Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
dope will make your tires worn out super fast >

dope will make your tires worn out super fast

dope will make your tires worn out super fast

Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scott54 View Post
I can vouch for this. Two seasons ago, back when we had an indoor clay track and we all ran slicks, everyone got on a WD40 kick. Yes it works for traction and it did wear out the rubber quite a bit. The problem is that after a few weeks of racing, you HAD to have WD40 or you couldn't get traction. After a month, WD40 stopped working and nothing else worked. Even after a rebuild, the traction was never the same. It's amazing how much the chemicals effect the track itself, not just the tires.
Originally Posted by dezertranger96 View Post
i know buying new tires is not cheap, but do not use wd40, use highly concentrated simple green, and scrub it in a lot. those tires arent going to work at all to be perfectly honest, just invest in another pair of tires, you really have no choice if you want to have traction.
Can anyone elaborate on the WD40 thing? Sticky Kicks is still the choice compound at our clay track, but people are getting more and more creative and WD40 has recently popped up as well. The owner added calcium to the track and slicks front and rear are now the hot ticket (super soft or sometimes clay compound completely worn). It seems that the compounds are just to soften the rubber, and usually evaporates or soaks into the rubber so they are dry when you put them on the track.

What does the WD40 do exactly?
Old 01-22-2014, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
What does the WD40 do exactly?
It just puts the oil back in the tire and makes it more soft and sticky. Simple Green will actually pull oil out of a tire. Every month or so I like to soak my tires in a ziplock freezer bag with a bit of WD40 sprayed in there. I work it around evenly and then let it sit overnight. Sometimes it makes clay compound swell a bit, but the swelling is gone after a few hours in open air.

If you just use simple green over and over, your tires will dry out eventually. WD40 resets them. If you use too much WD40 though your tire will saturate and then you just have oily tires!

Last edited by 1967Typhoon; 01-22-2014 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:39 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
Ok thanks I use highly concentrated simple green then...
your went MM with the absolute wrong tires..... no amount of dope will fix your issue. You cant make a terrible tire good with come chemicals. You can sometimes make a great tire slightly better.

I would be interested in a tire conditioner...no anything that adds or takes away traction. It can be very dry here in AZ and rubber can suffer. I would just like to keep the rubber supple, like when they were new. Not sure if anything exists that will also keep the performance of the tire.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:02 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
your went MM with the absolute wrong tires..... no amount of dope will fix your issue. You cant make a terrible tire good with come chemicals. You can sometimes make a great tire slightly better.

I would be interested in a tire conditioner...no anything that adds or takes away traction. It can be very dry here in AZ and rubber can suffer. I would just like to keep the rubber supple, like when they were new. Not sure if anything exists that will also keep the performance of the tire.

Muchmore Racing Blue Sap Rubber Tire Conditioner
[MMRMRGBS]

Tire Tweak Conditioner For Foam R/C & Slot Car Tires
Team Trinity
Product Code: 6684
Old 01-22-2014, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Try the WD40 method I posted above once in a while. It will really help with dried out tires. Sticky Kicks is allegedly a conditioner, but I personally don't think it will help keep oil in.

My method is:

Clean with Simple Green
Sauce with Sticky Kicks
Soak after 4-5 race nights with WD40.

It covers all bases.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

the old school method was turpentine
Old 01-22-2014, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
the old school method was turpentine
can you pls explain how to use Turpentine? Thanks
Old 01-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Maybe try Glycerin - that's always been a rubber conditioner.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1967Typhoon View Post
It just puts the oil back in the tire and makes it more soft and sticky. Simple Green will actually pull oil out of a tire. Every month or so I like to soak my tires in a ziplock freezer bag with a bit of WD40 sprayed in there. I work it around evenly and then let it sit overnight. Sometimes it makes clay compound swell a bit, but the swelling is gone after a few hours in open air.

If you just use simple green over and over, your tires will dry out eventually. WD40 resets them. If you use too much WD40 though your tire will saturate and then you just have oily tires!
Right now I clean with Simple Green and sauce with White Sticky Kicks. I am not seeing anything abnormal or particularly ground breaking.

My concern with WD40 was more the people talking about it ruining the track.

Onroad guys are notorious for traction additives, and everything from lighter fluid to diesel to strange concoctions from moonshiners, I can't keep up. As I said, my concern is with the track, not what crazy chemicals the next guy is going to try to gain a tenth.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xxx123 View Post
can you pls explain how to use Turpentine? Thanks
Paint it on with an old toothbrush and let it dry (outside or something!). DON'T do it at the track. Your tires will have more traction. You won't need to re-apply as it breaks down the rubber somewhat. Works at some places, not at others so give it a go with your old crappy tires first.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:38 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by orcadigital View Post
Right now I clean with Simple Green and sauce with White Sticky Kicks. I am not seeing anything abnormal or particularly ground breaking.

My concern with WD40 was more the people talking about it ruining the track.

Onroad guys are notorious for traction additives, and everything from lighter fluid to diesel to strange concoctions from moonshiners, I can't keep up. As I said, my concern is with the track, not what crazy chemicals the next guy is going to try to gain a tenth.
WD-40 is mostly mineral spirits so it's probably pulling stuff out of the tire. I've used it a bunch of times and it usually makes the tires work a lil better.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I am thinking some of those pricy sticky liquid is a mixed of everything. LOL Thanks anyway
Old 01-22-2014, 04:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

WD-40 is a water-displacer, it repels water. That's what it was developed for, for industrial use. If a lot of people are using WD-40 at the track, and putting it on their tires every round, the chemicals in the WD-40 start to accumulate in the dirt. Then the dirt repels the water put down to keep it damp and keep the grip up. Water gets repelled, grip goes away. Dirt is ruined and may even need to be replaced. Adding soap to the water when the track is watered (laundry detergent), helps repair the damage from WD-40.
Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Adept

I use simple green and it works good.

1. i wash the tires with water
2. i spray them with simple green (not diluted)
3. spread it around the tire and let them sit for as long as you want
4. use a towel to dry off the excess simple green (tires should be dry and grippy feeling)

i do this between every round at my indoor clay track. It works good and is much cheaper than a "rc" traction compound. The most important thing is to dry the tires. If you dont they are slimy and have less grip than before you cleaned them.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The Marc Rheinard MR33 stuff works great as a rubber conditioner!

In onroad slicks we use it till the belt and it still feels like a new set of tires!

Works for offroad rubber too, just rub it on an old pair of cleaned tires and ziplock it

A few days
http://www.fast-webshop.com/tonispor...door-Additives

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service