Wiki Posts
Search

want to get into racing

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default want to get into racing

Hi I'm trying to find out what is the best clay track 1/10 buggy there is out there. So let me know what u think the best one is. I also have a $500 limit but want as cheep as possible. Also would like it to be on brand. So no off brand.Thank you for looking.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thunder tiger . Cheap b3 with a lot of parts . Run it with a traxxas vxl system and a Lois rtr servo. Be totally boss.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topfuelcar
Hi I'm trying to find out what is the best clay track 1/10 buggy there is out there. So let me know what u think the best one is. I also have a $500 limit but want as cheep as possible. Also would like it to be on brand. So no off brand.Thank you for looking.
Honestly your best bet is to wait for the B5 to show up. There is a good chance it is going to be cream of the crop. Until then, get yourself a used B4, or a used RB5 (I have an almost brand new one for sale), and run that for the next few months until it comes out.

In reality, all the top shelf 1/10th scale buggies are equally competative, with one selection having a slightly different set of pros and cons from the next.

B4/B5
RB5/RB6
xxx/22
KR/KF

All good.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html was on the second page of the forum...
Old 01-20-2014, 07:12 PM
JsK
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Step One: Go to staples and buy a legal note pad.

Step Two: On that pad make headings for the following questions.

Chassis
Tires
Motor
ESC
Batteries
Class

Step Three: Go to the track you plan on racing, ask the racers what there using.

You will get much better track specific answers.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:13 PM
Tech Elite

Durango dex210, tekin RS, savox 1257 or 1258, futaba 3pl, all used should come up to less then that. If you need a battery, the great hobbies 4000mah shorty pack will do the trick. Buying used brand name quality stuff is the way to get great deals. All that probably comes to around $400 used here.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:55 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topfuelcar
First, nothing is cheap when mentioned in the same sentence as racing. Once you figure that out, you will be over that $500 limit. Last, the best is what feels the best to you and works for you.

Like the other guy said. Add in 3 batteries, radio, chargers, power supplies, tires, servos, speed controls, motor, traction compound, tire foams, tools, entry fees, radio cases, car cases, fuel to get to track, lunch money, practice fees, etc.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wittyname
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...you-going.html was on the second page of the forum...
This is why this thread was started because every other day someone ask this question. Panda took a lot of time to start this thread so please use it.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

-pick up a used B4.2, DEX210, TLR22 (1.0), RB5 $175ish or less (will probably come with tires too)
-Spekctrum DX3c $99 new
-used 17.5 (schuurspeed, Reedy or Trinity) $40ish
-BHR LT4 80a ESC ($70 new shipped)
-2 Vant or SMC shorty batteries, $90
-used Savox 1257 or equivalent $50

That will be a highly competitive car in stock for $525

You could probably save a few bucks here and there depending on how hard you look on the classifieds on here. (my last ESC I bought off here I got for $40 and its is a nice speed passion for example)
Old 01-20-2014, 08:39 PM
Tech Regular

go visit the track you're planning to race at and check what's the most popular buggy and start from there. you'll get lots of support and you can ask the guys who run the same buggy for advice.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

-Go the track you will be racing at most and talk to the fastest guys. Find out what car/chassis they are running along with all of their other gear. See which car most racers have at the track. Buy you car based on parts availability and the fast guys being able to help you with your set-up. It's always nice if your local hobby shop/track has parts readily available. It's even better if you get the same chassis as the fastest racers so they can help you with set-up, especially if they are nice about it.
-Keep in mind that you don't need the best of everything, a $100 motor isn't necessarily better than an $80 motor.
-Tires are the #1 priority, having the correct tires for your track will make racing more fun. You'll know if you have the wrong tires on.
-Gearing is also important. Don't always gear your car the same as the fastest guys. There are a lot of factors involved with gearing. Chances are the fast guys have their timing cranked-up and depending on which ESC they're running it may be boosted. If you don't have the exact same electronics you risk overheating your motor/ESC or worse. I would check the owners manual for reference on gearing and adjust by temperature accordingly.
-Buying used is a great idea if you are familiar with r/c enough to easily work on your car. See if the racers at the track have anything for sale, you can find out their reputation there fairly quickly.
-Remember that slow is fast. This took me several years to figure out and I am still slow!
-Have Fun!