Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Why hasn't 1/8th scale 4x4 SC caught on? >

Why hasn't 1/8th scale 4x4 SC caught on?

Why hasn't 1/8th scale 4x4 SC caught on?

Old 01-07-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Why hasn't 1/8th scale 4x4 SC caught on?

After reading all of the rise and fall of the truggy class thread comments, it really leaves me wondering even more as to why the 1/8th scale SC class never really caught on. I had an SC8e years ago and it was a blast. Looks better. Bigger. More power. Jumps better. Bodies seemed to have lasted longer due to the scale roll cage that adds extra support. But yet, everyone seems to be stuck on 1/10th scale SC with their 2S battery limits. I would have thought 1/10th SC would have been an entry level class, and 1/8th SC would have been the show. Kind of like 250 and 450 motocross. There's a few 1/8th scale SC trucks out on the market now, and it wouldn't be hard for others to jump on board. I understand that not all tracks are big enough for them, but the 1/8th scale buggy class is big. 1/8th SC would go perfect with them for a second class IMHO. Also love the fact there's nitro and electric versions of them. (Yes, I know there's nitro versions of the 1/10th scale too, but it's just not the same)
Old 01-07-2014, 05:16 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Probably because of cost and the fact that we have to many classes now as it is.

Nobody wants to invest 1K+ in a car they may not get to run. And unless you get a bunch of guys who all get them at the same time, chances are you won't run it.

Race classes have become diluted. we have so many different classes that instead of 2-4 classes with lots of healthy competition, we have 8+ that on club days only have 1 heat.

Personally i think we have so many classes because everyone wants to make the A, so they run something with less competition to feel they do better.

I think this has been a big part of the 4x4SC surge we have seen recently in the midwest also. 2w SC is harder to drive and has lots of competition, so people bought 4wd sc so it's easier and less competition. but now that is changing as well.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

I can see that. I myself switched from 2wd sc to 4wd sc because they are faster while being easier to drive which equals more fun for me. But 1/10th 4wd SC still is nothing like 1/8th scale SC was.

And I do agree, there's too many classes, and most tracks try to cater to both scales which I think is a mistake. My local track actually is 1/10th scale only as it's indoor. Others are big 1/8th scale style tracks indoors that only have a heat of 1/8th scale buggies and everything else is 1/10th scale running on a monster track. Feels weird, jumps are all super huge for 1/10th scale. The majority though are in-between size wise, and try to run both scales.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:27 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
I can see that. I myself switched from 2wd sc to 4wd sc because they are faster while being easier to drive which equals more fun for me. But 1/10th 4wd SC still is nothing like 1/8th scale SC was.

And I do agree, there's too many classes, and most tracks try to cater to both scales which I think is a mistake. My local track actually is 1/10th scale only as it's indoor. Others are big 1/8th scale style tracks indoors that only have a heat of 1/8th scale buggies and everything else is 1/10th scale running on a monster track. Feels weird, jumps are all super huge for 1/10th scale. The majority though are in-between size wise, and try to run both scales.
I agree 100%

Don't get me wrong, not trying to bash on people who swap to other classes, not my intent. Many like you do it because they find it more fun, but some do it just to get a win against little/no competition. The latter are the minority though i think.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

It has, wildly in fact. We call them 1/10 for some reason, even though they are far larger than any other 1/10 vehicle.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Our track here locally runs both scales and at times it's tough. Last layout was very 10th oriented and just awesome and challenging for 2w mod.

Current layout is throttle junkie 1/8th all the way and very tough on the 1/10th cars. They will change it again soon for our next points series race and hopefully end up back at a happy medium between the 2 styles. While i like 1/10th oriented tracks alot, i am ok with a happy medium as long as the layout is fun and challenging.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
It has, wildly in fact. We call them 1/10 for some reason, even though they are far larger than any other 1/10 vehicle.
Ha... yup. they even run the 4x4s with the 1/8 electrics at nationals... while the 2wd, which are the same size, btw, run at 1/10 nats... weird.
Old 01-07-2014, 06:04 AM
Tech Addict

I guess your right in those regards, we just run 1/10th scale electronics in 8th scale sized vehicles.
Old 01-07-2014, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sc8e is one of my favorites. When 3 or 4 of them are out there , with some drivers behind the wheel , its an awesome time. So much fun. The trucks are all very equal compared to the 10th scale trucks , and they can take a beating . They allow for close racing and long run times with no electornics issues to worry about. I cant believe I was able to buy a 1/8 truck , with a new castle system in it , rtr in a box for 375.00 . I still think it was a deal ...

