Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread >

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Like Tree54Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 03-09-2017, 12:23 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Old 01-29-2014, 08:31 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Well, I dont 100% agree. For medium bite indoor, sure. But outdoors on non sugared dirt, I can disagree. My b4 was way too twitchy with a shorty in 17.5 outdoors. I tried to mess with roll centers and shock packages, but I could never lay down power without the rear breaking loose. The car always felt better with a full pack and was easier to drive. The downside was some layouts would have jumps that were an issue. So I decided to split the difference. I ran a shorty and added wight in the tray a little at a time until the car calmed down. I was around 260 grams with the shorty and lead. When I ran indoors, I always ran the shorty with only 1/4oz in the rear triangles and the ballast. My tlr22 was the same way. even though the base car weighed a lot more than the b4, it also felt better with a fill pack than a shorty. In fact, my current car has a shorty in it and I am not really liking it. It feels better with a full pack. Again, indoor I ran a shorty and it was great. Anyone that ran sct 4x4 outdoors on loamy tracks will also confirm that light trucks just could not bet the power down. It was one of the reasons the sc10 4x4 sucked outdoors and owners when to the alum chassis and added a bunch of weight.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Well, I dont 100% agree. For medium bite indoor, sure. But outdoors on non sugared dirt, I can disagree. My b4 was way too twitchy with a shorty in 17.5 outdoors. I tried to mess with roll centers and shock packages, but I could never lay down power without the rear breaking loose. The car always felt better with a full pack and was easier to drive.
This may be an example of your just not having enough time to find the correct adjustment for the conditions. With more weight, the rear should be stepping out more, all other things being equal. More weight = more lateral load for the tires to manage.

This is very similar to when we ran weight in the B4 with lipo until the team found a setup that worked better at minimum weight (ironically, pretty similar to the base setup of the original B4, when 6-cell batteries were lighter than they became).
Old 01-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Prophet

yes, but weight also applies more friction. And it slows down the agility of the car, or makes it feel more calm. The b4 was always too twitchy for me. And Where the weight is can effect the pendulum effect. It the weight is more central, as it is with the battery, that weight is more split between the front and rear wheels. If its more in the rear, then you can overload that end of the car and swing it. But IMO its a balancing act. You dont want too much or too little weight. Imagine if the car weighed 1oz with an 6.5 motor. You would be hard pressed to get much of that power to the ground. My point is, you need the right amount of weight, for a given amount of power on a given surface. You can go too far in either direction. Some people like very nimble cars... I dont like them. I prefer a more balanced feel from front to rear traction.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Last edited by C.Borgia; 01-29-2014 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Coffee
Old 01-29-2014, 10:02 AM
Tech Prophet

that was not the conversation, but thank you for your input.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So guys looks like in getting the b5m and going to dump 200$ on factory team hop ups
Old 01-29-2014, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Ooorrrrr… Just buy both buggies
Old 01-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by C4PT4IN
Ooorrrrr… Just buy both buggies
I would it my heli wasn't being a pay in the ass lately
Old 01-29-2014, 10:26 AM
Tech Regular

Well upgrades it is then

There is already a complete stainless steel set out there for the buggy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC10B5-Buggy..._qi=RTM1562569
Old 01-29-2014, 10:35 AM
Tech Addict

Well upgrades it is then

There is already a complete stainless steel set out there for the buggy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RC10B5-Buggy..._qi=RTM1562569
What advantage does that give?
Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Davidka
Weight is a band-aid for setup. Remember when guys would put 6oz under their lipo batteries? Dakotah Phend just posted that he only runs 7gm in his 22 MM, a car with a reputation for needing a lot of weight.

If lots of weight must be added then either the setup hasn't been worked out (which can understandably take a while) or the car has adjustment limitations (Link locations, available spring rates, etc) to reach the right setup.
It might be worth noting that more and more drivers are moving to a short servo in their c4.2, which is something like 20 grams less up front.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by xTotalghost
What advantage does that give?
nothing Your screws will be 'shiny' though, but that's about it!

Originally Posted by C.Borgia
It might be worth noting that more and more drivers are moving to a short servo in their c4.2, which is something like 20 grams less up front.
I can understand if people are worrying about stock class and saving weight in one place to put it where you want it somewhere else, but I like the extra 20 grams up front. And with how the plates on the chassis are designed it won't even give more room for the electronics so unless those 20 grams make a big difference, I don't see why. But I've never read too much into it either so that might be part of it
Old 01-29-2014, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

I can understand if people are worrying about stock class and saving weight in one place to put it where you want it somewhere else, but I like the extra 20 grams up front. And with how the plates on the chassis are designed it won't even give more room for the electronics so unless those 20 grams make a big difference, I don't see why. But I've never read too much into it either so that might be part of it
You are right that it will not give more room in either of the b5's. I only mean to point out that it is worth trying pulling weight instead of adding weight, as davidka has tried to point out the problems of simply piling on weight. In short, The c4.2 seems to me to be more forgiving when coming on power with less weight up front. I'm wondering if we have to reconsider how weight transfer works on mm cars and not think only in terms of rm weight transfer.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:50 AM
Tech Prophet

Shorty servos are often used on open chassis for space. The b5 is not open. The servo area is closed off. IMO, the full size servos are more durable and have better speed and torque specs. But in some cars, you need to run a shorty servo or it just does not work.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:55 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by C.Borgia
You are right that it will not give more room in either of the b5's. I only mean to point out that it is worth trying pulling weight instead of adding weight, as davidka has tried to point out the problems of simply piling on weight. In short, The c4.2 seems to me to be more forgiving when coming on power with less weight up front. I'm wondering if we have to reconsider how weight transfer works on mm cars and not think only in terms of rm weight transfer.
yeah, its not just weight, its also weight transfer. how the chassis uses that weight on/off power or in a corner, or powering in a straight line. The is kinda the point of MM. The shifting of weight forward. What bother me is shifting the weight forward, then strapping a 50gram weight on the rear of the car, 30 grams on the sides and using a brass from toe plate. I am hoping the AE MM is designed with the right weigh balance out of the box. Or at least very close. Adding a couple 1/4oz weights is fine. These cars tossing on $100 in brass to function, dont seem properly designed for MM. The xfactory is very light in MM and appears to gave great traction. Maybe, too much traction in the rear. So it can be done and I hope AE gets it right.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.