dope will make your tires worn out super fast

Old 01-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Tech Addict

Reino's Ragu!
Old 01-23-2014, 03:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Questions??

What makes tires shine black for vintage shelf queens?
Old 01-23-2014, 04:47 AM
Tech Initiate

Car tyre shine for that shelf look
Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Tire sauce for off-road seems ultra lame to me.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
Makes the world of difference!!
Old 01-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd View Post
Makes the world of difference!!
I'm sure it does. I'll bet the cars stick like glue on the track, but what's the point? Kind of defeats the whole purpose of off road. If that kind of traction is the goal, then why even bother with clay at all? Tracks should just go with carpet and call it a day.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Shoot not if you want to get a least a couple more runs out of pretty warn tires its not. I race on mostly carpet offroad indoor tracks so you would understand lol.

Some indoor dirt tracks especially mixed clay/dirt tracks or clay you need some tire sauce if the track is pretty slick.
Old 01-24-2014, 11:20 AM
Tech Prophet

I'm sure it does. I'll bet the cars stick like glue on the track, but what's the point? Kind of defeats the whole purpose of off road. If that kind of traction is the goal, then why even bother with clay at all? Tracks should just go with carpet and call it a day.

Some traction compounds will make the your truck get to much traction and theres kinds that give you just enough . Like the Sticky kicks traction compound they have five diffrent kinds .
Old 01-25-2014, 08:08 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post

What does the WD40 do exactly?
As another poster pointed out, it's mostly mineral spirits. The solvent degrades the rubber and makes it more sticky (almost all traction chems do this). It also makes some rubbers particularly tacky. I used to use it as an adhesive to put grips on bikes and motorcycles.

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
WD-40 is a water-displacer, it repels water. That's what it was developed for, for industrial use. If a lot of people are using WD-40 at the track, and putting it on their tires every round, the chemicals in the WD-40 start to accumulate in the dirt. Then the dirt repels the water put down to keep it damp and keep the grip up. Water gets repelled, grip goes away. Dirt is ruined and may even need to be replaced. Adding soap to the water when the track is watered (laundry detergent), helps repair the damage from WD-40.
I saw this happen quickly when a track I raced at used WD40 on their roller during a track build. WD40 has been a popular tire sauce at my local track lately. Might be worth considering this point.

Anybody ever used just mineral spirits?
I have also heard fan-belt Dressing/conditioner makes a good tire conditioner.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
As another poster pointed out, it's mostly mineral spirits. The solvent degrades the rubber and makes it more sticky (almost all traction chems do this). It also makes some rubbers particularly tacky. I used to use it as an adhesive to put grips on bikes and motorcycles.

I saw this happen quickly when a track I raced at used WD40 on their roller during a track build. WD40 has been a popular tire sauce at my local track lately. Might be worth considering this point.

Anybody ever used just mineral spirits?
I have also heard fan-belt Dressing/conditioner makes a good tire conditioner.
Yes, fan belt dressing does work. Mostly on softer compounds. It has the same effect on a track as wd40. Dries it up and some dirt will actually start ball up and make marbles. I can't recommend either wd40 or belt dressing simply because it has high potential to ruin a track.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
Yes, fan belt dressing does work. Mostly on softer compounds. It has the same effect on a track as wd40. Dries it up and some dirt will actually start ball up and make marbles. I can't recommend either wd40 or belt dressing simply because it has high potential to ruin a track.
Good info, thanks.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Given the potential to ruin a track I honestly would not care if we outlawed traction compound(sauce). Especially at bigger races (maybe we impound tires?) where they are already doing spec tires. Where do we draw the line though in terms of rubber conditioner and traction compound? I agree with some who say you can get more life out of old tires with traction compound but at the end of the day who cares if it ends up ruining the track. Also, how do we police it? Seems like it would be almost impossible to tech it, especially at the club level.

What about sugaring tracks? didn't they sugar at the off road worlds?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Has anyone ever tried PB Blaster? Only ask cause on the can itself it talks about being used to recondition rubber toilet flappers as one of its many uses.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Elite

Yup, used to use pb blaster on slicks. It works, nothing too special though. With The amounts you need it smells bad and is just nasty on your hands.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by 13Maschine View Post
Given the potential to ruin a track I honestly would not care if we outlawed traction compound(sauce). Especially at bigger races (maybe we impound tires?) where they are already doing spec tires. Where do we draw the line though in terms of rubber conditioner and traction compound? I agree with some who say you can get more life out of old tires with traction compound but at the end of the day who cares if it ends up ruining the track. Also, how do we police it? Seems like it would be almost impossible to tech it, especially at the club level.

What about sugaring tracks? didn't they sugar at the off road worlds?
Yes they sugared. It made the track extemy consistent. It also eats a set of tires in 1 run!!! Highly impactical for club racing. Plus it's super abrasive on the bottom of chassis/arms.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service