Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
So... what exactly is a buggy and how does it differ from SCT's? >

So... what exactly is a buggy and how does it differ from SCT's?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So... what exactly is a buggy and how does it differ from SCT's?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
no. They are similar in design, but still very different in terms of components, durability, etc.
This is inaccurate. There are a couple SCT's that are exactly the same as their 1/8 buggy counter parts. The tekno for one and the Caster rapture for two. I have owned both.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

If you decide you want a 1/10 buggy in either 2wd, or 4wd… don't make a thread asking which kit is best…Go here! http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html
ask your questions in the kit specific threads.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5errated
ok I think that clears it up.

sounds like I need a buggy. wife will be thrilled!
They always are. At least your not sitting home drinking beer & bugging her. Your outside getting some exercise, staying out of her hair.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mydudrevo
This is inaccurate. There are a couple SCT's that are exactly the same as their 1/8 buggy counter parts. The tekno for one and the Caster rapture for two. I have owned both.
the majority of 4x4 scts are not made on buggy platforms, the trend of making scts out of buggies is a relatively new practice. and i didn't want to confuse the op, by agreeing that 4x4 scts are buggies with nerd bars, bumpers, and larger bodies. Sure, some are (and i did mention the tekno) but the majority are still not. (though it would be a good thing if manufactures started rolling tekno, and caster in this practice)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

pictures speaks a thousand words

Google '2wd rc buggy' and click image.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Addict

I started into 1/10th electric with a stadium truck. it was fun, medium difficulty, but fast. Then I moved into 2wd SCT when it killed off the ST class. also fun and very very easy to drive. Now my curiosity has gotten the best of me and I finally bought a 2wd buggy. It is like smoking RC crack. The Power to weight ratio is awesome, the car is so nimble and handles and jumps so perfectly. Ive never loved a class so much in my life. The only real thing I had to get used to(As far as things that were bad) was the lower amount of throttle that you can apply out of the turns. with the same motors a SCT truck has all the stability, weight, and tire you could want and you can dog it out of the turn, The buggy is a bit different. It needs a rolling application of throttle. But once you master power application, they are so much faster and more fun than SCT.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Tech Adept

very interesting! all this arguing back and forth about the details makes me feel better about not knowing the differences since it appears it's not just black and white.

from how you guys have described them, it sounds like i'd really enjoy buggies. that may be my next project lol. i just need to space it out so my wife doesn't kill me. (or buy her a new purse or something to keep her off my back)

heck, the box stock traxxas bandit class at my local track might be the best way to get a feel for buggies. (and they're only $199 so it might fly under my wife's radar lol)
Old 01-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Tech Champion

if you really want to get a feel for buggies, don't go with a bandit. Try to fine a rtr durango dex 210. somebody probably has one still on sale. They were 200 dollars at one point.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey.

I've owned a stadium truck, a couple on-roaders, and currently two SCT's. I've never owned a buggy though. I know what they look like. But other than that, how do they differ from SCT's? What classifies them as a buggy other than the narrow body and wing at the rear?

Google searching didn't really bring much up.
Take a ride out to Fastlane race way in Blue springs, MO... Looks like it's not far from you.
The are have ing the venom off road jam this weekend. Huge race with some sponsored drivers and about 300 entrees. That should give you a great opportunity to see theses things first hand
Old 01-22-2014, 11:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DHooter
Take a ride out to Fastlane race way in Blue springs, MO... Looks like it's not far from you.
The are have ing the venom off road jam this weekend. Huge race with some sponsored drivers and about 300 entrees. That should give you a great opportunity to see theses things first hand
yeah that's about half hour from me. might have to check it out!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yeah that's about half hour from me. might have to check it out!
FYI, Shawnee Raceway at K7 and 83rd (NE side) will be much closer for you. It's a new track.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

if i could only pick one class to race for the rest of my life it would be 1/10 2wd mod buggy.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

i am a 2wd addict. i want to like 2wd buggy. i really do. but i like ST or SC more. Heres why...i race on outdoor tracks that the weather or 1/8 traffic causes them to be rough.

It can be frustating going down straits and flip your buggy on its lid when hitting a small bump or hole!

now that being said if I raced indoor track...i would be all about stock 2wd buggy.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Corners
FYI, Shawnee Raceway at K7 and 83rd (NE side) will be much closer for you. It's a new track.
Yeah i was just there yesterday. Their new track layout is really awesome
Old 01-23-2014, 12:41 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Its F1 vs NASCAR. One is open wheel, light, nimble and fast. The other is is a full body aerodymanic and handling turd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.