Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Two ESCs, One Battery? >

Two ESCs, One Battery?

Two ESCs, One Battery?

Old 01-22-2014, 07:44 AM
kwe
Tech Adept

Default Two ESCs, One Battery?

Hey Guys, just wanted to see if you think it would be safe to run two ESCs off of one battery if connected in parallel. I plan to use two Castle Sidewinder 3 and a 3S 40C 6400Mah LiPo. Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-2014, 07:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Electrically, yes, that should work. Just check the amperage draw on all your equipment, battery, and wiring. If possible, you may consider staging the ESC's to try and decrease the starting amps.

What exactly are you trying to power?
Old 01-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I would worry a little about the C rating of a one battery doing double duty. Also not sure if the LVC might be an issue in there somehow.

Why two brushless motors, it is more efficient to just run one that is big enough.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:11 AM
kwe
Tech Adept

To be specific, I'm making a custom Rustler 4X4 and I plan to run it with two motors and two ESCs(sidewinder 3).
I do only plan to use one of the ESC's BEC.

Since the ESCs will be the same product, shouldn't they both do LiPo Cutoff at the same time(3.2V per cell)?

What do you mean by "staging the ESC's to try and decrease the starting amps?"
Old 01-22-2014, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kwe
To be specific, I'm making a custom Rustler 4X4 and I plan to run it with two motors and two ESCs(sidewinder 3).
Since the ESCs will be the same product, shouldn't they both do LiPo Cutoff at the same time(3.2V per cell)?

What do you mean by "staging the ESC's to try and decrease the starting amps?"
For staging I think he means starting one slightly ahead of the other, not sure how to do that, but it is what I think he is getting at.

With the LVC, when you fire up a pair of 4-pole motors it might brown out the system or ripple the voltage. Just a lot more demand than a single motor. I am not sure if the LVC would see this and try to protect the battery.

Another simpler direction for the project might be to start with a stampede 4x4 and power it with 1:8 scale electronics. Would put down more power than any pair of castle 540s and be more straightforward. But then again, I get your idea about blazing a trail and doing something unique. But with a project also consider sustainability, if you have to fabricate a lot of it then you will be in a bind for parts support at some point.
Old 01-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

This would actually be really useful over in the boat forum as there are a few hulls that support dual props/dual motor setups. I know the old Traxxas Villian came with dual brushed motors back in the day and ran 2 packs.

I think you would be better off with dual packs (shortys) and run 1 per esc as well or you need 1 really high C battery.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:30 PM
kwe
Tech Adept

Yeah, I really like the idea of using shorty packs. I'll probably go that route.

I do like the Pede 4X4 and all, but i'm mainly doing the project to do the project. I like building up and fixing my car more than I do driving it. The Pede 4X4 setup would be simpler, but simplicity is not my goal.

Thanks for all your help!