Wiki Posts
Search

Duct Taping Tires For Ballooning

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Duct Taping Tires For Ballooning

For those of you running Barcodes / Gold compound for buggies, do you all tape your tires? I have used tape on a couple of pairs and it definitely helps the ballooning, but is a little ballooning good? I just got done mounting a new set and realized afterwards that I forgot to tape them. I am trying to make myself feel better about potentially ruining a brand new set of wheels and tires.

The only upside is that I don't have a set for testing on pavement or whatever for breaking in diffs (just converted to hex wheels), I could always just use this set for that, it still sucks.

Thanks!
Old 01-07-2014, 11:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I don't tape, nor know what it is, I doubt tape is a good thing because it is more rotating mass. I do what most People do and put a hole in the tires one on each side 180 degrees from the other
Old 01-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I remember 10years ago we duct taped most of our tires for mod classes, it was always said that in stock classes the ballooning was good as it gave you a little more top end on the straight as the tires get taller. Not sure how true it was as I never ran stock back then.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xTotalghost
I don't tape, nor know what it is, I doubt tape is a good thing because it is more rotating mass. I do what most People do and put a hole in the tires one on each side 180 degrees from the other
You run tape around the inside of the tire (has the same affect of belted tires) that keeps the tires from ballooning from centrifugal force.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I your balooning barcodes you must have serious power...i run a 3800 4pole in my mod buggy and they dont baloon that bad, and definitely not on stock
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I also run closed cell foams all around!
Old 01-08-2014, 08:43 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Tried it on my 1/8th for a while. What i found is that most modern tires are designed (or seem to be) to generate max forward bite when they balloon a little.

Also, when you tape tires you change the "slip angle" of the tire under speed. This can have some odd effects on car handling on anything but low speed turns.

Taping did stop the ballooning... but i would rather have consistency than ballooning.

If Ballooning your tires is that big of a problem, you might want to look at other solutions.

Last edited by DsWright; 01-08-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I noticed while it prevents ballooning that it aides in preventing the bead of the tire from slipping out of deadlocks. If that is your cup of tea. I doubt that helps any with racing but just my observation.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by theblitzkidd
I your balooning barcodes you must have serious power...i run a 3800 4pole in my mod buggy and they dont baloon that bad, and definitely not on stock
I am just running 8.5t on 2s. The gold Barcodes are really soft and seem to balloon more than others. I have found it helps a bit in my 4WD buggy with the same tires to tape. I will just give it a try and see how it goes. The area I notice taping the tires the most is when my car is in the air and I have to adjust the car angle with the throttle. If they are ballooning really bad, using the throttle makes mid-air adjustments sloppier.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Tech Initiate

does the tape not come loose? or do you glue it in?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:39 AM
Tech Regular

It sticks well enough to not move that I have noticed. That and centrifugal forces, it stays put.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by JeepnMike
For those of you running Barcodes / Gold compound for buggies, do you all tape your tires? I have used tape on a couple of pairs and it definitely helps the ballooning, but is a little ballooning good? I just got done mounting a new set and realized afterwards that I forgot to tape them. I am trying to make myself feel better about potentially ruining a brand new set of wheels and tires.

The only upside is that I don't have a set for testing on pavement or whatever for breaking in diffs (just converted to hex wheels), I could always just use this set for that, it still sucks.

Thanks!
when the tire balloons its as if you raised the rear ride height a extra 1/2 in.
Car wanders and becomes skatey & looses traction.
Old 01-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
when the tire balloons its as if you raised the ride height a extra 1/2 in.
Car wanders and becomes skatey & looses traction.
So you tape your tires Wild Cherry?
Old 01-08-2014, 09:58 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by gticlay
So you tape your tires Wild Cherry?
Will do if track is large and straights long and very high speed.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I tried it on a set of goose bumps for my SC10, but was really disapointed. Since the profile of the carcass is not a straight line, but rather a slight curve, you're bound to get some uneven ridges on the edge of the tape when you flip the tire back to normal. This was gave a sight but noticeable bump on my tires all the way around, and gave me inconsistent traction.

It might have been better with thinner "filament tape" instead of duct tape or Gorilla tape, but I'm not going to bother again. I asked around a bit, and no one else where I race seemd to do it, except perhaps for big monster truck tires for bashing (prevents exploding tires).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.