Why hasnt it caught on ? Cause tekno hasnt made it cool to own yet ...
Old 01-07-2014, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC View Post
After reading all of the rise and fall of the truggy class thread comments, it really leaves me wondering even more as to why the 1/8th scale SC class never really caught on. I had an SC8e years ago and it was a blast. Looks better. Bigger. More power. Jumps better. Bodies seemed to have lasted longer due to the scale roll cage that adds extra support. But yet, everyone seems to be stuck on 1/10th scale SC with their 2S battery limits. I would have thought 1/10th SC would have been an entry level class, and 1/8th SC would have been the show. Kind of like 250 and 450 motocross. There's a few 1/8th scale SC trucks out on the market now, and it wouldn't be hard for others to jump on board. I understand that not all tracks are big enough for them, but the 1/8th scale buggy class is big. 1/8th SC would go perfect with them for a second class IMHO. Also love the fact there's nitro and electric versions of them. (Yes, I know there's nitro versions of the 1/10th scale too, but it's just not the same)
Interesting question. In my opinion it is all about timing.

Most people do not realize that the SC8 was in development at the same time as the Slash. Interestingly, we (AE) found out that Traxxas was getting involved in full size SC racing via Ricky Johnson. We figured that if they were getting involved in SC racing that they must be developing an R/C car as well.

So Traxxas releases their sub $200 Slash and AE later releases a relatively expensive 1/8 nitro platform. Electric was getting easier thanks to LiPo and brushless while nitro RTRs were dying. AE did not promote the class as a racing class so while the SC8 thrived as an expensive RTR, it never caught on enough to create a racing class.

As 2wd SC continued to surge it only made sense to create 4wd versions which were easier to drive and faster. PLus they chared tires, wheels, and batteries so the transition to them was pretty easy. The 4wd 1/10 SC became popular and is essentially the 1/8 SC class. By this I mean they are raced on 1/8 tracks at 1/8 events. Many drivers use 1/8 ESCs and the motors (4-pole) are closely related to the motors used in 1/8 electric. Put a 4S battery in it and it is 1/8.

However the vehicle proportions are way off on all 1/10 SC trucks. The SC8 has nearly perfect proportions.

Had the SC8 been released later in electric form and other manufacturers come on board and built similar platforms, the 1/8 SC class could have thrived.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cuz 2 wd are cheaper !!
I prefer 4x4...don't care how much it cost !!!!
Old 01-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Put a 1/10 SC next to a 1/8 buggy. Do they look the same scale? At the same scale, the SC should be much bigger, which a 1/10 SC is compared to a1/10 buggy, but not so much compared to a 1/8 buggy. Look at 1600 Light buggy with a wheelbase of 92 inches. The Pro Trucks are 113-122. The aspect of full sized to scale seems about right to me.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Tech Addict

Probably because there are better options in 1/8 like buggy and truggy and the SC8 is only one I can think of. Plus that thing is a pos, we let one race with us in 4x4 sc and it's junk.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Tech Addict

Wow Rick that was really interesting to read. Makes you wonder what could have happened if the Slash never came to be.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metoo View Post
Put a 1/10 SC next to a 1/8 buggy. Do they look the same scale? At the same scale, the SC should be much bigger, which a 1/10 SC is compared to a1/10 buggy, but not so much compared to a 1/8 buggy. Look at 1600 Light buggy with a wheelbase of 92 inches. The Pro Trucks are 113-122. The aspect of full sized to scale seems about right to me.
I suppose that's a fair point but rc race vehicles have not approximated 'scale' in off road since the very early days. Case in point: 4wd buggy? SCT was an unexpected reality check I guess.