Search

Stock Buggy Class

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 04:51 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
That is some funny stuff right there!.
Lol billy is super freindly and hilarious!! He takes accidents as an accident, even like driving on the track
Old 01-11-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
That is some funny stuff right there!

Wrong tires to the point where you can't drive the car, you should probably pull it. Just like a car that is limping along half broken. Pull it, don't mess up other guys' race, and chalk it up for the following week.
Lol, they were drivable, just had to lay off a little in the corners. Track got cold and m3's stopped working well
Old 01-11-2014, 05:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speedo711
from what i can tell they pay the extra money for a motor that does not fade as much under these conditions. The main reason i didnt run stock is because it is WAY more competative. at my local track the guy who is winning the stock class has $100 into his transmission (MIP puck/aluminium) , $180 in motors this year (he is in the motor of the month club), $160 in batteries... it's crazy....and it pays off for him. That is what made me choose mod.
None of that stuff is enough to overcome a driver with more skill. It may seem a little crazy, but even if that spend were necessary, stock racing has never been as inexpensive as it is now.

I run stock and mod. I prefer stock because it's more competitive and it's easier to have close racing without nuclear horsepower to manage.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:52 PM
Tech Legend

Heard OCRC gives anyone the boot out of stock after a few wins..

Smart as it keeps stock program healthy and every body wants to move up to mod instead of vulching and gorging on new racer's race after race .(Bad)
Old 01-11-2014, 07:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I think that's crap. Do they give them an extra $100 to buy a new motor then too? Why should someone get the boot because they are the fastest? Maybe the rest of the racers should practice more, learn about setups and drive cleaner.

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

Smart as it keeps stock program healthy and every body wants to move up to mod instead of vulching and gorging on new racer's race after race .(Bad)
Old 01-11-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry

I like it, I like it a lot!
Old 01-11-2014, 07:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

OC/RC has at least A & B mains and sometimes into the D's so they are able to put the stock racers with their peers. Novice class will boot racers if they are grabbing 1st consistently.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Tech Adept

Down here in Georgia, the tracks mostly just run mod buggy. Then after each round of qualifying they do a resort. I think this is a great idea. You get a chance to race with the fast guys, because I think you can learn a ton from racing these guys. Then if you can't keep up with them, you end up in the lower mains with the slower drivers like me. I have never won a race, or even come close but I still enjoy racing.
Old 01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by intimdator10
Down here in Georgia, the tracks mostly just run mod buggy. Then after each round of qualifying they do a resort. I think this is a great idea. You get a chance to race with the fast guys, because I think you can learn a ton from racing these guys. Then if you can't keep up with them, you end up in the lower mains with the slower drivers like me. I have never won a race, or even come close but I still enjoy racing.
+1 ^^^^^ i dont even care what class i'm running because 1. i'm not gonna win any of them 2. there will always be someone slightly better than me to race
Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Lots of good stuff in here, I agree that stock is about spec, not skill level. Stock around here in AZ is very competitive and between batteries, motors, and weight-saving hop-ups, can be just as expensive or more than mod (even with lighter tire use and breaking/wearing out less parts).

2wd stock buggy is a really strong class and it's good for the hobby as others have pointed out. It makes making the A main mean something. Some of the fast mod guys even run stock occasionally for the competition because there are so many more entries in stock. It's not as much fun to beat 9 guys as it is to beat 40-50.

Driving with faster guys makes me better, plain and simple. That said, I don't try to race fast guys when they're lapping me and generally let them by all the time. Then I try to shadow them. Most of the fast guys around here are sponsored and more than willing to give pointers, and I'm sure they also appreciate that I drive respectfully as I'm getting faster. Also, the race directors at both clubs here will generally group the fast guys together.

IMO, fast guys need to be ambassadors of the hobby, not elitists. When they are in heats with greener drivers, they need to know and expect that those drivers won't have the same level of control that they do. I think the best drivers understand this.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Another thing, talk to the fast guys and get some pointers. Setup, tires, traction compound, etc. All of the guys around here are more than willing to help. Let them drive your car and see if they are fast with it. If they are faster than you are, it is probably your driving ability. As far as the name calling and being disrespectful, there is no place for this type of behavior! I went to my first on road race in over 20 years back in November. When I got on the stand I was beside one of the fastest guys and I told him I would try to stay out of his way and I am sorry if I wreck you. His reply was "don't worry about it, we all started somewhere and it is only toy cars for fun".
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I usually at least try the advice I get from faster drivers and determine if it helps me or not. I have always had problems determining if washing my tires helps at all, I never noticed any improvement.
The best advice I ever got was to get out of Rookie Class and run 19T Truck. I was hesitant, but the guy who gave me that advice was racing that class. He told me I would learn faster running that class than staying in Rookie. He was right.
I let the fast guys pass me and see how long I can keep up with them. I drive faster that way and usually learn something about my car.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by CTRJ
I think that's crap. Do they give them an extra $100 to buy a new motor then too? Why should someone get the boot because they are the fastest? Maybe the rest of the racers should practice more, learn about setups and drive cleaner.
More like a promotion or a reward for demonstrating good sportsmanship and driving skill.
Old 06-23-2014, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Edit sorry posted in wrong thread
Old 02-15-2016, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Out of control stock class

I totally agree the stock classes have gotten out of control in more than one way. On road is the same way. From high dollar parts such as motors with fancy pants bearings and hi torque rotors to sand bagging just to say you got on the podium. I raced for my first year in novice then stock buggy and won a point series with a 2nd hand buggy and electronics. after that made a choice to do mod buggy and have done so ever since. I have never won a mod a-main but it still feels better than beating novice/intermediate drivers. plus the big motor negates the spending war. as long as you have a 13.5-7.5 motor, the right tires, and a good setup you are good to go. Have to say I agree with George too. Use to race BMX way back and 3 wins got you out of the novice class into intermediate. 7 (or 11 cant remember) wins got you out of intermediate and into the expert class. we were extremely PROUD to bump up into the next class. That's the point right? The competition in the stock class is great though so maybe we should protect the sportiness of the class by mandating battery spec caps, non fancy pants motors to keep costs down and maybe a bump system. There should be more of a difference between stock and pro stock as well but that's all just my opinion and shouldn't be taken too seriously by people who take things too seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.