Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 217 (100%+)
Default 3 gear conversion

Is there a list anywhere of what parts are needed to do it three gear conversion from a 4?
Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by F18engineguy
Is there a list anywhere of what parts are needed to do it three gear conversion from a 4?
You'll need the gear box, gear cover and motor plate for sure.. the only other thing I can think of would be the top shaft. Not sure if theyre the same or not. The CE topshaft does both.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:03 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 40yoCaliRacer
I just finished my B5M CE a couple weeks ago. My advice on the ball cups is to use the boiling water method instead of the squeezing with plier method. I just heated up a cup of water in the microwave for a minute or two. After installing the turnbuckles to the ball cups, I put a mini screw driver head through the ball cup and just let them sit in the the water for a minute. Flipped them over to the other side and did the same. When I put them on the ball stud they moved freely. Unfortunately, I didn't do this the first time around and had to do some breakdown when my front suspension was so tight it would just stay up when I pushed it up.
The best advice on tight ballcups, is IF you get tight ballcups, email AE and they will ship you out new ones as this issue has been fixed already.
Old 04-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tim Johnson
I'm just starting my B5M Lite. Any tips or things to watch out for during the build?
I advise you to do the glued in caster block insert (91400) alteration even though the set scew (4670) method would be superior
Old 04-17-2016, 05:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 38 (98%+)

building my first kit... b5m lite ,
after hours of contemplating between kits.... lol...
28 yrs in the hobby and this is my first kit...so should be interesting..

What are some must have upgrades? during the build?
Running mod set up, clay to hard pack dirt outdoor tracks
Thanks for the input guys !
Old 04-17-2016, 05:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You have a good car to start with. Don't get caught up with the upgrade bug until you have run a lot of laps and feel the car is holding you back.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plumber007

If running mod, build the kit to box setup. Get the correct turn motor for your layout, a few pinions for gearing tuning and most importantly the correct tire package for your track. Once you can run 10 consecutive laps without a mistake, start making changes to shave tenths off your time. Modified cars really need nothing as far as hopups go on a lite.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Seems Team AE fixed the tight ball cup deal. The cups in my kit are butter smooth and free without modification.

I have the chassis assembled now. Nothing gave me a single bit of problem. Although I will note that a shim or two should be used on the gear case were it bolts to the shock tower.

All I have left to do is shocks, electronics and paint.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:01 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by plumber007

As you are running outdoors- 3 things most importantly.

First & foremost- tyres, tyres, tyres. Get a range from very wet to bars. The very wets will last you ages but are important. The short pins/bar types is most likely what you'll churn through. Check at the track for what works when dry and get lots of them.

Second , weight distribution parts. Brass c & d blocks, maybe the battery weight plates.you could also use the different types of batteries to tune weight. Personally, I just use shorties with weights when needed.

Third, stuff for your shocks. Some springs, Pistons & oils. Check at the track for what range works for most conditions.

I'll just Just add ballstud washers, pinions & Spurs (personally I like the avid triad slipper, Schelle nova looks nice too) and make sure you have ride height & camber gauges.

Wow not cheap for the basics huh. For me I'd get some wing buttons too. Rather then use body clips. No biggie though.

If you must have a part upgrade, I'd go the alloy rear hubs first. Factory team AE or Schelle, both good.

You can tune for all conditions then.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:12 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F18engineguy
Top shaft is different.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jeffsims
Top shaft is different.
Only if you have the original b5m kit. The lite, CE, t5,sc5 all have the newer topshaft
Old 04-18-2016, 06:14 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
Only if you have the original b5m kit. The lite, CE, t5,sc5 all have the newer topshaft
You are indeed correct, only the older B5 and B5M kits have the V1 gearbox, the V2 gearbox was a running change to get rid of the smaller top shaft bearing. The V2 gearboxes are on all the newer kits right away.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xfbaap
Has anyone else purchased an Aluminum Bellcrank Set for there b5m or even t5m? Ive got the associated version and had to trim the servo case and chassis with a hobby knife to have enough clearance for the servo horn and ballstud. Im running a low pro savox and still had to trim. Now ive seen 3 other brands,jconcepts,rdrp,strc and every review is saying that they all bend and dont fit proper. Does anyone have any feedback??
I run the updated jconcepts bellcrank in my T5, associated aluminum bell cranks in my SC5M both with Reedy servos no trimming or grinding of any needed, 3 B5ms 2 with savox servos 1 with a K.O. servo, all 3 associated aluminum bell cranks no trimming of any kind or clearence issues. I have seen where the strc bell cranks cause clearence issues though.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:14 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

How many people are running the vtr/evo/61mm wheels and tires? I was told that Proline is discontinuing the VTR tires, due to low sales.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:13 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
How many people are running the vtr/evo/61mm wheels and tires? I was told that Proline is discontinuing the VTR tires, due to low sales.
I am running the 61mm with JCONCEPTS tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.