Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree137Likes

Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 04-22-2024, 12:09 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Team Associated RC10 B5m Mid-Motor & Rear Motor Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RCBuddha
Quick link to the front page

First Page

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

The atmosphere in this thread has improved 1000% since WC's mandatory vacation. People can post their ideas and opinions without the inevitable contradictory and condescending opinion from you know who. I know I'm beating a dead horse but I feel like it can't be over-stated for the mods who are watching. I've avoided posting in the past simply because of his presence. It's been a breath of fresh air.
Old 08-31-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Adept

can someone tell me which Caster Block Bushing goes on top and bottom please. Thanks
Old 08-31-2014, 12:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

So thats what free ball cups feel like huh? Great tip. Read about it a few days ago and been meaning to try it. Works like a charm.

I did completely destroy one cup though, luckily I had an extra on hand.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

So I finally got to run my B5M for the first time this week! Though it wasn't on a track... I received and built the car in June/July and its just been sitting ever since because I've been working a summer job in Northern Wisconsin near no tracks... Very far from the Chicago area I'm used to racing in. Now that I'm back at school at least I'm closer to some tracks and will hopefully be able to actually race it soon!

In the meantime I took the car out on our marching band practice field which is astroturf. I had some Proline carpet tires as I will eventually race the car on indoor carpet this winter (along with clay). With my B44.2 I found that high grip clay and carpet set ups are usually pretty similar- with the exception of slamming the car down on carpet.

I installed an Orion R10 Pro and Reedy Sonic 7.5 Mach 1. I'm using the massive Spektrum SR300 receiver- but I think I did a very good job of fitting everything in the car. I didn't cut any of the plastic in the car... yet. I did however dremel a little slot out of the receiver to fit in the tray. This allows me to run both a shorty or a saddle/brick!

Besides the aluminum A block the car is box stock. I installed an Upgrade RC chassis protector on the bottom.

I should start off by saying I have never driven a 2wd buggy before (I just started with 4wd after a touring car background) As far as handling goes I noticed that it has great off power steering- but had a lot of understeer on power. I'm sure I could tune the car to better suit the conditions but I was just bashing for now. I ran both the saddle and shorty and noticed the car was much more reactive and responsive with the shorty. It seemed a tad sluggish and slower handling with the saddle. I'm not changing much yet as I want to see how jumps/rougher terrain affect the car. Overall I am pleased with the car so far!

Here's some pics of my electronics set-up:

Old 08-31-2014, 12:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearit
can someone tell me which Caster Block Bushing goes on top and bottom please. Thanks
Either way is correct but the "right" way to start is with the bigger bushing on the bottom.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Just sold one of my B5M's. Need someone to talk me out of selling my other one to get a RB6
Old 08-31-2014, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by suby723
Either way is correct but the "right" way to start is with the bigger bushing on the bottom.
thank you
Old 08-31-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mschumi101
So I finally got to run my B5M for the first time this week! Though it wasn't on a track... I received and built the car in June/July and its just been sitting ever since because I've been working a summer job in Northern Wisconsin near no tracks... Very far from the Chicago area I'm used to racing in. Now that I'm back at school at least I'm closer to some tracks and will hopefully be able to actually race it soon!

In the meantime I took the car out on our marching band practice field which is astroturf. I had some Proline carpet tires as I will eventually race the car on indoor carpet this winter (along with clay). With my B44.2 I found that high grip clay and carpet set ups are usually pretty similar- with the exception of slamming the car down on carpet.

I installed an Orion R10 Pro and Reedy Sonic 7.5 Mach 1. I'm using the massive Spektrum SR300 receiver- but I think I did a very good job of fitting everything in the car. I didn't cut any of the plastic in the car... yet. I did however dremel a little slot out of the receiver to fit in the tray. This allows me to run both a shorty or a saddle/brick!

Besides the aluminum A block the car is box stock. I installed an Upgrade RC chassis protector on the bottom.

I should start off by saying I have never driven a 2wd buggy before (I just started with 4wd after a touring car background) As far as handling goes I noticed that it has great off power steering- but had a lot of understeer on power. I'm sure I could tune the car to better suit the conditions but I was just bashing for now. I ran both the saddle and shorty and noticed the car was much more reactive and responsive with the shorty. It seemed a tad sluggish and slower handling with the saddle. I'm not changing much yet as I want to see how jumps/rougher terrain affect the car. Overall I am pleased with the car so far!

Here's some pics of my electronics set-up:

never seen the red o-rings on the shock bushings before. does that eliminate a good amount of the slop? kinda cool
Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

So in general what "hard" parts are they running up front?

Front Shock Tower
Front Caster Blocks

Are they running hard spindles?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer_guy
never seen the red o-rings on the shock bushings before. does that eliminate a good amount of the slop? kinda cool
Yeah. When I built it I noticed a lot of slop in that area. I built the shocks with the x-rings so I just used the leftover red o-rings around the shocks. They may seem a little tight at first but they eventually free up. They eliminate all that slop while still allowing the shocks to pivot if needed.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE]
[QUOTE]

do you run tire inserts up front ?

I have been running on AstroTurf lately with my b5m and after a late night gluing session of tires forgot to put in the inserts, but I have found them to work very well with out them.

ed

Last edited by Edwin Pibal; 08-31-2014 at 03:52 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 08-31-2014, 03:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gearit
There is no right or wrong placement. If you want more exit steering you raise the axle. If you want more entry steering you lower the axle. Depends what tuning you are looking for.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Just bought a b5rm and converting it to mm and will run it in stock.what gearing for 17.5 d4 motor
Old 08-31-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default B5M vs RB6

Hi guys,

Anyone here came from a RB6 (MM)? I am thinking of swopping my RB6 for a B5M, but would like to understand the difference is handling characteristics before diving in please.

I would like to ask some questions for mod, assuming same set-up, tires, prep etc.

Questions:

1. Which has more rear grip in medium to high bite clay conditions?

2. Which has better parts quality? Durability?
Old 09-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I just put on the aluminum rear hubs and camber link. I was running the stock setup prior to this (middle hole up on the hubs and +2 on the camber block). The hubs had instructions on which hole and spacing to get the stock position. Am I correct in understanding that on the camber block I either need to run it in the +2 side up with 0 spacers or -2 side up and 4mm spacers on the ball? Thanks for the help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.