Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/8th Off Road : OS-Vspec v's Novarossi/JP/Top etc.. >

1/8th Off Road : OS-Vspec v's Novarossi/JP/Top etc..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/8th Off Road : OS-Vspec v's Novarossi/JP/Top etc..

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 06:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default 1/8th Off Road : OS-Vspec v's Novarossi/JP/Top etc..

Hi All,

Im planning my first 1/8th buggy purchase at the moment - my local store is into the Hobao gear in a pretty big way so im pretty sure i'll be choosing one of those buggies - probly the hyper 7 pro kit (TQ at the worlds is good enough for me ).

I dont know what to pick with regards to an engine, they only have the force engines as far as I know - and im not a real fan of them..

I love the look of the OS V-Spec, and have read some reviews of it and it looks like it performs pretty well. From the FEMCA Champs pics it looks like Hara had one of them in his buggy - but I cant find an equipment list to make sure of it..

This isnt my first Nitro car - but will be my first race-spec nitro car (I had a nitro RTR on-road that was junk, hence my hate for RTR's). Is the OS V-Spec particularly difficult to tune and run?

Is there another engine that is signifigantly better, like a Novarossi, JP or a TOP motor? Are any of them much easier to run or tune?

Also, a general 1/8th buggy question.. When you buy a kit or an engine, do you have to buy the clutch/flywheel/cutch bell seperate? Or is it generally included with the kit or the engine?
Old 07-18-2005, 05:33 PM
Tech Elite

If anyone has any thoughts to add, that would help me out heaps
Old 07-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

if you get a "good" vspec it is easy to tune, but a few people here have thier fair share of issues.

i have a few friends who have them

1st person: great engine, no flame outs, easy to tune and goes great
2nd person: a few litres old.. cant get it tuned, never runs it
3rd person: great engine, goes great, but he had to change the bearings

try a rb s7 or nova p5 for easy tuning.

flywheel and clutch should come with kit..

tires may or may not.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Ok, thanks.

Might go for the P5 then, there isnt a huge price difference anyway and the distributor/importer for them in Australia is only a few suburbs away from where i live - cant be a bad thing to have them near by

Cheers
Old 07-18-2005, 07:26 PM
Tech Adept

also if you want a hyper 7 in good nick, let me know i got one real cheap. pm me if interested cheers
Old 07-18-2005, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Typically the car kit includes the clutch and flywheel parts.

As for engines, I would recommend the V-spec. I just bought mine last Friday from Tower Hobbies ($299US ) but love it. I changed over from the Force .26 and was instantly impressed with the fuel economy of the V-Spec. RCNitro did a review of this engine and they were equally impressed (2.93HP @ 28,000).

Make sure you invest in a good 3-stage air filter otherwise kiss your engine goodbye. The motor saver is good ($20US)

Jabba,
Did your friends break in the engine the same way? I'm thinking that maybe an incorrect break-in led to your friend's problems. I've ran 11 tanks (145ml each) and the engine still has crazy pinch and compression. I think that even though the manual says 1/2 gallon break in, more is required. I just recently started tuning for performance.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Locally, the generally comment is that the vspec does not last more than a few gallons, there are exceptions, but this is from 5+ people.

Have a look at the collari 7 port, a good strong motor, and cheaper than the p5. The P5 is a good motor, if you can stretch a few more bucks have a look at the JP stock P5N, good fast strong motor.

also the WS7 II is good, personally i have not run it.

I have a hot mod P5, a JP stock and a Modded Collari 7 port, all are way too fast for me
Old 07-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Tech Adept

Jabba,
Did your friends break in the engine the same way? I'm thinking that maybe an incorrect break-in led to your friend's problems. I've ran 11 tanks (145ml each) and the engine still has crazy pinch and compression. I think that even though the manual says 1/2 gallon break in, more is required. I just recently started tuning for performance
not sure on there run in methods. the two people who have thire OS run good had OS V01b prior to the vspec though.

the other person, has had many engines b4, novarossi mainly, and he never runs his OS coz he couldnt get it to run properly, could be his tuning issues, not sure.

wat run-in method u do?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by BritRacer
I have a hot mod P5, a JP stock and a Modded Collari 7 port, all are way too fast for me

hey what is your honest opionon on the HotMod p5? my friend is in the market for a kickass engine... worth it over a stock p5?
Old 07-18-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

I would suggest a P5...great "all-around" engine. Strong on the low-end torque up through the midrange. It's not the fastest motor top end wise but it will hold it's own against anything on most tracks. If your track is very large, you may want to consider a 421B. Not as much bottom as the P5 but strong in the midrange up thru the top end.

I've had OS engines and they are really easy to tune. My V01B was a solid engine...a true champ. The VZ-B was faster but wore out a bit prematurely. Never ran the V-Spec but it's supposedly better than the VZ-B performance-wise. Still haven't heard raving reviews on how long they last though.

For anyone considering a modded P5, I say go for it. The P5 is a great engine and the knock on it is it doesn't have the top end some of the other engines do for the big tracks. Well, a little modding can turn the solid P5 into an absolute screamer. As for the HotMod P5, Jim Hottinger is a reputable engine modifier. While I've never owned one of his engines, but I have used them and they run well.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Adept

The best buggy motor, which is probably the most underestimated, is the Sirio Kanai 2. It probably has the most low end torque out of any of the .21's. A guy I know has over 13 gallons in the first edition (Kanai 1) and it is still quite powerful, but is starting to go downhill now. But it still has amazing compression. When these motors are brand new, it's next to imposssible to turn them over. This also may be true for the P5's and such. Never seen one run before
Old 07-19-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Adept

yes evo2 are fast. BUT. a few people have them here and have endless tuning problems. these people have raced for a while so they should know how to tune, but it never seems to tune right
Old 07-19-2005, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Really??, the only problems they have ever had with the engine was when they first tried the Kanai #1 edition and that they couldn't get it to run. They phoned Trinity and they said that the probel was that the engine wasn't broken in yet and that they needed to run a fuel with a lower oil content such as 8% like the platnium fuels. Ever since, the engine runs like a banshee.