock is now. LOL! Sounds like you can relate.

10 years ago i was rebuilding and putting my stock motor on a lathe after every run at big races, shaping brushes, water dipping breakin, direct wired batteries soldered into the car for every run to eliminate connector resistance. Lightened components, even tire and foam selection was partly based on rotating mass. Lightening tires and re-balancing them is NOT fun! cycling batteries on our $400 chargers, and having 8-10 packs of Nimh batteries (at ~$75 a pack, and you still had to assemble them) since the process between charges was exhaustive to keep the Ir low and the voltage high.

all this and i still missed a State championship by .2 secs.....

Stock hasn't really changed, if anything it is MORE fair and cheaper than it used to be. You guys that have only been in this a few years really have NO idea.

Stock being for new racers is a bit of a misnomer, it is a good class to start in, but by the time your skills develop enough to compete, either move on to mod, or do what is needed to compete.

Still comes down to driving though, if you need to be marshaled, all that $$ spent on making your car faster will still keep you behind the guy who does it clean.

That last paragraph was on POINT. I started racing 5 months ago, and one thing I've learned is you're always going to be faster than the guy that flips all the time. Now that I'm consistent, and don't crash more than once in a race, I'm focusing on equipment that can help me get faster. Sorry I can't relate to any brushed convo at all, haha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.